Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help - France or Spain

Help - France or Spain

Old Jul 25th 2014, 12:45 pm
Planning Retirement

SallyD54 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help - France or Spain

Hi there, new to the forum and Hubby Alan and I are feeling that the time is right to start planning our retirement, but where that is the question. We both love France and Spain, and will be moving with our dog and cats, but the thing is which area to look at. I love the sun but Hubby hates it too hot, but we want the seasons too. Ideally near some sort of water, lake etc is fine, and maybe not too cold in the winter, I have had one knee replacement due to arthritis and the other is playing up big time now.
Suggestions would be appreciated as we honestly dont know where to start looking and I thought perhaps any of you similar to us might be able to aim us at certain areas to investigate - many thanks - Sally
Old Jul 25th 2014, 2:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help - France or Spain

Originally Posted by SallyD54
Hi there, new to the forum and Hubby Alan and I are feeling that the time is right to start planning our retirement, but where that is the question. We both love France and Spain, and will be moving with our dog and cats, but the thing is which area to look at. I love the sun but Hubby hates it too hot, but we want the seasons too. Ideally near some sort of water, lake etc is fine, and maybe not too cold in the winter, I have had one knee replacement due to arthritis and the other is playing up big time now.
Suggestions would be appreciated as we honestly dont know where to start looking and I thought perhaps any of you similar to us might be able to aim us at certain areas to investigate - many thanks - Sally
Definitely Spain:-). I had a thread going here before, because most Brits on this forum only consider the South of Spain. I would consider Costa Brava, as you're close to France, doesn't get too hot or too cold and it's greener. Property is cheaper than you think in the right areas.
Old Jul 26th 2014, 10:16 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, you may do well to post on both the Spain and France forums (indicating that you can't decide), as not every one looks in the general Europe section.
If you are early retirees, you should look into the question of healthcare coverage, as the S1 isn't applicable any more.
I live in the Languedoc and can tell you that summers are usually blisteringly hot, winters can have snow and/or perishing cold spells, much rain in the winter/spring/autumn. Not to mention the Tramontane wind.... It's a land of extremes, but you get used to it.
But wherever you decide, you must budget your healthcare coverage first (private insurance until you reach retirement age or if you don't work legally).
Hope this helps!
Old Jul 29th 2014, 11:44 am
Planning Retirement

SallyD54 is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks to you both, so I will copy my message to the French and Spanish posts. We have realised we will need to budget for health care, I did get a form from a French company for a quote they wouldnt just give me a rough estimate, hubby is diabetic and I suffer with High Blood pressure, and of course had a knee replacement recently so I am guessing will be quite a bit