Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Europe

Old Sep 12th 2017, 1:27 pm   #1
Just Joined

Pisicuta is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Brexit....?

How do you all think Brexit is going to affect those of us living outside the UK? Anyone got any plans in place?
Pisicuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th 2017, 5:35 pm   #2
Azarel Male
Forum Regular

Azarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud of
Default Re: Brexit....?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisicuta View Post
Anyone got any plans in place?
The UK government certainly hasn't!

I guess it all boils down to what deal is struck and what dates are considered as 'cut off points'. If you've lived wherever you are for five years or more, you'll probably be fine as you can apply for permanent residency or even citizenship.

For those who've not been in their country for five years (be that five years up until the referendum, or up under the handing in of notice or up until the leaving date...whatever is decided) then I guess it'll be just like in the old days where you have to apply for permits like non-EU citizens have always done, which will probably mean, in most cases, finding a job, getting a work permit, then a residence permit. More or less of a hassle depending on the country in question.

The major lost advantage is that, as an EU citizen, you could live anywhere in the EU just by proving you have sufficient funds. In Romania, that amounted to about 50 quid! So you'd get a five-year certificate of residence just by showing them a bank statement with 50 quid in Lei, some kind of proof of healthcare, and a passport.

Non-EU citizens would have to have a job or be students, or prove they have a business which employs X amount of people, or have invested Y hundred thousand Euros in the country. After Brexit, it'll basically go back to that for UK passport holders.

As I've been here 13 years, I can get permanent residency easily enough, if needs be, or at a push, go for citizenship.
Azarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th 2017, 2:05 pm   #3
Just Joined

Pisicuta is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh well! I guess we will just see what happens! I'm self-employed (I teach English online) so might be a problem for me- but again we don't know what kind of deal is going to be struck so I'm planning just to cross that bridge when the time comes!
Pisicuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th 2017, 2:12 pm   #4
Azarel Male
Forum Regular

Azarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud of

You might be able to find a teaching job here. There are some language schools but they generally don't pay to well and sometimes don't guarantee a sufficient amount of work to earn a decent living. However, if you're earning a living wage from online teaching, you could just take a part time teaching job at a local language school simply for the work and residency permits. If you aren't going to depend on the money or hours from the school (because of your online work) then it wouldn't be a major issue. Plus it's probably preferable for the school too to not have to worry about finding you enough work; so win-win. Anyway, it was just a thought - we'll have to see what happens.
Azarel is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Europe