Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Moving to Belgium, please help?!

Moving to Belgium, please help?!

Old Apr 25th 2018, 9:02 am
Just Joined

DomKitty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Belgium, please help?!

I am looking for more information about moving to Belgium. The reason for moving is to be with my boyfriend who is a Belgian National (I'm a UK National)

The information I'm looking for is:

- Where/how do I apply for residency (the town I'd be moving to is Izegem)
- What documents are required
- If there is a way of declaring his address as my official residence, but keeping our financial statuses separate
- If there is any help with integration (language courses, English speaking work while learning the language etc)

Any help you can give would be massively appreciated! If you don't know but know where to go to get it, please can you let me know that instead?

Thank you!
DomKitty
Old May 1st 2018, 12:43 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Belgium, please help?!

Originally Posted by DomKitty
I am looking for more information about moving to Belgium. The reason for moving is to be with my boyfriend who is a Belgian National (I'm a UK National)

- If there is a way of declaring his address as my official residence, but keeping our financial statuses separate
- If there is any help with integration (language courses, English speaking work while learning the language etc)

Any help you can give would be massively appreciated! If you don't know but know where to go to get it, please can you let me know that instead?

Thank you!
DomKitty
To register as a resident, first make enquiries at the local town hall;

Stadhuis Izegem
Korenmarkt 10, 8870 Izegem

Take a Flemish speaker along with you...

As a UK national, a valid passport should be enough documentation to get you on the books.

Registering at his address will be ok, can't answer on the separate finance question, but maybe you're just renting a room?

No idea what they might ask as 'proof of support' either - I'm guessing from your question that you will be job-hunting?

Likewise for assistance with integration, from what I've found so far it varies from one commune/Province to another.

Good luck!
Old Nov 21st 2018, 3:07 pm
Just Joined

SA UK now BE is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DomKitty

Thank you!
DomKitty
Hello

Are you all sorted now?
I’ve just had a really bad time settling in Belgium so if you are still looking for advice I can give some hints at what pitfalls to look out for.
Old Nov 21st 2018, 3:24 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SA UK now BE

Hello

Are you all sorted now?
I’ve just had a really bad time settling in Belgium so if you are still looking for advice I can give some hints at what pitfalls to look out for.
The thread starter hasn't posted anything since that single post in April, so I suspect doesn't come to the site any more.