Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Driving licence UK -> Canada -> US -> Norway (EU)

Driving licence UK -> Canada -> US -> Norway (EU)

Old Aug 10th 2017, 9:11 am
Just Joined

hannahcarter89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving licence UK -> Canada -> US -> Norway (EU)

Another driving licence question, but this one seems a little more complex...

I moved to Canada about 5 years ago where I exchanged my UK driving licence for a Canadian one. I then moved to the US about 3 years later, where I exchanged my Canadian licence for a US one (The UK has a reciprocal agreement with Canada but not the US. Canada has a separate reciprocal agreement with the US, so I was able to switch the licence to an American one without taking a test).

I have now moved to Norway (but this would apply to any EU country), and would like to gain a Norwegian licence. The only problem is, because I do not strictly hold a valid UK licence, I am not able to switch to a Norwegian one. The Norwegian authorities have said that I should ask the DVLA to issue me with a certificate outlining my driving history in the UK, then they will be able to issue me with a Norwegian licence, however the DVLA are claiming that since I don't have a British licence, they are unable to do so.

Is there any way around this? I really don't want to go down the route of taking the test, because I understand it is very expensive here in Norway, and you need to take a few "refresher" lessons as the test is quite strict - which makes the entire process extremely expensive.

Thanks for any insight!!
Old Aug 13th 2017, 4:16 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving licence UK -> Canada -> US -> Norway (EU)

Well, the dvlc will know that you have exchanged your license for the Canadian one. Why don't you call the dvlc and ask for a license to be sent to you? Are you allowed to drive on a British license in Norway, like you can in the EU?
Old Aug 14th 2017, 4:11 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving licence UK -> Canada -> US -> Norway (EU)

The DVLA should be able to issue you with a certificate of entitlement to drive. Take a look at UK gov web site.