Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Any expats living in Montenego?

Any expats living in Montenego?

Old Jan 19th 2007, 10:03 am
Forum Regular

BODGE71 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any expats living in Montenego?

TanyaN - how reliable is the internet connection? is it as reliable as the UK(Hope it is a lot more reliable than Croatia's internet service which is very poor)?

Nykky - Land/property is dirt cheap inland away from the coast. In relation to getting your utilities connected, costs are dependent on the size of your property - larger the property, more expensive it is. unfair in my view.

Phil - I'd be looking at Herceg Novi or Budva if I were you - Budva is probably a better choice especially if you are looking at an upmarket cafe/bistro as it's filling with rich russians fast. many of these russians are settling permanently in Budva/surrounding areas so you should be able to make a decent living.

Ray - you're confusing Montenegro with Albania or possibly another continent - africa maybe.
Old Jan 19th 2007, 3:59 pm
World Citizen

Nykky is an unknown quantity at this point

Bodge - we have friends now in MN. Internet will be crucial for me so I'm also interested in the ins and outs. I've been told that at least around the kotor bay, it's fine.
Are you moving over there?

Phil - my friends tell me that sales of commercial properties like cafes and bars are rare. You might need to have a contingency plan, move over there, and then search while you're there.

There's a MN forum at: www.montenegroforums.com although it's gone very quiet in last 6 months.
Old Jan 20th 2007, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Nykky
Bodge - we have friends now in MN. Internet will be crucial for me so I'm also interested in the ins and outs. I've been told that at least around the kotor bay, it's fine.

Phil - my friends tell me that sales of commercial properties like cafes and bars are rare. You might need to have a contingency plan, move over there, and then search while you're there.

There's a MN forum at: www.montenegroforums.com although it's gone very quiet in last 6 months.
Nykky - initially it'll be a holiday home but if i am able in the near future to make a living trading the stock market then i'll be giving serious consideration to moving there - hence the crucial need for a stable and relatively quick internet connection 1MB would be fine for me as i've already managed to run 2 pc's on a router no probs with that connection speed in the UK - i would need to enquire abbout the contention ratio first though before moving - other option is to obtain satellite broadband connection. would i stay there all year round? doubt it from a tax perspective even though CGT is only 11.5%. would definitely consider moving there for 6 months of the year in summer and finding somewhere else in europe to live in winter - such as Cyprus. I've been to Montenero in the winter on the coast and it's very mild. it was 64F last week!!! i expect it to get even warmer in the summer due to global warming, and it's already hot - i imagine it's a similar temp to sydney's summer - a bit too hot for my taste. there's definitely a lot of activity in montenegro at the moment. i don't know if you've heard about the canadian millionaire who bought a former shipyard in Tivat - spent $75M and expects total outlay to be $500M - going to be a luxury complex for the yachting crowd. it's attraction for the rich will be the fact that Monty has the only natural fjord in the med, enabling them to moor their vast ships like Abraovich who alread owns large tracts of land there. talking of russians, they're moving in in numbers now which is what is pushing up prices on the coast and the scandinavians are buying inland. if you decide to buy land my advice is to buy now and you can build whenever you like then. it's still poor/undeveloped though but i expect that to change as more foreigners buy places such as myself.

Phil - my advice to you would be to buy a large house and run a B&B over the summer months - a friend of a friend already does that with a house with 6 rooms - makes £25,000 a year for 6 months work!! combine the coast with activity - hire a local to take mountain bikers/hikers to Kolashin or further up to Durmitor to walk/cycle/white water raft (in the world's second largest canyon) see visitmontenegro.com to see a few photos.
Old Jan 20th 2007, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Nykky

Nykky - P.S forget to say that i've heard that there are plans to build a new airport in the centre of Montenegro - in Gornje Polje (take a look on the map - http://www.visit-montenegro.com/imag...roads-map.jpg). no idea when it'll be built or how large it will be or possible destinations. if you aren't too far from the coast Dubrovnik airport will be suffice - just a chore looking at all the miserable border guards at both checkpoints, hehehehe.
Old Jan 20th 2007, 11:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of

Ray - you're confusing Montenegro with Albania or possibly another continent - africa maybe.[/QUOTE]

Been to Crna Gora a few times ;
- many parts of Africa boast both :
a much superior infrastructure and
better natives' work ethics !
Bon Courage !
Old Jan 21st 2007, 8:36 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ray51
Ray - you're confusing Montenegro with Albania or possibly another continent - africa maybe.
Been to Crna Gora a few times ;
- many parts of Africa boast both :
a much superior infrastructure and
better natives' work ethics !
Bon Courage ![/QUOTE]
Some countries in africa may well have better infrastructure and the locals a better attitude to work (won't disagree with that issue) but it's nowhere near as bad as the image you portray. when was the last time you visited the place? i've travelled to most parts of the country and it's perfectly fine to get about. the only bugbear i have with the utilities is the water supply which is o then off then on again during the day but i've heard that's going to be sorted out relatively soon. it's not on a par with germany/austria but then again it's not a third world tinpot country either. a lot of money is being invested at the moment and as long as that continues then the future looks pretty good for the montenegrins.
Old Jul 21st 2007, 2:33 pm
Just Joined

Netiuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Any expats living in Montenego?

