Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Moving abroad with a criminal record in the UK.

Moving abroad with a criminal record in the UK.

Old Feb 24th 2017, 2:00 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving abroad with a criminal record in the UK.

Originally Posted by SortingHat
Hi Red Eric, thank you for your message! It is very much appreciated. Yes Portugal may be an option and I'd be more than happy to move there with my brother as we also have some family history there, and times before when we've visited, we've absolutely loved the place. May I ask how long ago you made the move?
I've been here 12 very happy years this year and it never crosses my mind to be anywhere else, except for the occasional short holiday.

Originally Posted by SortingHat
If worst does indeed come to worst, it may be his preferred option as I've recently read how hard it is to move to Italy and sustain one's self without solid work which is dwindling in the more expat-friendly areas. I really enjoyed the Portuguese culture and I think he would benefit from the change in scenery and climate.
Unfortunately the one thing Portugal lacks is a surfeit of paid employment. I'm afraid that if you or your brother would be dependent on generating an income wherever you settle on, it's probably not the country for you unless you have either a skill that's in demand or money to invest in setting up a suitable business.

However, if you could guarantee enough earnings through your online business, that could be an option. If you want a chat about possibilities in Portugal, pop over to the country forum and ask in there for a wider range of input. Some of them will probably sound a bit gloomy about prospects, but I think there's one or two running online businesses remotely so they could be useful. And they'll probably be able to let you know about the NHR tax regime (NHR = non-habitual resident but it applies to new residents in this context) and whether it might apply to you, too. That might be very attractive if it does.
Old Feb 27th 2017, 3:34 pm
Just Joined

SortingHat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving abroad with a criminal record in the UK.

Originally Posted by Red Eric
I've been here 12 very happy years this year and it never crosses my mind to be anywhere else, except for the occasional short holiday.

Unfortunately the one thing Portugal lacks is a surfeit of paid employment. I'm afraid that if you or your brother would be dependent on generating an income wherever you settle on, it's probably not the country for you unless you have either a skill that's in demand or money to invest in setting up a suitable business.

However, if you could guarantee enough earnings through your online business, that could be an option. If you want a chat about possibilities in Portugal, pop over to the country forum and ask in there for a wider range of input. Some of them will probably sound a bit gloomy about prospects, but I think there's one or two running online businesses remotely so they could be useful. And they'll probably be able to let you know about the NHR tax regime (NHR = non-habitual resident but it applies to new residents in this context) and whether it might apply to you, too. That might be very attractive if it does.
I understand, thank you for the wise words there! I think I would be able to sustain myself with my online business, but my brother would need more suitable work as he has never wanted to claim benefits or anything of the sort but has a limited skill set due to his conditions. I think worst came to worst, I would just save up as much as possible for him and live a thrifty life in Portugal so he's still taken care of if and when we made the move.

I'll definitely check out that section of the forum and give all the business related posts a good read. Thank you so much for your input on this, it's really appreciated!