Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Cheapest countries to live?

Cheapest countries to live?

Old Jul 17th 2017, 8:05 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cheapest countries to live?

Originally Posted by Azarel
..... I'm not quite sure of the point you're trying to make.
Likewise. Bucharest doesn't seem like an intuitively obvious place to live if you like to spend time at the beach.

Old Jul 18th 2017, 3:57 am
Forum Regular

Azarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud of

Again, I didn't say at any point that it was. The OP mentioned Budapest, Prague and Krakov in his/her original post, none of which has 'intuitively obviously' beach access, therefore I supposed that reaching the beach in a 'day trip' was not vitally important.

Really not quite sure why you have this obsession about my suggestion. I was just trying to be a helpful denizen of the BE community by throwing up another possibility for the OP to consider. I'm terribly sorry if my suggestion has somehow offended you.
Old Jul 18th 2017, 5:11 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps we could stick to giving factual advice, preferably from people who are living in the areas/countries the OP is looking at. Petty squabbling over personal opinions just irritates people and doesn't help.

Hope you find what you're looking for Dale-Katya.
Old Jul 18th 2017, 5:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Richard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond repute

I actually thought the Bucharest suggestion was a good one for the OP. It's also on my potential retirement list and was hoping to hear more. I also didn't think beach proximity was all that relevant for what the OP was looking for, but maybe an interesting side note (although coast and mountains were mentioned).

Last edited by Richard8655; Jul 18th 2017 at 5:22 am.
Old Jul 18th 2017, 5:35 am
Forum Regular

Azarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud of

@Richard8655

If working isn't an issue (which would be most people's main reason for choosing Bucharest as there are more opportunities) then you might consider some of the provincial cities. Take a look at Brasov, Sibiu or Cluj-Napoca. All big enough to have most of what you need (in terms of shops and facilities) but with a more laid-back atmosphere and beautiful surrounds. Cluj International Airport, for example, has regular flights to various destinations in the UK.
Old Jul 19th 2017, 5:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Richard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Azarel
@Richard8655

If working isn't an issue (which would be most people's main reason for choosing Bucharest as there are more opportunities) then you might consider some of the provincial cities. Take a look at Brasov, Sibiu or Cluj-Napoca. All big enough to have most of what you need (in terms of shops and facilities) but with a more laid-back atmosphere and beautiful surrounds. Cluj International Airport, for example, has regular flights to various destinations in the UK.
Thanks Azarel. Many years ago while visiting Romania (while still under the Ceausescu regime) to see the Transylvanian Alps and skiing opportunities. I found Brasov and Sibiu simply gorgeous. Sighisoara was the larger nearby connecting city and also very nice (the little I saw of it). But you're right, as I only scratched the surface on my short stay, they deserve a much closer look. I imagine wonderful places to retire.

I wonder if that imposing Ceausescu palace in Bucharest is accepted by everyone by now and put to good use (parliament?), or still reviled. The capital seemed typical but didn't have time to take a good look.

Last edited by Richard8655; Jul 19th 2017 at 5:50 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Jul 19th 2017, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

If you travel around Bucharest only briefly, you mostly see the main boulevards, which are mainly lined with those ugly blocks, but behind them, and in some other neighbourhoods, there's a lot of fantastic and diverse architecture. The People's Palace is still there, used by the parliament as you say. Lots of people hate it still although some older folk see it as a symbol of what could be done (albeit under a dictatorship) compared to the slow rate of state development projects today (lack of motorways being the main complaint these days).

Sighisoara is lovely. I have an old house in a nearby village where I spend weekends and holiday. Fabulous. Sibiu and Cluj have taken great leaps in the last decade. Cluj particular has attracted a lot of business (mostly in IT) and is a thriving university town, and has a lot of festivals and events. Sibiu and Brasov have also fared well. You should come back for a visit; I think you'd find it interesting comparing it with the Romania you saw in the 80s. Even in the 13 years I've been here I've seen a lot of changes, most of them positive. Still a way to go in many areas, but also a lot of charming features which haven't yet been lost.
Old Jul 19th 2017, 7:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Excellent advice and information, and exactly what I plan to do. Nice to have first hand experience and perspective from you actually there for 13 years. Yes, I agree and am sure so much has changed since the communist era as I remember it in my visit so long ago (1977 as I recall). I think Romania is often overlooked by many British expats in their usual retirement migration to southern Spain.
Old Jul 26th 2017, 4:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

South of Bucharest there is all of Bulgaria. Destination for quite a few retirees from the UK. Not much work there - unless you are happy to sell your labour for £300 a month, but property in villages and small towns is cheap. Plovdiv and Stara Zagora are worth looking at. So is Burgas.
Old Jul 28th 2017, 5:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

And Bulgaria produces outstanding wines at incredible prices - almost a reason itself to move there! But indeed a beautiful country than many Brits overlook from lack of background information. The language might be a bit intimidating using the Cyrillic alphabet. But to me that might be an interesting challenge.
Old Jul 31st 2017, 4:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

The Cyrillic Alphabet is only a small barrier. Of all the Slavonic languages, Bulhgarian is the easiest to learn. Much of the vocabulary is shared with French, German and English. the grammar has become simplified over the centuries, in the same way as Anglo-saxon has morphed into Modern English.

I lived and worked in Bulgaria for many years until fate brought me back to the Land of Johnie Walker.