Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

How to legally settle in Europe?

How to legally settle in Europe?

Old Jan 8th 2014, 10:43 am
Just Joined

maxima120 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How to legally settle in Europe?

hey all

whats the course of actions to establish legalities in a European country (Czech rep)?

Tax, medical services, banks accounts?

Me and my wife are both UK residents/citizens and we have EHICs.

We are going to move for a year at first then come back to the UK for a while.

I want to start with opening bank account and getting registration with local tax office. And also I need to know how exactly I can use local GPs and hospitals from day one.

My understanding that EHIC covers treatments for UK residents. But I want to become Czech resident as soon as possible and not waiting 6 month.

My wife wants to give birth there so we probably will be moving a month before the event. So I dont want to complicate this by drawning in paperwork instead of concentration on the main thing..
Old Jan 8th 2014, 10:58 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to legally settle in Europe?

Originally Posted by maxima120
hey all

whats the course of actions to establish legalities in a European country (Czech rep)?

Tax, medical services, banks accounts?

Me and my wife are both UK residents/citizens and we have EHICs.

We are going to move for a year at first then come back to the UK for a while.

I want to start with opening bank account and getting registration with local tax office. And also I need to know how exactly I can use local GPs and hospitals from day one.

My understanding that EHIC covers treatments for UK residents. But I want to become Czech resident as soon as possible and not waiting 6 month.

My wife wants to give birth there so we probably will be moving a month before the event. So I dont want to complicate this by drawning in paperwork instead of concentration on the main thing..
I cant help with many of the questions as they are country specific to the Czech republic, however I can tell you in general that if you register in another country as you describe then you will cease to be a UK resident. For that reason you will no longer be entitled to NHS benefits, and your EHIC card will be invalid ... they are for holiday emergency use only.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 9:18 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=maxima120;11068583

My wife wants to give birth there so we probably will be moving a month before the event. So I dont want to complicate this by drawning in paperwork instead of concentration on the main thing..[/QUOTE]

Is there a particular reason why your wife wants to give birth there, and is it reasonable to move when she's 8 months' pregnant? Do either of you speak Czech? Useful, in order to understand what the staff are saying at crucial moments.... and for filling in the inevitable forms. There's no way of avoiding paperwork....
If the "main thing" is a stress-free birth, then it would be advisable for your child to come into the world in the UK and you postpone your move....
Old Jan 8th 2014, 9:48 pm
Just Joined

Erm... Right.. The question was what are the components/structure of the process of settling in EU in general and CR in particular..

I am going to ignore the slur above. If you dont know or dont want to answer my question then just move on pls.

If we were friends and if i asked you life advice then you couldve said what u said otherwise i am fine thanks
Old Jan 9th 2014, 12:04 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I think you need to understand what is being said though.

If you move to the Czech republic it doesn't mean that you will automatically qualify for health care there. Your EHIC cards, they are for use when you are a UK resident, and on holiday abroad ... not for use for general health care when you are living there. My experience of European Hospitals is that they do not necessarily speak English, so thats an issue as well unless one of you can speak the language competently

No one is making a slur, we're just telling you what the likelyhood is, and what the regulations general are. Even in Western European countries like Spain now they are clamping down on what they see as health tourism. People have been charged for medical treatment even when on holiday!
Old Jan 9th 2014, 12:10 am
Just Joined

oh no Mitzy your answer was correct. I found a bit more info already but was nothing wrong with yours... I am sorry I didn't say thank you.. the other guy just threw me off! I didn't ask for life advice.. surely we know what we are doing with my wife.. having baby and all.. least I need some stranger just barge in and tell me that I am a moron and I have no idea what I am doing...

sorry I don't want to push down these lines any more. I am too busy planning mistakes in my life

but thank you Mitzy for trying to help!
Old Jan 9th 2014, 6:57 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by maxima120
oh no Mitzy your answer was correct. I found a bit more info already but was nothing wrong with yours... I am sorry I didn't say thank you.. the other guy just threw me off! I didn't ask for life advice.. surely we know what we are doing with my wife.. having baby and all.. least I need some stranger just barge in and tell me that I am a moron and I have no idea what I am doing...

sorry I don't want to push down these lines any more. I am too busy planning mistakes in my life

but thank you Mitzy for trying to help!
"The other guy" is in fact female, who has experienced child birth in France. I was just thinking of the future mother's welfare and making you aware of the problems....
I wish her a happy pregnancy and safe birth, wherever...
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 8:51 am
Forum Regular

Cihadlo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

My post at the end of this thread answers several of your questions:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=779615

It's targeted at the OP of that thread who wanted to live in a rural Czech location, which may or maybe not what you want.

If you stay for more than 90 days, you should apply for a residence card. This is a formalility for EU nationals. As a EU national you don't actually have to apply for it at all but the alternative is going to the local police once a month to register where you live.

The posters earlier in your thread are basically correct about the EHIC and requiring insurance if you are resident rather than visiting. You either work for a Czech employer who will have to enroll you in the state scheme or you have to buy private insurance, which can be problematical.

Since my previous post, I have undergone surgery as an in-patient in a Czech hospital. The standard of care was excellent and the surgeon spoke English. Fortunately, I do speak fairly basic Czech because all the other nurses, doctors and patients didn't speak any English at all. I got an excellent practice session for my Czech!

I can't emphsise to much how important it is to learn Czech. You cannot rely on being able to access services in English. Compared with something like French or Spanish, Czech is desperately difficult to learn. I have been studying for three years and wouldn't consider it adequate for general use.

.....but it's a great place to live!