Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Everything Prague

Everything Prague

Old Jun 11th 2016, 11:38 pm
Just Joined

canadaelk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Everything Prague

Thought we could do with a fresh Prague-centric thread. Please post and questions/suggestions/experiences you have regarding Prague.

I'm relocating there in Sept. and have just come back from a brief visit. Overall I'm very impressed with the city. My biggest concerns so far are:
-the tourist (millions of 'em, everywhere!)
-the general 'unfriendliness' of the locals (no concept of customer service etc)
-the drug dealers and prostitutes (too much customer service)
-hot summers with no A/C. I have experienced the metro odours. it was not pleasant

Relatively minor things really, compared to the issues in most other cities.

Would be curious to know if anyone can recommend some good british or irish pubs? I made it to JJ Murphy's a few times. Other than that I didn't see any that seemed too promising.

What neighbourhoods would anyone recommend (especially for expats)? The best for all-round value (price + transport links + shops etc).
Old Jun 12th 2016, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

Cihadlo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Everything Prague

Hi Winston

Have you discovered expats.cz ? Very Prague-centric site, to the extent that it's not much use to those of us who live in the Czech Republic but outside Prague. Lots of articles and people on there who can answer your questions.

I can accept point one in your list but the other three have never bothered me during the time I have spent in Prague. Temperatures over 30 are quite rare but it can be mighty cold in winter there, although the last three have been quite mild.

Chris
Old Jun 24th 2016, 1:54 pm
Just Joined

Chris

Yep, have found expats.cz to be very useful over the past few months.

I should say the points on my list are primarily good natured. Unfriendly, is perhaps unfair, in reality they are probably more 'direct' than anything else.

Of course the big question going forward is how the EU referendum impacts us all.
Old Jun 27th 2016, 8:07 am
Forum Regular

Cihadlo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by winston1618
Chris

Of course the big question going forward is how the EU referendum impacts us all.
You are a UK national?

Of course, it's a big question but we'll also be affected by our individual personal circumstances as well. You haven't begun to establish any residency here yet and are unlikely to have sufficient time to attain "Permanent Residency" status before Britain exits the EU. If the UK is still in the EEA, then this probably won't matter but who knows what will happen!?

Chris
Old Jun 30th 2016, 9:57 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Cihadlo
You are a UK national?

Of course, it's a big question but we'll also be affected by our individual personal circumstances as well. You haven't begun to establish any residency here yet and are unlikely to have sufficient time to attain "Permanent Residency" status before Britain exits the EU. If the UK is still in the EEA, then this probably won't matter but who knows what will happen!?

Chris
Yes, dual-citizen UK-US.

Not too fussed either way. I'll roll with whatever happens. Worst case scenario I should be able to to enjoy the experience for a year or two.
Old Sep 11th 2016, 8:55 pm
Just Joined

Hedvika is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello, just browsing here...I was living in Prague, actually I am from there... tourist are just in the center of city and not millions, they are just couple of them, not big deal.
Prostitutes yes maybe some of them, they are organised these days,just ignore it. Customer services, well we may not smile to everyone ...here in UK is everyone playing to be professional, but there is still chaos when you need things to be done..phone companies etc..all in India.
In Czech you know with who you are talking to,we don't have so many people in country, so don't need to invest in ''customer services''..and we may be friendly sometimes, but scare to talk English..this may be the reason...And the tube..you have just 3 short lines, London has plenty and hours long
Old Sep 13th 2016, 7:49 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Hedvika
Hello, just browsing here...I was living in Prague, actually I am from there... tourist are just in the center of city and not millions, they are just couple of them, not big deal.
Prostitutes yes maybe some of them, they are organised these days,just ignore it. Customer services, well we may not smile to everyone ...here in UK is everyone playing to be professional, but there is still chaos when you need things to be done..phone companies etc..all in India.
In Czech you know with who you are talking to,we don't have so many people in country, so don't need to invest in ''customer services''..and we may be friendly sometimes, but scare to talk English..this may be the reason...And the tube..you have just 3 short lines, London has plenty and hours long
Hello Hedvika,

Thanks for your input. Hope my original post doesn't come across as rude, I meant it all in good humour. Prague really is a lovely place with lovely people.

I've been talking with some friends over there and they've been giving me advice on where to live or not live. Staying out of the tourist spots is really the important thing.

Don't know how the transport compares to London - haven't been there for years.
Old Sep 13th 2016, 8:49 pm
Just Joined

NO worries, I can't say where to live as been there just a while...but can compare tube with London...London 1000 people all around pushing you in and out..in Prague it's easy peasy ..u may get a seat
Old Sep 16th 2016, 9:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Learn Czech. Avoid tourist areas. Watch out for that beer ! Learn to love the Czech establsihments. Do you REALLY need an English pub ? In Bohemia ?

Last edited by scot47; Sep 16th 2016 at 9:04 am.
Old Sep 16th 2016, 9:11 am
Just Joined

Czech is difficult, but we do not speak English so much, and people will understand , do not worry start from beer and just carry on
Old Sep 16th 2016, 3:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by scot47
Learn Czech. Avoid tourist areas. Watch out for that beer ! Learn to love the Czech establsihments. Do you REALLY need an English pub ? In Bohemia ?
I do agree that learning czech, or a healthy amount of it, is important at the very least to be respectful to the locals.

I get what you're saying about czech establishments - but it is nice to have a place that feels effortless and homely from time to time. ...so long as it's not over-run with stag dos!
Old Sep 16th 2016, 3:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Stag-dos from Ghastly Brit twenty-somethings is what would worry me.
Old Sep 16th 2016, 3:27 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by scot47
Stag-dos from Ghastly Brit twenty-somethings is what would worry me.
Yeah, if I can't find anything suitable I may have to open my own english pub in some quiet corner of prague. Then ban all brits except OAPs.
Old Sep 18th 2016, 11:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I had a friend who worked for years in Brno. Never spotted any Brits when I went to visit him on several occasions, but then your average Brit Stag-goer would be stumped if you asked about the Geography of Central Europe.
Old Dec 29th 2016, 7:18 pm
Just Joined

Update: I've completely changed my assessment of czech beer. It's some of the best in the world, and more than makes up for the absence of guinness.