Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Move to Spain or move to Italy?

Move to Spain or move to Italy?

Old Nov 1st 2007, 2:23 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Move to Spain or move to Italy?

Originally Posted by overdriven

If you could do it all over again, or even just for the first time, what would you do, and why?
I missed this thread, sorry! I am in a unique position, I live in Italy but my husband and his business partner have a place in Southern Spain. My choice is to live in Italy and holiday in Spain. jdr will say I am being a hypocrite ! I don't like the cold and wet we are having here in Italy at the moment and I do miss the ease with which you can buy UK goods in Spain, BUT, for me a big plus is the culture. I know Spain has culture and museums but you do have to go inland for that. I live in Florence, so I'm surrounded by the great works of history, which is important for me. Also I have carved out a life similar to that which I had in the UK but with better weather, most of the time and, to me, more attractive surroundings. It felt a little weird in Spain, like being on permanent holiday, which sounds great I know, but became a little wearing for me after a while.

Here I can walk to the shops, walk my daughter to school, pop into friends for coffee. It feels very familiar. As I say, not a lot different to the lifestyle I had in the UK. You may say why do it then? Well, why not really?! It is different enough here, but not enough that I feel alien. I also happen to have picked the most English of cities in Italy, language wise. Where I live there are less English speakers but the centre is so popular with us and the Americans that most people speak English in the shops and restaurants.

Maybe I should be comparing like with like, but as most here live on the coast of Spain I have to assume that is where you are talking about too. For me I just needed more than sun, sea and sand! I'm fairly sure I would feel the same about living on the Italian coast too!