Austria?

Old Jan 8th 2018, 12:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Richard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Austria?

Originally Posted by Assanah
What will be open to discussion on the EU level is the freedom of movement for British living in Germany and Austria. It is unlikely that they will be covered by the freedom of movement after Brexit. So they probably have to apply for visas in the other EU country if they want to move there ( depending on their respective status). Just like other Non-EU citizens. Check the rights of Australians or US citizens in the EU. Your future will probably look like their presence.
I agree it will not be the same movement rights for Brits wanting to move to Austria or Germany after Brexit. But I seriously doubt it will be equivalent to nationals of Australia, Canada, or US. Europe is Europe, and just like for the Swiss and Norwegians, accommodations can be made. But definitely uncertain.

But it’s such a shame what Brexit is potentially about to do. Not only limit EU movement for retired UK citizens like me, but basically ruined the future for an entire generation of British students and young people wanting to see, experience, work, and live in an EU country. Britain will be so much poorer for this decision in terms of knowledge exchange, broad experience, and external perspectives.
Old Jan 8th 2018, 3:20 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Richard8655

But it’s such a shame what Brexit is potentially about to do. Not only limit EU movement for retired UK citizens like me, but basically ruined the future for an entire generation of British students and young people wanting to see, experience, work, and live in an EU country. Britain will be so much poorer for this decision in terms of knowledge exchange, broad experience, and external perspectives.
Sorry but if I understood the context, you are incorrect. The loss of Free Movement will not "limit" your ability to travel around Europe for months at a time, nor will it hinder your ability to buy a holiday flat in Ibiza that you stay in for part of the year.

What it will cause you to lose, is the right to work career-type (not backpacker-type) jobs, and to settle permanently in another EU country. It has nothing to do with travel and tourism; I would fully expect there to be a working-holiday visa scheme introduced for backpackers and students (as with Australia and Canada), nor would I expect restrictions on property purchases, just the rights to stay in them year-round, which already exist in many countries outside the EU. Even those may be waived if the price of the purchase is over a certain threshold.

According to the Guardian's own figures, only 1 to 2 percent of Britons were taking advantage of their Free Movement rights anyways (which, again, do not include travel and tourism). There has been this false mythology that has developed around what Free Movement is and isn't. Don't worry your ability to be a grey nomad with a camper touring the continent will still be there.
Old Jan 8th 2018, 6:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Richard8655
I agree it will not be the same movement rights for Brits wanting to move to Austria or Germany after Brexit. But I seriously doubt it will be equivalent to nationals of Australia, Canada, or US. Europe is Europe, and just like for the Swiss and Norwegians, accommodations can be made. But definitely uncertain.

Freedom of movement for British will only be achieved if the UK allows freedom of movement in return. I think the UK will not accept that. So it is highly unlikely that there will be any accommodation. If you want to retire in the EU you should do so before Brexit or check the "Australian" option. That is the only logical outcome of Brexit I am afraid 😞
Old Jan 8th 2018, 6:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
Assanah, I looked up that story of the 15 year old German girl. The conduct of ARD is once again reprehensible. Yeah sure they didn't try to repress the story.
I don't have a TV. But newspapers and magazine brought the story.

I think it embarrassing that the ARD would argue that this is only a relationship tragedy and that they never report on those things. Afterall they report on Boris Becker's third wedding.

Teenagers killing teenagers are not the normal story. It is (was?) very rare in Germany that a teenager kills a teenager out of jealousy or hurt feelings. So I believe that this is a very significant case.
Old Jan 8th 2018, 8:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry but if I understood the context, you are incorrect. The loss of Free Movement will not "limit" your ability to travel around Europe for months at a time, nor will it hinder your ability to buy a holiday flat in Ibiza that you stay in for part of the year.

What it will cause you to lose, is the right to work career-type (not backpacker-type) jobs, and to settle permanently in another EU country. It has nothing to do with travel and tourism; I would fully expect there to be a working-holiday visa scheme introduced for backpackers and students (as with Australia and Canada), nor would I expect restrictions on property purchases, just the rights to stay in them year-round, which already exist in many countries outside the EU. Even those may be waived if the price of the purchase is over a certain threshold.

According to the Guardian's own figures, only 1 to 2 percent of Britons were taking advantage of their Free Movement rights anyways (which, again, do not include travel and tourism). There has been this false mythology that has developed around what Free Movement is and isn't. Don't worry your ability to be a grey nomad with a camper touring the continent will still be there.
I think perhaps you may be unaware of the differences between retirees from an EU country and non-EU countries in terms of regulations for residence in EU countries- though you mention yourself one potential restriction on length of time a UK citizen can stay.

