Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Newbie:Gib/costa? Alarms?

Newbie:Gib/costa? Alarms?

Old Oct 14th 2004, 9:36 pm
Just Joined

dee_m is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Newbie:Gib/costa? Alarms?

Hope someone out there can help?? My husband is an alarm/cctv engineer and we are making the move to Spain early next year. The problem we have is we love the area's around Gibraltar but are unsure if there would be work for us there or in Gib. Hubby is learning Spanish and I speak quite well (but not fluent). I was born in Gibraltar but have lived in England all my life and wonder if this would be of any benifit to me? or does it make no difference?
I have spent a lot of time in La- Linea and surrounding areas and have Spanish family there, but they are unable to advise us of the work availabilty. As a second choice we will go to Almeria where we stayed in April (on one of our exploratary missions). There is a lot of bulding work going on and many brits have moved there , and we have been told that there would be work as it is an 'up and coming area'.
Old Oct 14th 2004, 11:02 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbie:Gib/costa? Alarms?

Being born in Gibraltar would only be an issue if you wanted to live or work in Gib - you should have 'belonger status' in Gibraltar and may be able to sponsor your husband for residence there on that basis.

Although I thought British citizens could live and work freely in Gibraltar anyway. Best thing I can suggest is to contact the Gib government and ask them how you and your husband fit into the Gibraltar immigration laws.
http://www.gibraltar.gov.gi

Jeremy

Originally Posted by dee_m
Hope someone out there can help?? My husband is an alarm/cctv engineer and we are making the move to Spain early next year. The problem we have is we love the area's around Gibraltar but are unsure if there would be work for us there or in Gib. Hubby is learning Spanish and I speak quite well (but not fluent). I was born in Gibraltar but have lived in England all my life and wonder if this would be of any benifit to me? or does it make no difference?
I have spent a lot of time in La- Linea and surrounding areas and have Spanish family there, but they are unable to advise us of the work availabilty. As a second choice we will go to Almeria where we stayed in April (on one of our exploratary missions). There is a lot of bulding work going on and many brits have moved there , and we have been told that there would be work as it is an 'up and coming area'.
Old Oct 15th 2004, 6:38 am
Very Old Member!

ScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud of
Lightbulb Re: Newbie:Gib/costa? Alarms?

Originally Posted by dee_m
As a second choice we will go to Almeria where we stayed in April (on one of our exploratary missions). There is a lot of bulding work going on and many brits have moved there , and we have been told that there would be work as it is an 'up and coming area'.
Hi dee_m,

Most of Gib and that end of the Costa del Sol probably have alarms already fitted however, if you look ay any of the web sites for the Almeria area, they ALL say FIT AN ALARM AS SOON AS YOU MOVE IN so there may be a market there. Domestic crime is much higher there than further west. The Costa de la Luz also has enormous amount of new building going on at present, so that may be somewhere else to investigate.

Best of luck in your venture

Jock