Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Looking To Make The Move- Suggestions?

Looking To Make The Move- Suggestions?

Old Mar 14th 2016, 8:10 pm
Just Joined

Tomhgriff1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Looking To Make The Move- Suggestions?

Sorry for the broad question but i know lots of you will have opinions on where you most enjoy living.

But where is good for a businessman to move to? I am fortunate in that I can work remotely and i am a bit depressed in the UK. The weather, the high taxes, the non stop political tit for tat arguing. I dont need to go on i'm sure.

I'm 32, single and can work remotely so I am pretty much free to move where I like.

My requirements for my ideal place is.

1/ Low taxes and business friendly
2/ Warm and sunny
3/ Friendly people
4/ Vibrant and lively
5/ Not too far from the UK as I dont want to lose the ability to see my family regularly (this is the only thing stopping me from moving)

I have friends in Spain so is an option but get the impression tax rates are very high.

Cyprus is looking a good option, taxes low, nice weather but i'm not sure about day to day living, hear mixed reviews from Club Med revelers to nothing but retirees (no offence to either group but I don't fall into either category)

I would love to hear you more seasoned travelers views?

Thanks a lot
Tom
Old Mar 15th 2016, 1:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking To Make The Move- Suggestions?

Originally Posted by Tomhgriff1
But where is good for a businessman to move to?

It just depends on the business and how you want to live, but looking at the ease of business rankings UK is actually always at the top. When it comes to warm and sunny, you only really have a few options for your requirements and they would be Portugal & Spain. Cyprus is not great for business and very close to Syria. You'd probably then be better off in Greece, Italy, Croatia or maybe Malta if you like small and crowded.
Old Mar 15th 2016, 1:22 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry for the broad question but i know lots of you will have opinions on where you most enjoy living.

But where is good for a businessman to move to? I am fortunate in that I can work remotely and i am a bit depressed in the UK. The weather, the high taxes, the non stop political tit for tat arguing. I dont need to go on i'm sure.

I'm 32, single and can work remotely so I am pretty much free to move where I like.

My requirements for my ideal place is.

1/ Low taxes and business friendly
2/ Warm and sunny
3/ Friendly people
4/ Vibrant and lively
5/ Not too far from the UK as I dont want to lose the ability to see my family regularly (this is the only thing stopping me from moving)

I have friends in Spain so is an option but get the impression tax rates are very high.

Cyprus is looking a good option, taxes low, nice weather but i'm not sure about day to day living, hear mixed reviews from Club Med revelers to nothing but retirees (no offence to either group but I don't fall into either category)

I would love to hear you more seasoned travelers views?

Thanks a lot
Tom
Hi, and welcome to the forum!
France ticks most of the boxes, depending where you would choose to live, BUT
1/ won't suit you!
You would have to set up a French business structure, with all the bureaucracy involved, but it would at least get you into the French Social Security System. Take a look in the France forum (in the Read-Me Moving to France FAQs) for most aspects of living in France. If you're interested, post directly on the France forum with more details about your UK business!
Old Mar 15th 2016, 1:32 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the replies so far!

Hi Dmu, wow. France? I wasnt expecting that? I thought they were very high in tax. Corp tax is over 30% i think and then tax on assets etc? I think Number 1 on my list is a main priority as I already think UK taxes are too high.

My business is all digital. I am involved in investments/trading and also have a webdesign company. So not really dealing in phsysical goods often.

Hi Moses 2013, interesting points about Cyprus as that was high on my list to explore. Other suggestions seem good.
Old Mar 15th 2016, 1:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies so far!

Hi Dmu, wow. France? I wasnt expecting that? I thought they were very high in tax. Corp tax is over 30% i think and then tax on assets etc? I think Number 1 on my list is a main priority as I already think UK taxes are too high.

My business is all digital. I am involved in investments/trading and also have a webdesign company. So not really dealing in phsysical goods often.

Hi Moses 2013, interesting points about Cyprus as that was high on my list to explore. Other suggestions seem good.

Sure, Cyprus might look interesting with the same corporate tax rate we have here in Ireland, but you also have a lot of red tape too. It's over 4 hours (flight) away and very close to politically unstable areas.

You're certainly better off keeping your business registered in countries where you have a high ease of business ranking, especially if it's digital.

Just because you spend a bit more time in Spain, doesn't mean you have to register it there, but of course you need to check with a lawyer or expert in that field regarding taxes etc.

Last edited by Moses2013; Mar 15th 2016 at 1:46 pm.
Old Mar 15th 2016, 1:46 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Moses
Old Mar 15th 2016, 4:04 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

I did say that 1/ wouldn't suit!!
Old Mar 15th 2016, 7:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

teejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond repute

I am involved in investments/trading and also have a webdesign company.
I am glad you have revealed the nature of your income, as this often makes a difference in the way it is taxed.

