Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Best place in Europe to retire

Best place in Europe to retire

Old Jul 20th 2012, 5:08 pm
Just Joined

tally71 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Best place in Europe to retire

I have mentioned Turkey before as a great place to retire, we are in our 40's and have used the Turkish medical care system, excellent, we saw a doctor with 10 minutes, for a bad back had an x-ray, injection and medication with follow up appointment all for around £40.

A short time after you become a resident you can then benefit from almost like private healthcare for around £120 per month for husband and wife I think, this only just came into being offered recently. Some friends who are in their late 70's have used this system and speak highly of it, you pay a small amount when you visit. You can also buy a wider range of medications over the counter.

Turkey is one of the most popular places that people visit each year around 30 million people visit each year. So you could get good rental yield until you decide to move out there.

Property prices are rising year upon year, have gone up 10% in the last year and with a strong economy, not in the euro, prices are still looking to continue to increase.

So if you are looking at buying a property for rental first before retirement, please send me a private message and I can provide some further information.

Around 300 sunny days a year, locally grown fruit and vegetables, cheap cost of living and people that are very welcoming..... maybe worth a look.

Thanks
Old Jul 20th 2012, 5:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Blackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud of

why don't you check out Utopia.com?
Old Jul 27th 2012, 12:04 pm
UK Expat Turkey

ozsubasi is an unknown quantity at this point

For those people who are currently considering places such as Portugal and Spain, I have to ask whether you have been following the news regarding the economic situation in the euro zone? Some countries are on the verge of bankruptcy, is that where you see a secure future? Of course you can keep whatever money you have elsewhere, but in terms of services and standard of living, are these countries going to be able to maintain what they could never afford previously, which is largely why they are in the mess they are now?
Old Jul 27th 2012, 12:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozsubasi
For those people who are currently considering places such as Portugal and Spain, I have to ask whether you have been following the news regarding the economic situation in the euro zone? Some countries are on the verge of bankruptcy, is that where you see a secure future? Of course you can keep whatever money you have elsewhere, but in terms of services and standard of living, are these countries going to be able to maintain what they could never afford previously, which is largely why they are in the mess they are now?
Where would you suggest - Turkey perhaps?
Could you suggest any really good property agents?
Thought so
Old Jul 27th 2012, 12:41 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

It must be nice to live a secure life in a country where the currency isnt being shunted from pillar to post by adolescents with nothing else to do with their time than to sell a whole country short, to make a couple of $million profit from a fone call, popping out to buy a new Porsche, coming back after a latte to make a couple of $million with a fone call.

but then, that shows the desirability of the third largest economy in the EU, a position Turkey will never aspire to in a month of Sundays if it should ever be allowed to join. But then you would also want to become part of the €urozone to ensure you get the maximum of benefits available as a poorer country in need of loans for infrastructure.

So please keep your nice safe currency, floating about in the middle of the ocean with nowhere to go. Just beware that after big sharks come the little sharks who toughen up on smaller economies such as Turkey.
Old Jul 27th 2012, 1:53 pm
UK Expat Turkey

Originally Posted by Domino
It must be nice to live a secure life in a country where the currency isnt being shunted from pillar
to post by adolescents with nothing else to do with their time than to sell a whole country short, to make a couple of
$million profit from a fone call, popping out to buy a new Porsche, coming back after a latte to make a couple of $million
with a fone call.
but then, that shows the desirability of the third largest economy in the EU, a position Turkey will never aspire to in a
month of Sundays if it should ever be allowed to join. But then you would also want to become part of the €urozone to
ensure you get the maximum of benefits available as a poorer country in need of loans for infrastructure.
So please keep your nice safe currency, floating about in the middle of the ocean with nowhere to go. Just beware that
after big sharks come the little sharks who toughen up on smaller economies such as Turkey.
I agree with the first part of your post wholeheartedly. But at present Turkey has much more to offer the euro zone than vice versa.

What is happening in the Middle East at present represents a huge power struggle and on this occasion it has nothing to do with oceans but is inland. Those countries directly involved will infuence future world events and economics because they have resources and strategic position. Because of Turkey's connections and growing economy it is becoming more and more influential and many believe it is the key to the stablilty of the region.

Turkey is a growing economy. The "big sharks" are still there but things are changing. Not so long ago different countries held sway nothing lasts forever,
Old Jul 28th 2012, 1:18 pm
UK Expat Turkey

Originally Posted by cyrian
Where would you suggest - Turkey perhaps?
Could you suggest any really good property agents?
Thought so
Excuse me but I have not used this forum to promote Turkey, even though yes I do work for a property company.
I am trying to be objective and if you read my other posts on other threads you will see that I do not either push myself or Turkey, I just answer questions and offer advice based on personal experience.
I came here to live before I was involved in property sales, and I am answering the question on the basis of what is happening in the real world, not through bias.
I have my own websites where I can advertise, I don't need to do it here.
I have a signature link which is allowed by the forum, but I do not self promote in my posts, I am honest in my profile that I am in real estate.
Old Jul 28th 2012, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

jenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond repute

Hello all,

I just wanted to say thanks again for adding your thoughts to this thread. I now have a long list of places to check out thanks to you.

I'd be grateful if people could stay focused on the topic and refrain from making snide remarks or taking jabs at others. I really am appreciative to hear from any/all....so thank you in advance for extending this courtesy to other forum members - life's too short to get worked up over such things.

