Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Best Place to Buy a Property in Europe- Part 2

Best Place to Buy a Property in Europe- Part 2

Old Jan 1st 2018, 2:45 pm
Forum Regular

jenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Best Place to Buy a Property in Europe- Part 2

Hello there,

The new year for me is always a time to slow down and ponder my dreams. I accomplished a lot in 2017 and hit a significant milestone in my life. I am also starting a new job in August. So, for real, most of my dreams have come true. Not one to be idle, I have my next new dream on the horizon and it will for sure take many years to accomplish. That dream is to own a property in the US (done) and in Europe (long-term goal).

As a dual citizen of the US and UK, I never feel quite at home in either place. Last night I rang in the new year to celebrate both Hogmanay at 7pm and the east coast of the US at 12AM. I miss Scotland and Europe in general. Owning a home in Scotland would be pricey, but may be something I look at in future as perhaps that would be best - although high cost of living and property/council taxes are something to seriously consider.

Where is everyone else planning to buy? Has BREXIT had any implications for your plans? What is the ideal place with great transport options, low taxes, and low cost of living? I had some terrific ideas shared on this thread a few years ago. I thought I would reach out again and see what people are thinking these days.

TIA

Last edited by jenninedinburgh; Jan 1st 2018 at 2:52 pm.
Old Jan 2nd 2018, 12:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best Place to Buy a Property in Europe- Part 2

Hi Jenn,
Why dont you considering renting initially?
I have a couple of USC friends who live near Miami in the winter and rent an apartment in France for the year and live there in the summer.
After several years, they needed a change and they decided to move to another town in another region in France.
This means that they remain tax-resident in the US and dont have any issues related to selling a property (Capital Gains).
If you eventually decide that you are happy with your choice then you have the option to buy.
HTH

Last edited by cyrian; Jan 2nd 2018 at 12:41 pm.
Old Jan 2nd 2018, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

jenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cyrian
Hi Jenn,
Why dont you considering renting initially?
I have a couple of USC friends who live near Miami in the winter and rent an apartment in France for the year and live there in the summer.
After several years, they needed a change and they decided to move to another town in another region in France.
This means that they remain tax-resident in the US and dont have any issues related to selling a property (Capital Gains).
If you eventually decide that you are happy with your choice then you have the option to buy.
HTH
That's a really good idea. My husband has said why don't we just Airbnb it each year until we find our happy place. This is of course very sensible, but I guess I just want my own place. It's absolutely what we should do in the beginning.
When you say they rent a place in France for the whole year, do you mean they rent it the whole year and just stay there during the summer?
Old Jan 2nd 2018, 2:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jenninedinburgh
That's a really good idea. My husband has said why don't we just Airbnb it each year until we find our happy place. This is of course very sensible, but I guess I just want my own place. It's absolutely what we should do in the beginning.
When you say they rent a place in France for the whole year, do you mean they rent it the whole year and just stay there during the summer?
Yes that is exactly what they do.
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 1:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by franklee2
This new year for me was also the time of thinking over my goals and dreams. We are living in the UK now planning on moving to Greece. This country has always attracted me not only because of its climate or sunny days, there are lots of possibilities for the business development. I want to buy a house in Athens and look for the variants. I have already found the agency <snip> that can help me with it. But of course it`ll take much time to make this my dream come true. I simply believe that I`ll manage it
Have you ruled out Spain and Italy?

Last edited by christmasoompa; Mar 27th 2018 at 10:20 am. Reason: Link removed from spammers quoted post
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 1:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by franklee2
This new year for me was also the time of thinking over my goals and dreams. We are living in the UK now planning on moving to Greece. This country has always attracted me not only because of its climate or sunny days, there are lots of possibilities for the business development. I want to buy a house in Athens and look for the variants. I have already found the agency <snip> that can help me with it. But of course it`ll take much time to make this my dream come true. I simply believe that I`ll manage it
Greece is still an amazing country for scenery, climate etc. but when it comes to ease of doing business unfortunately not that great and corruption even worse than Spain + red tape and taxes on everything. Of course it depends on your business but know many Greeks in Germany who left for those reasons.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Mar 27th 2018 at 10:20 am. Reason: Link removed from spammers quoted post
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 5:51 pm
Banned

franklee2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Greece is still an amazing country for scenery, climate etc. but when it comes to ease of doing business unfortunately not that great and corruption even worse than Spain + red tape and taxes on everything. Of course it depends on your business but know many Greeks in Germany who left for those reasons.
I`ve heard about the corruption but still this country worths it. I`m a freelancer and the thing is than we`ve already decided upon the movement