Work and study opportunities are there now, whether 1 or 2% of British citizens as you pint out or more in practice- add that to British retirees and the number is sizeable. and then there is the potential negative effect on British business.

So in the face of these negatives, at whatever level they may be,
those supporting Brexit I have yet to understand what are the positives in real terms of Brexit ? NHS getting more money- that has proven to be a myth. Cost savings- seems a big divorce bill tacitly being agreed to. Sharply reducing all immigration, it doesn't seem any dramatic changes being proposed. Huge economic benefits of reducing , again to whatever degree final deal ends up with, access to one of biggest world markets ? I would like to understand and while emotionally I can understand the satisfaction telling EU bureaucrats to go stuff themselves, besides that what are the real benefits of Brexit ?
Old Jan 8th 2018, 11:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth
I think perhaps you may be unaware of the differences between retirees from an EU country and non-EU countries in terms of regulations for residence in EU countries- though you mention yourself one potential restriction on length of time a UK citizen can stay.

Work and study opportunities are there now, whether 1 or 2% of British citizens as you pint out or more in practice- add that to British retirees and the number is sizeable. and then there is the potential negative effect on British business.

So in the face of these negatives, at whatever level they may be,
those supporting Brexit I have yet to understand what are the positives in real terms of Brexit ? NHS getting more money- that has proven to be a myth. Cost savings- seems a big divorce bill tacitly being agreed to. Sharply reducing all immigration, it doesn't seem any dramatic changes being proposed. Huge economic benefits of reducing , again to whatever degree final deal ends up with, access to one of biggest world markets ? I would like to understand and while emotionally I can understand the satisfaction telling EU bureaucrats to go stuff themselves, besides that what are the real benefits of Brexit ?
I am aware of the differences. Brits are not the only people who buy second properties in Spain. Lots of non-EU Citizens including Americans, Russians and Chinese have holiday houses in Spain, Italy, Greece etc. Those countries will happily take the money of non-EU citizens for property purchases and even facilitate residence permits. Where it can be a problem is in some of the Nordic countries like Denmark - but all the southern ones that people want to go to, it's possible. I don't see why a retired Brit wouldn't be able to do in Spain, what a Russian can do in Spain now.

It still is not a sizable group. The 1 to 2 percent included the retirees. Europe is still a quilt and not a fondue.

I was against Brexit (weakly) because of why the UK joined in the first place, which was to stabilise its plunging GDP relative to the Common Market-6, which membership did. Brexiteers failed to make a case as to why it won't start plunging again. That being said membership of the TPP is totally incompatible with Brexit ideology, and it makes no sense why you would leave the Single Market yet then go join the TPP. I believe remain would have won had Merkel not launched the migrant crisis at the same time as the campaign.

Merkel will ultimately go down as the worst post-war leader of the European democracies.
Old Jan 9th 2018, 12:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

I am aware of the differences. Brits are not the only people who buy second properties in Spain. Lots of non-EU Citizens including Americans, Russians and Chinese have holiday houses in Spain, Italy, Greece etc. Those countries will happily take the money of non-EU citizens for property purchases and even facilitate residence permits. Where it can be a problem is in some of the Nordic countries like Denmark - but all the southern ones that people want to go to, it's possible. I don't see why a retired Brit wouldn't be able to do in Spain, what a Russian can do in Spain now.

It still is not a sizable group. The 1 to 2 percent included the retirees. Europe is still a quilt and not a fondue.

I was against Brexit (weakly) because of why the UK joined in the first place, which was to stabilise its plunging GDP relative to the Common Market-6, which membership did. Brexiteers failed to make a case as to why it won't start plunging again. That being said membership of the TPP is totally incompatible with Brexit ideology, and it makes no sense why you would leave the Single Market yet then go join the TPP. I believe remain would have won had Merkel not launched the migrant crisis at the same time as the campaign.

Merkel will ultimately go down as the worst post-war leader of the European democracies.
right now pretty easy for Brit and not necessarily wealthy ones to retire abroad , brexit will make it to some degree-we don't know, more difficult. I know looking at the rules for Italy and Croatia much more complicated and expensive if one not EU citizen.

actually I think Merkel will not go down as one of the worst post-war leaders of Europe, but one of worst leaders in European history. She has unleased a demographic and ideological time-bomb on Europe, followed by the collective elite of Sweden doing the same.
Old Jan 9th 2018, 7:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Yes,those Russians are the one with a good amount of money. Theses people can retire where there want. British with a decent amount of money will be able to retire where they want too. But British with an average pension won't.