Reload this Page >

Family wanting to move abroad

Family wanting to move abroad

Old Feb 26th 2017, 12:43 pm
Just Joined

Beth123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Family wanting to move abroad

Hi there,

We are a family looking to move to Europe for at least a couple of years for a better climate, change of scene and new experiences. We will probably rent and are currently looking at France, Switzerland, Austria, Norway and Sweden (although open to other countries and islands). We are in our late 30s with a toddler and a baby on the way and are both self-employed so, in theory, we can continue with our work wherever we go. We just don't know where to go. Our ideal place would be near water; either the sea or a lake, and we are both quite outdoorsy (snowboarding, hiking, camping, etc) but I think our main worry is finding a social life and a bit of a community which is very important to us. It doesn't have to be an expat community but perhaps young outdoorsy or arty families. Living in the country on our own and working from home doesn't really appeal to us at this stage but we also want to get out of the city now. The French Alps does appeal but we hear the cost of living is very high, as is Switzerland and Norway. We're planning a little holiday in the summer to do some research but obviously it'll just be a holiday as we don't really have the funds to do in-depth exploring to find our perfect place. I just thought I'd ask if anyone has any suggestions on places to go that might fit our preferences. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by Beth123; Feb 26th 2017 at 12:46 pm.
Old Feb 26th 2017, 1:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Family wanting to move abroad

You don't say from where you want to move to Europe? Have you checked out immigration requirements like PoF, medical insurance requirements, and what your visa options are? No matter which country you choose from the list you gave, none is a budget destination. Unless you have an EU/EEA p.port, there is no free movement. Not you can choose, the country chooses you.
Old Feb 26th 2017, 1:50 pm
Just Joined

We'd be moving from Bristol in the UK. We aren't necessarily looking for a budget option, just somewhere that's not super expensive and elite. It's not cheap to live in Bristol so we're hoping for somewhere that is at least on a par with the south of England. We both hold British passports so we do currently have freedom of movement in the EU, at least until Brexit, after which, who knows. However I will soon be getting a Maltese passport so I will hold another EU passport. I do know we are able to live in Norway despite it not being in the EU but I don't know much about Switzerland. However, I have done research on healthcare and paying tax in the other countries I mentioned and they are all within our means which is why we are looking at those countries specifically.

Last edited by Beth123; Feb 26th 2017 at 1:55 pm.
Old Feb 26th 2017, 1:57 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beth123
Hi there,

We are a family looking to move to Europe for at least a couple of years for a better climate, change of scene and new experiences. We will probably rent and are currently looking at France, Switzerland, Austria, Norway and Sweden (although open to other countries and islands). We are in our late 30s with a toddler and a baby on the way and are both self-employed so, in theory, we can continue with our work wherever we go. We just don't know where to go. Our ideal place would be near water; either the sea or a lake, and we are both quite outdoorsy (snowboarding, hiking, camping, etc) but I think our main worry is finding a social life and a bit of a community which is very important to us. It doesn't have to be an expat community but perhaps young outdoorsy or arty families. Living in the country on our own and working from home doesn't really appeal to us at this stage but we also want to get out of the city now. The French Alps does appeal but we hear the cost of living is very high, as is Switzerland and Norway. We're planning a little holiday in the summer to do some research but obviously it'll just be a holiday as we don't really have the funds to do in-depth exploring to find our perfect place. I just thought I'd ask if anyone has any suggestions on places to go that might fit our preferences. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Hi, and welcome to the forum!
You'd be advised to strike France off your list, unless your French is adequate to cope with Bureaucracy when setting up one or more business structures (depending on what your respective lines of work are). In order to rent, you would have to prove to a potential landlord that your income is 3-4 times the rent, failing which you'd need a Guarantor. And you'd have to get their written permission to use the address for business purposes.... Just a few of the drawbacks of being self-employed and renting in France!
Post again in the Scandinavia section above, where you'll get good advice.
Good luck in your quest!
Old Feb 26th 2017, 2:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dmu
Hi, and welcome to the forum!
You'd be advised to strike France off your list, unless your French is adequate to cope with Bureaucracy when setting up one or more business structures (depending on what your respective lines of work are). In order to rent, you would have to prove to a potential landlord that your income is 3-4 times the rent, failing which you'd need a Guarantor. And you'd have to get their written permission to use the address for business purposes.... Just a few of the drawbacks of being self-employed and renting in France!
Post again in the Scandinavia section above, where you'll get good advice.
Good luck in your quest!
Thanks for this. That does sound complicated. We speak some French but are by no means fluent so I will also post in the Scandinavian section, as you suggested. Thanks again for your help.

