Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

if UK leaves EU will the people have right to work?

if UK leaves EU will the people have right to work?

Old May 7th 2014, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

johno5175 has a brilliant futurejohno5175 has a brilliant futurejohno5175 has a brilliant futurejohno5175 has a brilliant futurejohno5175 has a brilliant futurejohno5175 has a brilliant future
Default if UK leaves EU will the people have right to work?

if UK leaves EU will the UK people have right to work in Europe or will that effectively be stopped.

For me personally that would be terrible. I love the freedom of movement and freedom of working wherever i wish in the EU.

What are the possibility's?
Old May 7th 2014, 1:52 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: if UK leaves EU will the people have right to work?

Can you get a job in Switzerland and move there if you want to?
Or Norway?

If the answer to that is yes, then the answer to your question is yes.
Old May 7th 2014, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

Azarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud of

Depends on what each individual country decides to do, but we might end up going back to having to apply for a permit in order to continue working.
Old May 10th 2014, 1:46 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Unless the UK also leaves the EEA then you will still have Freedom of Movement around Europe as an EEA citizen and vice versa. Something that is conveniently forgotten by those advocating for the UK to leave the EU.
Old May 11th 2014, 3:29 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Unless the UK also leaves the EEA then you will still have Freedom of Movement around Europe as an EEA citizen and vice versa. Something that is conveniently forgotten by those advocating for the UK to leave the EU.
And even if the U.K. is not in the EEA, there may be some kind of labour movement agreement similar to the one with Switzerland. It would be negotiable however, and it's not clear how strong the U.K.'s bargaining position would be at that point.

The best way for a British citizen living in another EEA country to protect himself or herself against the possibility of future immigration changes is: 1. Obtain all the necessary local permits to document residence under the EEA rules, including Permanent Resident status (after 5 years residence); and 2. If it's an option, consider becoming a citizen of the country of residence. That's not always feasible, some countries have a long waiting time and/or force renunciation of British citizenship. Or there may be tax or military service consequences, although these should not be a problem for someone with a long term commitment to the country concerned.
Old May 12th 2014, 11:31 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

So far as my little understanding goes, yes.

Originally Posted by JAJ
And even if the U.K. is not in the EEA, there may be some kind of labour movement agreement similar to the one with Switzerland. It would be negotiable however, and it's not clear how strong the U.K.'s bargaining position would be at that point.

The best way for a British citizen living in another EEA country to protect himself or herself against the possibility of future immigration changes is: 1. Obtain all the necessary local permits to document residence under the EEA rules, including Permanent Resident status (after 5 years residence); and 2. If it's an option, consider becoming a citizen of the country of residence. That's not always feasible, some countries have a long waiting time and/or force renunciation of British citizenship. Or there may be tax or military service consequences, although these should not be a problem for someone with a long term commitment to the country concerned.
Ace post as always JAJ
Old May 17th 2014, 7:31 am
Forum Regular

gioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by johno5175
if UK leaves EU will the UK people have right to work in Europe or will that effectively be stopped.

For me personally that would be terrible. I love the freedom of movement and freedom of working wherever i wish in the EU.

What are the possibility's?
Well, who knows?

It's the ambiguity surrounding the practical consequences of leaving the EU that makes parties like UKIP so popular. Somebody would like just to seal the borders, some would like to maintain relationships with some countries but not all, some have no idea at all. Welcome to the future!
Old May 31st 2014, 2:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Check out "European Economic Area" in Wikipedia. The answer to the OP is "Yes". My son has been working in Norway for ten years on the strength of his UK passport. The hard part is getting a job without speaking Norwegian.
Old Jun 3rd 2014, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

gioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
Check out "European Economic Area" in Wikipedia. The answer to the OP is "Yes". My son has been working in Norway for ten years on the strength of his UK passport. The hard part is getting a job without speaking Norwegian.
The beauty of the UKIP is that they leave it to your imagination when it comes to guess what happens next. I think it's a bit premature.
Old Jun 4th 2014, 11:19 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gioppino
The beauty of the UKIP is that they leave it to your imagination when it comes to guess what happens next. I think it's a bit premature.
They leave it to their imagination too, as they don't collectively seem to know what they represent or what their policies are .... other than to swear at anyone that dares to question them
Old Jun 4th 2014, 6:40 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
They leave it to their imagination too, as they don't collectively seem to know what they represent or what their policies are .... other than to swear at anyone that dares to question them
The genius of UKIP is that no-one can criticise their policies because they don't have any beyond leaving the EU. Despite talk of a political earthquake and a new force in British politics they remain a single issue protest party without a single Westminster MP.
Old Jun 5th 2014, 10:47 am
Senior Moment

The genius of UKIP is that no-one can criticise their policies because they don't have any beyond leaving the EU. Despite talk of a political earthquake and a new force in British politics they remain a single issue protest party without a single Westminster MP.
Exactly!
As Ive said many times, they can put absolutely anything they want in their manifesto to please the public and try to get themselves elected, because they know they dont have to justify or put them into operation
Old Jun 5th 2014, 3:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Exactly! As Ive said many times, they can put absolutely anything they want in their manifesto to please the public and try to get themselves elected, because they know they dont have to justify or put them into operation
Well, I guess... But pretty much ALL politicians will say and do anything to get elected. I don't think the UKIP is the only party with people like that! (Can you tell that I am no respecter of politicians in general? I hope so.)
Old Jun 6th 2014, 11:15 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
Well, I guess... But pretty much ALL politicians will say and do anything to get elected. I don't think the UKIP is the only party with people like that! (Can you tell that I am no respecter of politicians in general? I hope so.)
The difference being that if Labour or Conservative say that the day we are elected we will take the UK out of Europe, then one of them will almost certainly be the next Government in, and will have to justify it. UKIP can say that with gay abandon, or even say they will reduce income tax to 10% with the almost certain knowledge that they wont be in government and wont have to do it