Reload this Page >

Move to UK from Ireland

Move to UK from Ireland

Old Oct 13th 2016, 7:51 am
Just Joined

Lady Nada is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Move to UK from Ireland

Hi folks
Was not sure where to post this! I am living in Ireland (Rep) and while I've been considering leaving for many years the fear of the unknown was there. I'm ready now to go and wish I could pack up and go in the morning! I had been considering Canada but having gotten advice and info I feel I need to consider other options too as it won't be easy. I love the UK visit regularly and am now wondering if it is risky to plan a move to the UK in the summer of 2017 considering the impending Brexit. One person said I could be there and working etc and then be sent back once the exit kicks in? I have a teenage son and do not want to upset his life if it will have to be upset again if this is the case. I'm a qualified Social Worker with over ten years experience also management experience I also lecture part time on a social care degree course here. Really want out of here fresh start and all that so any advice would be so gratefully received 😊
Old Oct 13th 2016, 8:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Move to UK from Ireland

Originally Posted by Lady Nada
Hi folks
Was not sure where to post this! I am living in Ireland (Rep) and while I've been considering leaving for many years the fear of the unknown was there. I'm ready now to go and wish I could pack up and go in the morning! I had been considering Canada but having gotten advice and info I feel I need to consider other options too as it won't be easy. I love the UK visit regularly and am now wondering if it is risky to plan a move to the UK in the summer of 2017 considering the impending Brexit. One person said I could be there and working etc and then be sent back once the exit kicks in? I have a teenage son and do not want to upset his life if it will have to be upset again if this is the case. I'm a qualified Social Worker with over ten years experience also management experience I also lecture part time on a social care degree course here. Really want out of here fresh start and all that so any advice would be so gratefully received 😊
Nobody knows the impact of Brexit yet but I doubt you'll be sent home, especially with a job. I'm in Ireland myself and I'm certain that the UK and Ireland will have some sort of agreement. Of course you'll have other challenges like your teenage son. A move to the UK from Ireland or vice versa is the easiest move possible though and like anywhere it will depend where you'll be living and what you can get for the money you're earning.
Old Oct 13th 2016, 9:14 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Nobody knows the impact of Brexit yet but I doubt you'll be sent home, especially with a job. I'm in Ireland myself and I'm certain that the UK and Ireland will have some sort of agreement. Of course you'll have other challenges like your teenage son. A move to the UK from Ireland or vice versa is the easiest move possible though and like anywhere it will depend where you'll be living and what you can get for the money you're earning.
Thank you for your reply, I really wouldn't know where I'd want to live i have been trying to do some research on best places to live with kids etc I am currently sending my qualifications for assessment so u can register to practice as I have been advised I won't even get an interview unless I am registered ad eligible to work which makes sense! Any suggestions on places to live? Need to do some research on schools and the system too my son is the most important here and I want him happy in school. I have a relative who is a teacher in the UK so she will be able to help me out there I'm sure.
Old Oct 13th 2016, 9:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for your reply, I really wouldn't know where I'd want to live i have been trying to do some research on best places to live with kids etc I am currently sending my qualifications for assessment so u can register to practice as I have been advised I won't even get an interview unless I am registered ad eligible to work which makes sense! Any suggestions on places to live? Need to do some research on schools and the system too my son is the most important here and I want him happy in school. I have a relative who is a teacher in the UK so she will be able to help me out there I'm sure.
I think it's pointless to focus on best areas to live now and I would first look at where you can actually get a job first and then see what people think. While one area might be great for the qualified accountant who can afford private schools, doesn't mean there will be many jobs in your field etc. and one person might be happy living in a studio apartment and the other person wants a house with garden but might not be possible with the salary in a certain area.

People move for various reasons and it just seems you need a change. Without a child I would say you have nothing to lose but of course you have to be sensible. I left the UK a while ago and am happier here in the West of Ireland than back in Kent, because I just get more for my money and I hated the traffic and the areas I could afford looked very run down (personal view). It would be the same if I had to live in Dublin though and has nothing to do with the country. I could have happily lived in Devon & Cornwall if the salaries would have matched the house prices at the time and there are plenty of other nice affordable areas in the UK if you can secure a job.

Last edited by Moses2013; Oct 13th 2016 at 10:13 am.
Old Oct 13th 2016, 10:13 am
Just Joined

I think it's pointless to focus on best areas to live now and I would first look at where you can actually get a job first and then see what people think. While one area might be great for the qualified accountant who can afford private schools, doesn't mean there will be many jobs in your field etc. and one person might be happy living in a studio apartment and the other person wants a house with garden but might not be possible with the salary in a certain area.

