Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Belgian naturalization (the long way) takes 3 yrs?

Belgian naturalization (the long way) takes 3 yrs?

Old Apr 4th 2008, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

jgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nice
Default Belgian naturalization (the long way) takes 3 yrs?

Below is the sequence of steps for Belgian citizenship, apparently needed for non-EU citizens who will work for an employer:
  1. Acquire class B work permit
  2. Register with local law enforcement office
  3. Move from hotel to permanent residence
  4. Re-register with local law enforcement office (if different office)
  5. Acquire foreign ID card
  6. Acquire residence visa (needed for residence permit)
  7. Renew work permit (annual)
  8. Renew foreign ID card (annual)
  9. Acquire temporary residence permit
  10. After 3 years of residency, apply for citizenship.
The list above was derived from different sources, so I would like to know if I've compiled everything correctly, and in the correct sequence. It seems strange that residency is not simply included with a work permit.

My main question is whether the 3 years of residency must be entirely during the period of the residence period, or does the clock start as soon as one arrives? It appears that it might take some time before the residence permit is finally granted.

Sources:
http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...o_belgium.html
http://www.anyworkanywhere.com/
http://www.justlanded.com/english/Be...s/Work-permits

Last edited by jgombos; Apr 4th 2008 at 9:24 pm.
Old Apr 5th 2008, 10:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Belgian naturalization (the long way) takes 3 yrs?

Better p.m. me , there's quite a bit to cover here...!!!
Old Apr 9th 2008, 2:31 pm
Just Joined

bardine is an unknown quantity at this point

hi i have lived in belgium for five years now on just a residents card that i renew every year! all the rest was done autamatically through the system ie taxes as i started working but things like health insurance you have to sort out your self but its really not difficult where i moved no one would or could speak english but with sign language or just very bad hand movments we got there!!
Old Nov 27th 2008, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

jgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nice

So I hear that even though citizenship can be had in just 3 years, there is a lot of discretion on the part of those making the decision. A Belgian accountant tells me most naturalization applicants are turned down.

So what can be done to succeed?

I read that the strongest tie to Belgium is a debt. If I buy a property and get a mortgage, are they likely to approve the citizenship application?
Old Nov 29th 2008, 11:50 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jgombos
So I hear that even though citizenship can be had in just 3 years, there is a lot of discretion on the part of those making the decision. A Belgian accountant tells me most naturalization applicants are turned down.

Wouldn't the question be better posed to a Belgian lawyer?

Or take a look to see if any statistics are published?
Old Nov 30th 2008, 12:49 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
Wouldn't the question be better posed to a Belgian lawyer?
I don't have access to one, but a Belgian lawyer who specializes in naturalization would be a good source.
Originally Posted by JAJ
Or take a look to see if any statistics are published?
It's difficult to find them. The stats that I see are a little old, and don't indicate the rejection rate (only the number of accepted applications):

http://www.migrationinformation.org/...lay.cfm?ID=164

The stats I need may be published in French (a lot of them are), but I'm limited to English.
Old Nov 30th 2008, 1:09 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Stats with that number of approvals in a country Belgium's size don't suggest that "most applications are refused."

Realistically, you need to find yourself a good Belgian lawyer with experience of immigration and nationality matters.

Does Belgium not have a language requirement for naturalisation?
Old Nov 30th 2008, 8:24 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
Stats with that number of approvals in a country
Does Belgium not have a language requirement for naturalisation?
I don't think so, but I plan to learn french anyway.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

Default Belgian naturalization really takes 8 years, if you're lucky

For anyone following this thread: it turns out that 3 yrs isn't even close to reality. There are lots of gotchas. I was quite mislead by Belgium's short residency requirement for naturalization.

It turns out that getting a resident ID card and a residency visa is not "residency", and time in the country with those documents counts for nothing toward naturalization. One must live in a country as a temporary resident for 5 years before applying for permanent residence. Only then does the time count toward naturalization.

So if I finally understand this correctly, after all the confusion, it really takes 8 years to get Belgian citizenship (5 yrs to get permanent residence, and another 3 as a permanent resident to apply for citizenship). At that point, odds are that the applicant will be rejected anyway*.

* I just read that a PhD who spoke Flemish applied for citizenship, and was denied (despite language not being required), suggesting how unlikely it is to acquire parliamentary approval. (ref: http://www.immigrationboards.com/old...opic_id=000253 )

I've read is that you can be almost guaranteed Belgian citizenship "by way of declaration" if you are a permanent resident for 7 years (for a total of 12?). The catch there is that there is an age constraint, such that if you enter Belgium after turning 18 or 19, you don't qualify.

Am I right? It's difficult to find a definitive source on this.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 10:03 am
Just Joined

zingzong1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Belgian naturalization (the long way) takes 3 yrs?

Dear all,

Thought that I would reopen this thread instead of starting a new one.

I am British and have been married to a Belge for about five years, and would like to take up Belgian citizenship.

However, I lived in Belgium from mid 1999 until mid 2003, and then left the country with my then girlfriend. We are now living elsewhere in the EU awaiting better job prospects in Belgium. We were married in December 2003. I know that there is(was) a process of equating residence abroad with residence in Belgium, but I am unsure which hoops I have to jump through to do this, and the usual Belgium government websites are quite vauge about what qualifies.

There is a Belgium Consulate where we live.

How could I complete the naturlisation process?
Old Jan 31st 2009, 11:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

For those who can read dutch: "How do I become a Belg?"

And in french: Comment devenir belge?

Last edited by Toontje; Jan 31st 2009 at 11:35 pm.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 12:31 pm
Just Joined

zingzong1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have read those links, but as far as I can tell from reading through this thread, those bullet points in the links are really subjective.

For example,
How does one equate residence abroad with residence in Belgium, and show ties to Belgium. I quote, "- Peut être assimilée à la résidence en Belgique, la résidence à l'étranger lorsque l'intéressé prouve qu'il a eu, pendant la durée requise, des attaches véritables avec la Belgique."

What are ties to Belgium:

* member of a political party?
* married to a Belgian?
* having a bank account in Belgium?
* eating moules frite once a week?
* debt ;P

z
Old Feb 1st 2009, 3:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zingzong1
I have read those links, but as far as I can tell from reading through this thread, those bullet points in the links are really subjective.

For example,
How does one equate residence abroad with residence in Belgium, and show ties to Belgium. I quote, "- Peut être assimilée à la résidence en Belgique, la résidence à l'étranger lorsque l'intéressé prouve qu'il a eu, pendant la durée requise, des attaches véritables avec la Belgique."

What are ties to Belgium:

* member of a political party?
* married to a Belgian?
* having a bank account in Belgium?
* eating moules frite once a week?
* debt ;P

z
Family in Belgium certainly helps, but assets and debts are probably valued higher in this context.