Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

A foreign country on our doorstep!

A foreign country on our doorstep!

Old Dec 6th 2004, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

BlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default A foreign country on our doorstep!

I've had to spend some time checking out Ireland as my husband is considering an employment offer over there (yes, still trying to get to the US, for any that are remembering me and wondering)......it's been a bit of an eye opening.

EVERYTHING is different, their tax, laws, rental agreements......and I thought Ireland was just a part of Britain....okay, so I've seen the adverts that state "UK and Northern Ireland" and "excluding Eire" but I never realised it's NOT a part of Britain.....I guess I should have paid more attention in school....or in current/political affairs!

I've had a real dig around, I know the education, rental, tax systems are different, I know I'll get Child benefit (and more than you get in the UK), I don't need social security as we're a working family but even that's different. Tax is more but cost of living is less, although we're planning Dublin which is more expensive to live in I understand. Still trying to work out the best way to secure a rented home, go there or do it all from here but other than that, it's as different as moving to say the states, or Australia...except I don't need a visa *L*

All this though, on our own doorstep!! I'm tempted...very tempted. Has anyone else made the move from the UK to Ireland? I'd love to hear the good....and bad.

BSG