Hi, my partner and I are driving over in the Autumn with what we need in a van and caravan.
I'm interested in land in the area to the west and north of Niksic and so will need to find somewhere to pitch for a week or two whilst we orientate ourselves, any ideas?? Top Tips ??
Cheers
Go Well
Neti
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 12:34 am
Just Joined

ColinS is an unknown quantity at this point

when you say property is dirt cheap away from the coast... what does this dirt cheap means...

200 euros / sq m ?

500 euros / sq m ?

800 euros / sq m ?

Thanks
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 4:34 am
Forum Regular

TanyaN is on a distinguished road

There's a new constitution being written and the rumour is foreigners will be banned from owning land, whether there's an object on it or not.

You've probably missed the boat anyway as the Russians have bought up anything worth buying. Anything left is either over priced or there's a problem with it.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 1:22 pm
World Citizen

Hey Tanya, nice to see you're still around.

Hubby and I are moving over to Crna Gora in 3-4 weeks! We're 'renting' first before finding our land. We have a few plots we're considering. We're doing a 5 day trip across Europe with 2 dogs, so that's going to be inetresting.

Hubby's brother is in Serbia, and a friend is in CG, at the moment. They've told us how hot it is. I can't wait to leave this dreary wet summer behind.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

Hi there. Just to warn you it's 40+ every day here and haven't had rain for quite a while so bushfires and water restrictions in some areas. Apparently it's going to continue like this throughout August.

Good luck with the land purchase but as I mentioned the Russians are everywhere (even in the most remote villages) so local expectations re price have jumped. There's also talk about new laws once the constitution is finalised re land purchase and use by foreigners (Serbians are now considered foreigners).
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 6:16 pm
Just Joined

davieh is an unknown quantity at this point

Presumably, any changes in the constitution wouldn't enforce those foreigners who already have land to sell up ??

Has the property market really gone wild inland as well as on the coast ?

I heard the Russians prefer places in the mountains 20 or so minutes drive to the sea as opposed to on the sea front. Still, I suppose a lot of them must live 500 plus km's from the sea at home so anywhere in Monte is comparatively near to the coast.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 6:58 pm
World Citizen

Hi Davie,

My hubby is Serbian (born in UK) and we have many friends in Montenegro. We have managed to secure viewings and first offers on several pieces of land that are dirt cheap. However, they are inland (no sea views and at least 40 min drive to coast).

Going inland also means more often than not, no electricity, water, amenities, and so on. And often no neighbours as the young people no longer want to farm and the Montenegrins have moved to the coast. This is fine for us because we're looking for a self-sufficient(ish) life. But for many it is probably much too isolated.

Secondly, the reason we've found cheap land is because my husband is Serbian and because of who we know. That's how it works in many similar countries - it's who you know.

As a Brit, you're likely to pay way over the odds, have more legal hassles, and struggle if going to isolated areas.

If you're determined to go to Crna Gora, I wouldn't put you off. But, facts are, it's a matter of having the cash and being willing to part with it, and going yesterday. This is not Spain or some other areas in Europe. The pricing is totally ridiculous. The Russians have bought an enormous amount and because their money often comes from questionable means, they have no problem paying inflated prices. The Montenegrins, understandably, are trying to get as much as they can. Prices can and do change weekly.

With so many mountains, the Montenegro most of us consider is entirely coastal. It's the concentration of housing on the coast around the bay that is the problem regarding prices. A tiny shabby house with a tiny bit of land costs a ridiculous £100,000, if you're lucky. 'Inland' means up the mountains with horrible roads or donkey tracks, and as I mentioned, no utilities. The other option is inland proper, which then you're looking at Cetnije or the capital, or further still towards the snowy mountains - an entirely different country. But depends on what you're after. The prices are much, much better in inland proper.

I would choose Montenegro not because it's cheap, but because that's where my heart was set on going.

Last edited by Nykky; Jul 23rd 2007 at 7:08 pm.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 7:11 pm
World Citizen

Hi Tanya,

Yes, my BIL texted us one day us saying it was 46c in Serbia! Madness. lol As an Aussie, I can't wait for those temperatures. Finding water is all part of the adventure of life. I remember the bush fires in Oz, it's so ingrained in us, how to prepare for them.

Mind you, even I would prefer soemthing closer to 35c.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

You'd be surprised but the Russians have gone completely inland even as far as villages north of Niksic and around Cetinje. The area around Cetinje is of particular interest to them because apparently that's where the new highway is coming through from Dubrovnik so lots of business opportunities.

Foreigners won't be forced to sell what they've already bought but it will just make it more difficult to sell as your buyer market will shrink. There is also a crackdown on illegal building so it's going to get more difficult to build anywhere without proper approval.

The Russians are cash rich due to oil, gas and privitisation. It's easier for them to invest in Montenegro because they don't need a visa and feel comfortable with the culture. They also spend a lot of money here on services and if it wasn't for them we wouldn't be getting the improvements in infrastructure that are happening.

No-one wants Montenegro turning into another Spain so maybe it's not such a bad thing if Brits are turned off buying here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.