Kind regards,

Jennifer
Old Jul 28th 2012, 1:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Excuse me but I have not used this forum to promote Turkey, even though yes I do work for a property company.
I am trying to be objective and if you read my other posts on other threads you will see that I do not either push myself or Turkey, I just answer questions and offer advice based on personal experience.
I came here to live before I was involved in property sales, and I am answering the question on the basis of what is happening in the real world, not through bias.
I have my own websites where I can advertise, I don't need to do it here.
I have a signature link which is allowed by the forum, but I do not self promote in my posts, I am honest in my profile that I am in real estate.
You may have noticed that the post is on "Best place to stay in Europe".
There are countries that are not "on the verge of bankruptcy".
One would have to be on the dark side of the moon not to be aware of the problems of certain countries at this time.
There are certainly advantages for EU residents staying within the EU with respect to entitlements where their position is protected by EU law.
You have written elsewhere about certain problems with military law in Turkey and that foreigners cannot complete on house purchases just now because they cannot get their Tapus.
If you want to be honest then it might be better if you point out the minus points also.

My apologies Jenn - I will stick to the thread in future.
I repeat my suggestion that you check the individual forums where you can specific opinions.

I have unsubscribed from this thread.

Last edited by cyrian; Jul 28th 2012 at 1:43 pm. Reason: Addition
Old Jul 28th 2012, 1:45 pm
UK Expat Turkey

Originally Posted by cyrian
If you want to be honest then it might be better if you point out the minus points also.
As you say, I have already done that in other threads. I do not say Turkey is the best place to retire to, I was responding specifically to those who were suggesting other countries, and explaining why they may not be.
Old Jul 31st 2012, 8:22 pm

Harvester523 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would vote for France, but that's because I love it here. Tax-wise, it's not terribly attractive, bureaucracy is horrible. (Our) lifestyle is great. I can't fault the health service though it's under pressure and may not be so good long term. Lack of crime does it for me - I know of one local burglary in the 9 years we've been here (and we think we know who the burglar was), but we may just be lucky in the area we've chosen. Our GP is great, his secretary is a volunteer fire brigade member, the maire is keen to improve the community. The local hospitals are no worse, no better than anywhere. Officials are helpful. Winters are snowy, summers are (usually) hot. But, everyone wants something different and a rural French speaking community isn't for everyone. We love the countryside and the space. Nightlife is non existent here, there are few expats though we meet a few now and then, all our neighbours are French speaking only, we all look out for each other, anyone can ask someone for a helping hand and get it. It wouldn't suit everyone but it suits us. We have a local 4 day motorcycle trial here once a year with around 150 British riders and that really makes the place come alive, but when they've gone, it's not desolate, just back to normality.
I've recently had itchy feet, but that's just made me realise more that I love it here and couldn't imagine being anywhere else.
Old Jul 31st 2012, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

jenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Harvester523
I would vote for France, but that's because I love it here. Tax-wise, it's not terribly attractive, bureaucracy is horrible. (Our) lifestyle is great. I can't fault the health service though it's under pressure and may not be so good long term. Lack of crime does it for me - I know of one local burglary in the 9 years we've been here (and we think we know who the burglar was), but we may just be lucky in the area we've chosen. Our GP is great, his secretary is a volunteer fire brigade member, the maire is keen to improve the community. The local hospitals are no worse, no better than anywhere. Officials are helpful. Winters are snowy, summers are (usually) hot. But, everyone wants something different and a rural French speaking community isn't for everyone. We love the countryside and the space. Nightlife is non existent here, there are few expats though we meet a few now and then, all our neighbours are French speaking only, we all look out for each other, anyone can ask someone for a helping hand and get it. It wouldn't suit everyone but it suits us. We have a local 4 day motorcycle trial here once a year with around 150 British riders and that really makes the place come alive, but when they've gone, it's not desolate, just back to normality.
I've recently had itchy feet, but that's just made me realise more that I love it here and couldn't imagine being anywhere else.
Sounds idyllic What region of France do you live? How did you learn French? Did you grow up taking it, or take lessons at some point in adult life or did you learn once there?
Old Aug 1st 2012, 6:55 am
UK Expat Turkey

Originally Posted by Harvester523
I would vote for France,
I think your post is really good because you explain exactly why where you have chosen works for you and why it may not work for someone else.
That is the real difficulty in answering a question like this - everyone's lifestyle is different and what is absolutely perfect for one could be a nightmare for another.
Apart from that there are the practicalities of budget restrictions, services, language etc etc.
I don't think there is really an answer, it is for each individual to decide what their priorities are first and then see which locations seem best to meet them.

Last edited by ozsubasi; Aug 1st 2012 at 6:57 am.
Old Aug 1st 2012, 7:16 am

Harvester523 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jenninedinburgh
Sounds idyllic What region of France do you live? How did you learn French? Did you grow up taking it, or take lessons at some point in adult life or did you learn once there?
Hi, Creuse in the Limousin (in the middle of France). We both learnt French up to O level at school a very long time ago, and when we got here it was pretty basic - now we can just about manage a conversation, though concentration lapses after about half an hour of gabble.

Hi ozsubasi - Thanks : ) It's so true, and I think also where some people come unstuck is, certainly in this area, once they've done the reno, there's nothing to occupy them (we have animals, so there's always something to do!)

Last edited by Harvester523; Aug 1st 2012 at 7:22 am.
Old Aug 1st 2012, 10:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Blackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud of

Hi Harvester,
We're not exactly neighbours, but a couple of hours down the A20 in Charente. We have some friends who have a summer place in the Creuse and love it there as well. We usually meet up with them somewhere near Brantome (24) because they love the drive down and then they stop over somewhere on the way back. I finally (phew) retire on 1 october and then we'll be making the move permanently down to Charente, where we have owned our house for almost 3 years now. We live in Sweden so our drive is a 2 day affair (abt 2000 k), but it gets easier every time! Hope to meet up some time.
Good luck
Blackie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.