Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Best place in Europe to retire

Best place in Europe to retire

Old Mar 28th 2012, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

jenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best place in Europe to retire

Originally Posted by Austrobrit
QUOTE:Somewhere with good healthcare, transport links, low crime, nice community of people, sunny, warm - and well just fabulous! QUOTE:

You have just described Carinthia in Southern Austria
I will check it out thank you.
Old Apr 1st 2012, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

Austrobrit is just really niceAustrobrit is just really niceAustrobrit is just really niceAustrobrit is just really niceAustrobrit is just really niceAustrobrit is just really niceAustrobrit is just really niceAustrobrit is just really niceAustrobrit is just really nice

Originally Posted by John & Kath
Can she walk to the beach.
If you mean by the massive lakes we have, then yes

If you mean the sea, then no but that wasn't a criteria in her description, or did I miss it?
Old Apr 7th 2012, 11:10 am
Just Joined

Gessika is an unknown quantity at this point

did you consider malta?
Old Apr 7th 2012, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

jenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gessika
did you consider malta?
Hi there - I've never been to Malta. Is it nice? What are the benefits?
Old Apr 8th 2012, 1:46 am
Just Joined

BritAus is just really niceBritAus is just really niceBritAus is just really niceBritAus is just really niceBritAus is just really niceBritAus is just really niceBritAus is just really niceBritAus is just really niceBritAus is just really niceBritAus is just really niceBritAus is just really nice

Your thinking is very close to mine.
I'm keeping an eye on this thread !

How about all of the extended European locations, like islands European countries own. I don't know what they all are (that are treated as European) but They exist ! Corsica I think. Some of the Dutch Antilles (or whatever they are now called) Mauritus and Guadalupe I think are some. As a European Citizen you can just move there, get a property and start working. I hear !
Old Apr 9th 2012, 7:14 pm
Just Joined

Gessika is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes in my opinion it is very nice. I am Maltese myself and in truth I am looking to go live and work in the UK, but ultimately I want to retire here in Malta. Summers here are hot and humid but beaches and granita make all that bearable. Winters are a different cold than most people are used to because of high humidity but its not unusual to get by here without heating your home. (I wouldn't say the same for summer and cooling your home). On the plus side keeping something cool tends to be cheaper than keeping something warm. Malta is small so everywhere is close to everywhere else, meaning you can choose to live in a quiet area and still be very close to the hustle and bustle of the villages. Its not cheap to live here but its not expensive either if you know where to shop. I think from what I have been seeing lately that its relatively cheap to rent here. A 3 bedroom apartment with decent sized rooms is probably around 300-350 euros per calendar month. I wish you lots of good luck on whatever decision you choose to take
Old Apr 9th 2012, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Gessika
Yes in my opinion it is very nice. I am Maltese myself and in truth I am looking to go live and work in the UK, but ultimately I want to retire here in Malta. Summers here are hot and humid but beaches and granita make all that bearable. Winters are a different cold than most people are used to because of high humidity but its not unusual to get by here without heating your home. (I wouldn't say the same for summer and cooling your home). On the plus side keeping something cool tends to be cheaper than keeping something warm. Malta is small so everywhere is close to everywhere else, meaning you can choose to live in a quiet area and still be very close to the hustle and bustle of the villages. Its not cheap to live here but its not expensive either if you know where to shop. I think from what I have been seeing lately that its relatively cheap to rent here. A 3 bedroom apartment with decent sized rooms is probably around 300-350 euros per calendar month. I wish you lots of good luck on whatever decision you choose to take
Hey, thanks very much
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 8:57 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

How about Lake Balaton or the Zala Hills in Hungary? Cold in the winter, though it is short and sharp and no worse than my memories of Scottish winters Summers are long and hot whilst property is inexpensive and the people are cultured and very welcoming.
We live in a rural village with a traditional farming community but there are more affluent villages, spa resorts etc
Old May 7th 2012, 6:14 am
Forum Regular

Mike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant future

Europe's Best Kept Secret " Slovenia"! N E Slovenia is like Fairy Land,fantastic landscape,great people,amazing light,wonderful wildlife,the best cup of coffee in Europe
Old May 7th 2012, 7:16 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
How about Lake Balaton or the Zala Hills in Hungary? Cold in the winter, though it is short and sharp and no worse than my memories of Scottish winters Summers are long and hot whilst property is inexpensive and the people are cultured and very welcoming.
We live in a rural village with a traditional farming community but there are more affluent villages, spa resorts etc
Hey thanks. I'll put it on the list of places to check out. I've heard a lot about Hungary and look forward to visiting.
Old May 7th 2012, 7:17 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mike and Janet
Europe's Best Kept Secret " Slovenia"! N E Slovenia is like Fairy Land,fantastic landscape,great people,amazing light,wonderful wildlife,the best cup of coffee in Europe
I have a friend who raves about Slovenia as she is from there. I've never been myself, but have heard many wonderful things from her. Any town in particular I should check out?
Old May 7th 2012, 7:19 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Austrobrit
If you mean by the massive lakes we have, then yes

If you mean the sea, then no but that wasn't a criteria in her description, or did I miss it?
Austria makes the top 5 (and I think the number 1 spot several times in terms of place to retire)...another place I haven't been to yet, but really need to see. I am a big fan of architecture and I understand that there is some really beautiful buildings there.
Old May 7th 2012, 7:24 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

I thought you were making the move across the border to the land of the Magyar There was me on the look out for yurts
Old May 7th 2012, 7:46 am
Forum Regular

Mike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant future

Hi RuralKeep Looking! We have our eye on a little place just on the border with Hungary,so we can have the best of both worlds! Re where to visit,for me its the countryside that makes it special ,with 74% of the country covered in amazing forests,the right to wander where you will,great for collecting superb fungi and mushrooms for breakfast!The Goričko National Park in the very N.E,next door to "Rural" is a must,stop any where for a coffee and the local cake and watch the world go by,Very Slowly!!A trip to Slovenia's oldest town Ptuj is also a to do,sitting on the river Drava with great views from the castle perched high above the town,and spend a while sitting in the square watching life go by too!If you want to take home a handmade traditional basket ,then give us a call!
Old May 7th 2012, 8:12 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Hi RuralKeep Looking! We have our eye on a little place just on the border with Hungary,so we can have the best of both worlds! Re where to visit,for me its the countryside that makes it special ,with 74% of the country covered in amazing forests,the right to wander where you will,great for collecting superb fungi and mushrooms for breakfast!The Goričko National Park in the very N.E,next door to "Rural" is a must,stop any where for a coffee and the local cake and watch the world go by,Very Slowly!!A trip to Slovenia's oldest town Ptuj is also a to do,sitting on the river Drava with great views from the castle perched high above the town,and spend a while sitting in the square watching life go by too!If you want to take home a handmade traditional basket ,then give us a call!
Oh, I think you have enticed me to visit We have friends who live close to the Slovenian border and others the Austrian border, means they benefit from the cheap cost of living, property prices, council tax etc in Hungary whilst enjoying regular visits to the neighbouring countries - makes sense.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.