People move for various reasons and it just seems you need a change. Without a child I would say you have nothing to lose but of course you have to be sensible. I left the UK a while ago and am happier here in the West of Ireland than back in Kent, because I just get more for my money and I hated the traffic and the areas I could afford looked very run down (personal view). It would be the same if I had to live in Dublin though and has nothing to do with the country. I could have happily lived in Devon & Cornwall if the salaries would have matched the house prices at the time and there are plenty of other nice affordable areas in the UK if you can secure a job.
Thanks! I'm in the west of Ireland too to be honest I have outgrown my home town and experienced a lot of let's say difficult times here for one reason or another and I just want out of here I have wanted to leave for a long time but was afraid to leave a permanent job which I just left now due to pressure and stress anyway! I suppose my main concern is my son, if it were just me id have left a long time ago. I don't particularly want to live a life with long commits and traffic jams to work either !! I just do not know where to start looking location wise. I have started job searching to see what's available and where etc
Thanks again for all the help
Old Oct 13th 2016, 11:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks! I'm in the west of Ireland too to be honest I have outgrown my home town and experienced a lot of let's say difficult times here for one reason or another and I just want out of here I have wanted to leave for a long time but was afraid to leave a permanent job which I just left now due to pressure and stress anyway! I suppose my main concern is my son, if it were just me id have left a long time ago. I don't particularly want to live a life with long commits and traffic jams to work either !! I just do not know where to start looking location wise. I have started job searching to see what's available and where etc
Thanks again for all the help
I can understand if it's your hometown and you might have the feeling that you are missing something if you've never left and maybe other things have added to that. Main focus should be getting a job first before making any decisions. No matter where you are in the world, you'll have challenges and some people win and others lose. Some people need to move to appreciate what they have/had and others make the move for a better life. I think you are doing the right thing to see where you can find work first, be it UK/Canada. If it doesn't work out, maybe moving to a different town in Ireland might help.
Old Oct 13th 2016, 3:55 pm
Just Joined

I can understand if it's your hometown and you might have the feeling that you are missing something if you've never left and maybe other things have added to that. Main focus should be getting a job first before making any decisions. No matter where you are in the world, you'll have challenges and some people win and others lose. Some people need to move to appreciate what they have/had and others make the move for a better life. I think you are doing the right thing to see where you can find work first, be it UK/Canada. If it doesn't work out, maybe moving to a different town in Ireland might help.
Thanks again for the very sound advice, I lived in Dublin for best part of 2 years about ten years ago I loved it! It's great when your single and have only yourself to think about! I think the best thing is to get qualification assessed and job searching also I'm checking rents in areas where I see jobs etc thank you so much for all your help for taking the time out of your day to reply ☺️
Old Oct 13th 2016, 4:04 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

The UK and Ireland have historic ties that far predate the European Onion, and the Common Market before it, so IMO it is highly unlikely that Brexit will break those historic ties (Irish citizens moving to the UK can register to vote in all elections, unlike other immigrants to the UK) which have always allowed freedom of movement between the UK and Ireland.

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 13th 2016 at 4:07 pm.
Old Oct 13th 2016, 5:00 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
The UK and Ireland have historic ties that far predate the European Onion, and the Common Market before it, so IMO it is highly unlikely that Brexit will break those historic ties (Irish citizens moving to the UK can register to vote in all elections, unlike other immigrants to the UK) which have always allowed freedom of movement between the UK and Ireland.
Thank you for your reply I appreciate your advice. I want to move mid 2017 but need to figure out specific location. Any advice?
Old Oct 13th 2016, 5:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Job First. Everything else comes after that.
Old Oct 13th 2016, 5:08 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for your reply I appreciate your advice. I want to move mid 2017 but need to figure out specific location. Any advice?
Originally Posted by scot47
Wot Scot said.

Whether you are moving to another town, across the Irish Sea, or laf way around the world, getting a job sorted has to the #1 priority for most people.

That said the cost of living in London and the SE is very high, so I'd recommend the SW, West Midlands, or north Yorkshire/Lancashire area. Be aware that if you move to Wales your son will have to study Welsh at school - I think that it is mandatory in all counties of Wales.

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 13th 2016 at 5:16 pm.
Old Oct 13th 2016, 5:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Agree ++

Even if you have a great desire to leave your hometown, moving to somewhere and being out of work would be even more of a misery - especially with a child in tow.

You say you are a Social Worker - must be plenty of websites of various towns. cities, not to mention the Social Services websites themselves which have job vacancies. See how you get on with getting interviews etc.
Old Oct 13th 2016, 7:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Agree ++

Even if you have a great desire to leave your hometown, moving to somewhere and being out of work would be even more of a misery - especially with a child in tow.

You say you are a Social Worker - must be plenty of websites of various towns. cities, not to mention the Social Services websites themselves which have job vacancies. See how you get on with getting interviews etc.
Thanks
I should have made that clear sorry I won't go anywhere until insecure a job it's a must when I have my son to consider! I am just anxious I suppose to know where are not places to go as with any country and as in Ireland there are places I would not live and that is absolutely no disrespect to anyone
Old Oct 13th 2016, 7:39 pm

... I am just anxious I suppose to know where are not places to go as with any country and as in Ireland there are places I would not live and that is absolutely no disrespect to anyone
There are parts of pretty much every city or town that should be avoided if you can afford to live elsewhere, but I can't think of any British city that should be avoided in its entirety, so I would be reasonably sure that you will be able to find somewhere to live within a reasonable commute of pretty much any job you find ..... so long as you avoid London, because of the cost.

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 13th 2016 at 8:52 pm.
Old Oct 13th 2016, 8:41 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
There are parts of pretty much every city or town that should be avoided of you can afford to live elsewhere, but I can't think of any British city that should be avoided in its entirety, so I would be reasonably sure that you will be able to find somewhere to live within a reasonable commute of pretty much any job you find ..... so long as you avoid London, because of the cost.
Thanks for that everyone is so helpful thank you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.