Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Anyone in Andorra?

Anyone in Andorra?

Old Oct 27th 2015, 8:02 am
BE Enthusiast

teejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anyone in Andorra?

I know it's a bit of a long-shot, but is there anyone here living in Andorra or with previous experience of doing so? Alternatively, perhaps someone has considered and rejected it as a destination. Any comments welcomed.
Old Oct 27th 2015, 10:01 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone in Andorra?

Apparently, around 80000 live there.

It is one of the richest principalities in the world, and uses the Euro as its currency. In fact, all banks in Andorra are private, there is no central banking institution, and nobody really knows for sure how much money is sitting in Andorra's banks. Rumour has it that the number is astronomical, and includes much of the Catholic church's wealth. Apparently, it is the only place in the world where certain high-net-worth individuals can hold a numbered bank account. It is not an EU member nor schengen, but as it has no airport or sea port, and access to it is only via Spain and France, so nobody really enforces the schengen border.

A little beyond my economic league, but it sounds lovely.
Old Oct 27th 2015, 11:25 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teejaydee
I know it's a bit of a long-shot, but is there anyone here living in Andorra or with previous experience of doing so? Alternatively, perhaps someone has considered and rejected it as a destination. Any comments welcomed.
It's always amused me that Andorra has two co-princes, the current Bishop of Urgell and the current President of France.
But that's beside the point, I know nobody who can advise on living there.
Old Oct 30th 2015, 3:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Simple question first. What attracts you particularly about Andorra?
It's a place we visit every now and again, but never more than 2 days at a time, and never in the winter as we can't stand the white stuff or cold weather.
We were last there in Sept. Excellent hotel, good choice of interesting restaurants, and fascinating shopping. Always pleased to leave though as it gets very 'samey', and claustrophobic imho.
I always make a point of filling the car fuel-tank just before we depart from Andorra, as the return trip to our location then practically pays for itself (fuel price was 0,88 euros/litre compared to 1.11 euros/litre in France.
You may be interested to know that property prices appeared to be astronomical. No way would I wish to live there!