Bucharest

Old Feb 22nd 2014, 8:55 am
Just Joined

Yoly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bucharest

Hi,
My husband has been offered the chance to work in Bucharest for 6m.

I am very excited at the possibility of relocating for a 6m period.

I have a couple of concerns I was hoping you could help with:

Firstly we have 2 children aged 2.5 and 5y, my concerns for them would be finding opportunities for them to socialize with other children, particularly my eldest. From reading round I see there are some English speaking nurseries, does anyone know if they offer part time places? A few mornings a week say? Are they expensive?

Secondly, are there any ex pat groups or women's/mothers groups where I could socialize? I will of course try to learn as much of the language as possible but this might happen quite quickly and I cant see me being at conversational level before we go.

Thirdly, I run 2 small business' here in the UK as well as being a stay at home mother. One of which I would need to travel back to the UK for every month or so, with the children as my husband will be at work, are the flights generally cheap enough to do this? My other business I may be able to run in Romania possibly (I am a baby carrying consultant and sling librarian) or I may find someone to run it while I am away, or possibly sell it. I'm not really sure what to do about that one, is sling consultancy something Romanians would want?

I would appreciate your thoughts.
Old Feb 25th 2014, 2:44 am
Forum Regular

Azarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud of
Default Re: Bucharest

Hi Yoly,

Can't help with the parenting stuff but I can tell you there are plenty of flights back to the UK. Prices vary depending on the time of year and even the day of the week, baggage, and so on, but at the moment, a week in the UK in the middle of March costs about £100 return with Blue Air (Otopeni-Luton), £90 with Wizz Air (Luton), £200 with Tarom to Heathrow, or £175 to Heathrow with British Airways.

I don't think sling consultancy is something particularly well known in Romania so I think it'd be hard to build the business here without investing a lot in marketing first to convince people it's something they need. However, it's not something I've looked into so you could do some research to see if it's viable.
Old Feb 25th 2014, 10:02 am
Just Joined

Yoly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bucharest

Thank you Azarel, I think the language barrier will be the biggest problem.