Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Any Expats in The Czech Republic ?

Any Expats in The Czech Republic ?

Old Mar 14th 2016, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

Cihadlo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any Expats in The Czech Republic ?

Ahoj Gail!

Hope everything is good with you.

Well it wasn't very long before we took a new cat from the rescue centre but we're having a few problems with Matej. He is very timid and not used to other animals. He's spent most of the last three weeks either under a bed or in a wardrobe. He sort-of lives in our house but not with us. We need to be patient but aren't making much progress at the moment.

I did my first task of the Spring on the garden - flattening the winter's molehills with a heavy roller. Not perhaps the greatest thing for my back but I seemed to have got away with it. Then, the next morning there was a huge new molehill in the middle of our road to the gate! I'm sure someone was making a point. Our next annual set-piece will be hacking the vegetation down around the permeter fence before it has chance to grow again.

It looks like our big project for this year will be a house rewire. We are still struggling to work out how we will do this and live in the house at the same time. Also, we have four tiled rooms that will get pretty trashed and require redoing. Probably we will do downstairs this year and upstairs next year and replace the kitchen at the same time.

I'm planning to go to the UK for the fist time for three years for the 23rd June. I think you can guess why! Before then, my mother is threatening to come again in May by which time she will be 87.

Chris
Old Apr 16th 2016, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

motyl is an unknown quantity at this point

Ahoj Chris,

Hope this finds you well and that Matej has settled down with you now.I must say that although I love all animals ,if I had to choose I would put dogs in first place.We have two dogs ,Eli and Kitty and our cat called Alfi.Cats are very much "their own boss! ! "and only want your attention and affection when they feel like it.However itˇs great that you have given Matej a home but he maybe didnˇt have a good home whwere he was previously.As you said you just have to be patient and I´m sure in time he will learn to trust you.

I´ve also been busy in the garden but I must say that I enjoy the work Yesterday we bought a strimmer itˇs petrol so I don´t have to worry about an extention lead.Standa went to work so I got it up and running and itˇts great,I have a grass cutter and cut most of the grass with that but apparently the previous owners of our house used to cultivate the whole of the back garden and planted potatoesand sugar beet !! ! ! .We´ve tried to even out the ground but at the end of the garden it´s like a "tankadrome" so the strimmer is great for that.We also have molehills from time to time.
Sounds like you have alot of work to do on your house but it´s maybe a good idea to do one floor at a time.

Your Mum is just great at 87 happily flying.My Dad has had a few health problems so I don´t know if he will come over this year as he seems to be bouncing between Dr appointments at the moment.He´s just had a stone cleared from his bile duct but apparently he has more gall stones.We don´t think that they will operate unless the stones start to shift but I said that I will go and stay with him if he needs an op.I have two sisters who have rallied round when Dad has had something done so it´s only fair from me to do "my bit"
For now enjoy the Spring weather ,
Gail.
Old Jun 2nd 2016, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

motyl is an unknown quantity at this point

Ahoj Chris,

Hope all is well with you and your family and that Matěj is feeling more "at home "with you now.

I have a question for you.When your Mum flies over does she have to pay high insurance ? The reason I´m asking is that my Dad said that over a certain age flight companies ask for insurance and he´d heard that it could be quite expensive,so I told him that I´d ask you. He´s still eager to come but today he will go for his pre-op checkup then he´ll pnone me with a definate op date,so I should be flying to England within a few weeks.However I would be grateful if you could let me know about the insurance info.

I bet you´re busy cutting grass.My strimmer decided to "die" on me so I have to take it back today ! ! !

For now best wishes Gail.
Old Jun 2nd 2016, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

Cihadlo is an unknown quantity at this point

Ahoj Gail!

My mother has only just left after having a great week with us.

She did tell me about the insurance. It was done through SAGA and cost her about £80 for the week - of course they ask lots of questions about health! She doesn't have any great health problems to confess to apart from treated blood pressure and so it was probably at the cheaper end of the range for an 87 year old.

Even with insurance, your dad will still need to get an EHIC card - mother's was out of date but she telephoned the office in Newcastle and received a new one in four days.

Anyway, I am very pleased to hear that your Dad is seriously considering a visit!

Chris

PS And yes, grass cutting is a major preoccupation at the moment! The last three days have been wet and I'm getting a bit desperate for a dry day before it get out of control.