Last edited by Beth123; Feb 26th 2017 at 2:17 pm.
Old Feb 27th 2017, 10:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

Switzerland will not be easy to settle despite your British p.port. Like a Swiss once said to me "we are friendly while you don't want to come to live here. Accommodation will be your biggest issue. Austrian cost of living is no cheaper than where you are. Rents are high esp. in cities. Affordable housing is in short supply. The migrant issue in continental Europe has added to this shortage. Check out rental prices in Salzburger Nachrichten on a Sat. You get it free online. Look at German/Austrian border area (German side) which is cheaper. Do you speak German? This would help in Switzerland and in Austria.
Old Mar 4th 2017, 6:51 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Have you considered Portugal? It's got a huge amount going for it, in my opinion, as long as you're not dependent on finding paid employment here - self employed could work, depending on what it is you do and whether it could be done remotely.

Last edited by Red Eric; Mar 4th 2017 at 6:55 am.
Old Mar 4th 2017, 9:03 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Red Eric
Have you considered Portugal? It's got a huge amount going for it, in my opinion, as long as you're not dependent on finding paid employment here - self employed could work, depending on what it is you do and whether it could be done remotely.
Actually I don't know much about Portugal but I think I ruled it out on account of it potentially being too hot, (my partner struggles in hot weather). I have heard some good things about it though so will look into it. Thanks Eric.
Old Mar 4th 2017, 2:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beth123
Actually I don't know much about Portugal but I think I ruled it out on account of it potentially being too hot, (my partner struggles in hot weather). I have heard some good things about it though so will look into it. Thanks Eric.
The language is extremely difficult.
Old Mar 4th 2017, 6:07 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

No more so than learning any other of the romance languages and a darned sight easier than some other European languages, never mind the rest.
Old Mar 5th 2017, 12:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pica
The language is extremely difficult.
Not so difficult if you speak French. Grammar is similar.
Old Mar 5th 2017, 10:19 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thairetired2016
Not so difficult if you speak French. Grammar is similar.
Sorry, but I speak French fluently and find written Portuguese difficult, even with some similarities in grammar, but the worst is the spoken word....
Old Mar 5th 2017, 1:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dmu
Sorry, but I speak French fluently and find written Portuguese difficult, even with some similarities in grammar, but the worst is the spoken word....
When I learnt Portuguese (45 years ago) my teacher kept on pointing out links to French. Made it easy. Spoken word is easy for me no matter which language.

Last edited by Thairetired2016; Mar 5th 2017 at 2:00 pm.
Old Mar 6th 2017, 9:06 am
Just Joined

carriemc is an unknown quantity at this point

Bulgaria might be worth a look. I know you don't like it too hot but with air con & a pool it generally isn't too much of a problem. Somewhere on the Black Sea Coast or in one of the ski resorts, Bansko biggest, might suit.
Old Mar 12th 2017, 9:13 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by carriemc
Bulgaria might be worth a look. I know you don't like it too hot but with air con & a pool it generally isn't too much of a problem. Somewhere on the Black Sea Coast or in one of the ski resorts, Bansko biggest, might suit.
Ooh no, we hadn't considered Bulgaria but I will look into it. Thanks for the tip.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.