Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Leaving the sinking UK..........

Leaving the sinking UK..........

Old Aug 26th 2004, 7:15 pm
mr cid

cidshock is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Leaving the sinking UK..........

Hope youre bussiness does very well Sunseeker, We have narrowed it down to Almeria. After looking around and hearing of nightmare stories from Torrijeva and a few others, I was supprised the crime was so bad there.
I have a friend who recently moved to the Algarve just to left of the Spnish border, he's never looked back either.

Incidently what kind of bussiness have you started up over there.

Sarah
Old Sep 8th 2004, 3:41 pm
Just Joined

Cindy08 has a brilliant futureCindy08 has a brilliant futureCindy08 has a brilliant futureCindy08 has a brilliant futureCindy08 has a brilliant futureCindy08 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by SunSeaker
Go for it! My wife and I left just sold up in the UK and moved to the Algarve in Portugal 18 months ago. We started a small business and have never looked back.

The UK is now a long distant memory.
We are selling up early next year to move to Portugal your messages have made us more dtermined now, as my husband is 60 next year and the government, Equitable life and his company have really stiched him up on his pension that we can't even afford to stay here after he retires , which really stinks considering we have both worked full time most of our working lives,so we made the decision at the beginning of this year Algarve is where we want to be now.
I will be viewing properites while i am over there week after next, I think possibly with your company.
Old Sep 16th 2004, 1:26 am
BE Forum Addict

ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Leaving the sinking UK..........

Hello fellow Brummies,
Don't write Australia off yet - currently anyone looking to emmigrate to Adelaide is looked upon very favourably. However, I'd love to go back to the UK - yes, even the Midlands! It's gorgeous here in Oz - great weather, houses etc, etc, but it's not all roses and sometimes very difficult to develop strong friendships with Aussies (just read some of the posts of those moving back to the UK). Spain sounds pretty good though. We know some people over there who are very happy - particularly as it's so easy to get back to the UK from there; not like being stuck on the other side of the world in Aus or NZ. I do know they were having some trouble getting adequate pensions though and that purchasing property can be a bit dicey so I guess you're getting good advice about using agencies who have local knowledge - mind cost a bit, but could save a lot!

Originally Posted by stekas
Hi, we are a couple M47, F42. We are seriously looking to get out of the UK before it sinks completely under a sea of scroungers and layabouts. We really wanted to go to Australia, New Zealand or the States but these destinations seem almost impossible unless you are a millionare or brain surgeon or ideally both.
We are now looking to relocate probably to Spain or possibly France.
Anybody got any good tips, ideas on Employment Searches, Property Purchasing...etc etc.
Anybody got any stories about Migration Agencies?? good or bad.
Any help appreciated....

Thanks

Steve & Kas
Old Sep 16th 2004, 1:58 am

Covenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ezzie
Hello fellow Brummies,
Don't write Australia off yet - currently anyone looking to emmigrate to Adelaide is looked upon very favourably. However, I'd love to go back to the UK - yes, even the Midlands! It's gorgeous here in Oz - great weather, houses etc, etc, but it's not all roses and sometimes very difficult to develop strong friendships with Aussies (just read some of the posts of those moving back to the UK). Spain sounds pretty good though. We know some people over there who are very happy - particularly as it's so easy to get back to the UK from there; not like being stuck on the other side of the world in Aus or NZ. I do know they were having some trouble getting adequate pensions though and that purchasing property can be a bit dicey so I guess you're getting good advice about using agencies who have local knowledge - mind cost a bit, but could save a lot!
Compared to runny Midlands, Adelaide has to be beautiful!
Old Sep 16th 2004, 11:51 am
BE Forum Addict

ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, but now we have the glittering silver slug (Selfridges) - what other city has that? Mind you, what other city would want it? I did see a duck survive a swim in Gas Street Basin a few weeks back though so that's got to count for something surely!

Originally Posted by Covenant
Compared to runny Midlands, Adelaide has to be beautiful!
Old Sep 17th 2004, 2:44 pm
Just Joined

Spaniard is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cidshock
I totally agree with the remarks you made, this once "great contry" of ours is sinking, and sinking fast, the goverment are more concerned with a softly softly approach to illegal imigrants, crime, etc along with many other things, than looking after their own people. I could list forever the reasons i want to move to spain.

here we come, glorious weather and a better way of life.

Sarah
Sorry to tell you that Spain is going in the same way. 15-20% of the total population of Madrid and Barcelona are immigrants (moroccoans, ecuatorians, bolivians, romanians). Spain have received like 4 millions non-EU immigrants in just 4 or 5 years. Delincuency rates have increased brutally. I remember that last year 89% of the people that went to prison in all Spain were immigrants. There have been many murders, rapes, and robberies.
Spain is going to be the same sh** like many other countries in Europe are experiencing (UK, France, Germany, Sweden, ....).

There is no hope for european people with this massive immigration from people that don´t fit in our cultures.

I can speak a lot about this issue. There are everyday lots of news involving immigrants in assaults, robberies, rapes, murders. This morning a columbian man has hit with a baseball stick an old Spanish woman in her house to steal her in Valencia. Last week a Nigerian raped a 15 yr old Spanish girl in Mallorca. Last week 3 moroccoans almost killed a French woman in Gerona after putting fire in the car of the woman for no reason.

I can write hundreds of news like this.

It is quite sad.

Why do We have to put up with this stupid situation?. Sweden and Denmark have also a lot of problems with muslims with gang-rapes and murders. Italy the same. And many other European countries.

Last edited by Spaniard; Sep 17th 2004 at 2:48 pm.
Old Sep 18th 2004, 9:36 am
Just Joined

alifrank1 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Spaniard
Sorry to tell you that Spain is going in the same way. 15-20% of the total population of Madrid and Barcelona are immigrants (moroccoans, ecuatorians, bolivians, romanians). Spain have received like 4 millions non-EU immigrants in just 4 or 5 years.
There is no hope for european people with this massive immigration from people that don´t fit in our cultures.

