Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

EU family reunification?

EU family reunification?

Old May 14th 2016, 12:33 pm
Just Joined

Tc88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question EU family reunification?

This may be a little long, And I wasn't sure where to ask these questions, so if I'm in the wrong place, I apologize!

My fiancée and I are currently living in the U.S. He is a citizen of the U.K. and have been looking to move. We have been together going on 6 years and We have a daughter. I have a minor non violent, non drug related offense that would not grant me entry into England normally as it is not spent. He was reading up on the free movement EU treaty rights and was wondering if this could apply to us? I've read a little on it but would like someone with more experience chiming in on this. Thank you!
Old May 20th 2016, 7:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EU family reunification?

The free movement of people in the EU would not apply in your case with regard you and family moving to the UK because your fiance is a British citizen and therefore UK immigration laws would apply to you if you wanted to move with him to the UK.

If you initially moved to another EU country, lived and worked there for say 12 months and then applied for an EEA Family permit for the UK for yourself (the US citizen) you might be able to obtain the permit.

However, you still have to be of 'good character' so cannot guarantee that you would obtain it.
Old May 25th 2016, 9:38 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EU family reunification?

Originally Posted by Tc88
This may be a little long, And I wasn't sure where to ask these questions, so if I'm in the wrong place, I apologize!

My fiancée and I are currently living in the U.S. He is a citizen of the U.K. and have been looking to move. We have been together going on 6 years and We have a daughter. I have a minor non violent, non drug related offense that would not grant me entry into England normally as it is not spent. He was reading up on the free movement EU treaty rights and was wondering if this could apply to us? I've read a little on it but would like someone with more experience chiming in on this. Thank you!
I have attached the guidance document by the UK government.
This is entitled "When CAN I refuse (a visa) on the grounds of criminality".

This does not mean that they will refuse entry and it depends if your definition of "minor" is the same as HMRC.
I would speak with a UK Consul or Embassy and ask their opinion.
https://www.gov.uk/government/public...er-criminality
Please read para#2. It would appear that only prison sentences of greater than 12 months would be a problem unless it occurred within the last 5 years.
Sorry if this does not answer your original question.