Purely from a taxation point of view, the clear choice would be Cyprus. This is because profits from trading in securities is not taxable. Therefore, only the web design income would be subject to tax.

There is also a non-dom regime, whereby passive offshore income (dividends etc.) can be received free of tax.

Both of these tax breaks could be used to your benefit. The personal allowance is €19,500.

Whether Cyprus would suit you from a lifestyle point of view, only you can decide.
Old Mar 15th 2016, 7:49 pm
Just Joined

Very helpful teejaydee, thanks
Old Mar 15th 2016, 8:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

teejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond repute

Very helpful teejaydee, thanks
No problem. I have undertaken a lot of research into the tax treatment on share trading and investment, and am happy to pass on my findings.

Another country you may wish to consider is Croatia. There is no CGT on profits from trading securites, but dividends would be taxable.

As for France, Spain, etc., you will be hammered tax-wise.
Old Mar 15th 2016, 8:17 pm
Just Joined

Thanks! More very interesting information.

I know a load of people that moved to Croatia and always wondered why. I knew there had to be some sort of deal like that.

Although if it's anything like the UK.. if trading is your main source of income you are taxed as income not CGT's so no savings to be had.
Old Mar 15th 2016, 8:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

I know a load of people that moved to Croatia and always wondered why. I knew there had to be some sort of deal like that.
When it comes to choosing a low-tax environment, the source of the income can be crucial. The obvious tax-free countries like Monaco are expensive to live in. That's why it's necessary to identify specific tax breaks in otherwise high tax countries. For share traders, Cyprus and Croatia are good choices. For share investors, the choice is wider, but there is a minimum holding period for the shares. The risk of course, is that tax breaks will be removed, and indeed, that has happened.

If you are considering Croatia, the best parts (climate-wise) are the Istrian peninsular the Dalmatian coast. I lived for a time in Split, and it was very nice.

Although if it's anything like the UK.. if trading is your main source of income you are taxed as income not CGT's so no savings to be had.
I have already taken that into account before suggesting Cyprus and Croatia. You're right that most countries will tax you at income tax rates if you are a frequent trader, but this is not the case in these two countries.
Old Mar 15th 2016, 8:46 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by teejaydee
When it comes to choosing a low-tax environment, the source of the income can be crucial. The obvious tax-free countries like Monaco are expensive to live in. That's why it's necessary to identify specific tax breaks in otherwise high tax countries. For share traders, Cyprus and Croatia are good choices. For share investors, the choice is wider, but there is a minimum holding period for the shares. The risk of course, is that tax breaks will be removed, and indeed, that has happened.

If you are considering Croatia, the best parts (climate-wise) are the Istrian peninsular the Dalmatian coast. I lived for a time in Split, and it was very nice.

I have already taken that into account before suggesting Cyprus and Croatia. You're right that most countries will tax you at income tax rates if you are a frequent trader, but this is not the case in these two countries.
Many thanks Teejaydee you clearly know your stuff
Old Mar 31st 2016, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

Rural Bulgaria is just really niceRural Bulgaria is just really niceRural Bulgaria is just really niceRural Bulgaria is just really niceRural Bulgaria is just really niceRural Bulgaria is just really niceRural Bulgaria is just really niceRural Bulgaria is just really nice

Having lived and worked in France and run a French business there would not advice it for tax. It is very expensive. Lot of upfront fees. We now have a house in Austria (for sale) and have many Dutch friends that have moved here as much cheaper than Holland apparently and they run guest houses, building businesses etc. We don't actually work in Austria. It does have quite a generous allowance before tax is due.

Our main home is in Bulgaria, were taxes are 10% (personal and corporate). Lots of flights from UK now.
Old Mar 31st 2016, 11:40 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rural Bulgaria
Having lived and worked in France and run a French business there would not advice it for tax. It is very expensive. Lot of upfront fees. We now have a house in Austria (for sale) and have many Dutch friends that have moved here as much cheaper than Holland apparently and they run guest houses, building businesses etc. We don't actually work in Austria. It does have quite a generous allowance before tax is due.

Our main home is in Bulgaria, were taxes are 10% (personal and corporate). Lots of flights from UK now.
Thanks for the suggestions. I used to live with a Bulgarian girl and she was always telling me how beautiful it is there.
Although i hear it is very corrupt, lots of organised crime. I dont generally mind that provided it doesn't effect my life too much. But if there are threats from councils/planning offices.. "pay us this or we build a road through your back garden" i wouldnt be too pleased. Maybe ive been watching too many Russian mafia documentaries tho!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.