Why do We have to put up with this stupid situation?. Sweden and Denmark have also a lot of problems with muslims with gang-rapes and murders. Italy the same. And many other European countries.
Spaniard, I quite agree with you. I have homes in both UK and Spain and love both countries for what they are. Spain has many, many problems and living there can be quite difficult. I woud say there is far more corruption in Spain than the UK. Getting anything done can be a nightmare. The ex-pats that come over to escape a bad life in UK end up in a worse position than they were in in the UK, as most of them try to get work on the coasts, in the black economy and cannot earn a living .... I can go on!

Spain is a wonderful country if you have money or a good business (not bars etc). As for the UK, if you own your own home, have a decent job etc, it is also a great country (even with some of the problems we have). The weather? awful a lot of the time, but that's no reason to move to Spain, thinking all your problems will be over.

I for one would never give up a home in the UK.
Old Sep 18th 2004, 9:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Not just Europe I'm afraid guys. I know it's not politically correct to say this but before the Muslims arrived en masse here in Sydney, any form of crime (not involving dingoes) was pretty tame. Now we have gang wars, theft has skyrocketed, shootings and gang rapes where white girls are specifically targeted. So very frustrated. I know PC laws were instituted for the protection of many, but on a whole I wonder if the whole lot shouldn't be revoked so we can start again...this time with a modicum of clarity and realism!

Originally Posted by alifrank1
Spaniard, I quite agree with you. I have homes in both UK and Spain and love both countries for what they are. Spain has many, many problems and living there can be quite difficult. I woud say there is far more corruption in Spain than the UK. Getting anything done can be a nightmare. The ex-pats that come over to escape a bad life in UK end up in a worse position than they were in in the UK, as most of them try to get work on the coasts, in the black economy and cannot earn a living .... I can go on!

Spain is a wonderful country if you have money or a good business (not bars etc). As for the UK, if you own your own home, have a decent job etc, it is also a great country (even with some of the problems we have). The weather? awful a lot of the time, but that's no reason to move to Spain, thinking all your problems will be over.

I for one would never give up a home in the UK.
Old Oct 29th 2004, 10:52 am
Just Joined

SunSeaker is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cidshock
Hope youre bussiness does very well Sunseeker, We have narrowed it down to Almeria. After looking around and hearing of nightmare stories from Torrijeva and a few others, I was supprised the crime was so bad there.
I have a friend who recently moved to the Algarve just to left of the Spnish border, he's never looked back either.

Incidently what kind of bussiness have you started up over there.

Sarah
Thanks for the good wishes. Unfortunately crime is spreading everywhere especially in the summer months when gangs tend to hit.

We started a property search company, finding properties for people wanting to purchase a property in the Algarve and Cyprus. It makes it a lot easier for our clients to liaise with a single contact (us) and help suggest suitable properties and arrange their viewings.

Good luck with your search.
Old Oct 29th 2004, 8:40 pm
Scuffer

Scuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

We have lived in Cyprus, Malaysia, Germany, California and Florida.
Apart from the cost of living we have found much the same problems in the other places we lived.
Amongst my immediate contacts here in Blighty we have a South African who swears he will never return to subject his family to what he saw happening there. A Danish couple who reckon they were paying far more in taxes for far less in Denmark. A Swede who says he will go home for holidays and then cant wait to get back here. A Hungarian who just laughs when asked if he would ever go back there. Several Irish cits who every paddies day get dewy eyed but for the rest of the year are closet Brits. A swiss lady who swears to me that crime was worse in Zurich (Find that one hard to get my head round - but she says she prefers life here)
I sometimes get fed up with all the same things you listed in your tirade but then I listen to these good folks and my sister-in-law (American) who would movehere in a heart beat if she could. My wife has lived here for thirteen years now and she would not consider moving back to the states.
Personally I've just had it with the winter weather and would like to over winter soemwhere drier and warmer and where my meagre savings might enable me to eat.
Old Oct 30th 2004, 1:20 am
Just Joined

alifrank1 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Scuffer
We have lived in Cyprus, Malaysia, Germany, California and Florida.
Apart from the cost of living we have found much the same problems in the other places we lived.
Personally I've just had it with the winter weather and would like to over winter soemwhere drier and warmer and where my meagre savings might enable me to eat.
I agree with you Scuffer. The UK still beats a lot of other countries. As soon as October comes, I get the blues and want to move to Spain permanently, but come the Spring and I'm glad I have a home here. It is a beautiful country even with all it's problems. I have yet to find a person who is truly happy with their country of origin. Problems? ... They are everywhere. My philosophy has always been that if you can't make a decent life for yourself in your own country, it's unlikely you will make it in foreign climes.
Old Oct 30th 2004, 8:29 pm
Jono

jono6395 will become famous soon enoughjono6395 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Cindy08
We are selling up early next year to move to Portugal your messages have made us more dtermined now, as my husband is 60 next year and the government, Equitable life and his company have really stiched him up on his pension that we can't even afford to stay here after he retires , which really stinks considering we have both worked full time most of our working lives,so we made the decision at the beginning of this year Algarve is where we want to be now.
I will be viewing properites while i am over there week after next, I think possibly with your company.
Cindy, if you're looking at the Algarve, think about whats just over the border, and considerably cheaper, yet just as nice. Check out the Ayamonte thread... I'm buying a spacious (186sqm) 3 bed townhouse on Cost Esuri, just over the Port/Spanish border for around £170K including all taxes and costs. A equivalent in a nice spot on the Algarve would be 100,000 more.