Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Advice on Bucharest

Advice on Bucharest

Old Mar 21st 2014, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

Azarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud of
Default Re: Advice on Bucharest

Hi Chris,

Glad you're enjoying the experience so far!

I'm not sure about renting a place above a shop/bar in Lipscani. The buildings there are quite old, there maybe be issues with other tenants, and perhaps once you settle in the noise from the clubs and streets bars in the summer could get on your nerves. If they sort of thing doesn't bother you, they there's no harm in taking a lot at a few places. If I remember correctly, a couple of buildings in the area were renovated, or were going to be renovated, into decent apartments.

One issue you might be wary of when renting in a smaller block is that if you get a couple of dodgy occupants who refuse to pay the communal bills, you may get a situation where utilities are cut off. For example, there are a couple of people in my block who owe several months in utilities. However, with 50 flats in the block, the cash flow is enough to keep the utilities flowing. However, if it's a smaller block, 4-5 flats say, and a couple of people don't want to pay, then it can get unpleasant. Obviously, if it's one of the newer upmarket builds with slightly higher rents and professional owners/renters, then you're less likely to encounter this.

Don't know about accountants, I've never used one, but you might try contacting Dean at Moorcroft Services. I've never used them, but I've heard they're alright from other people in the past, and they offer accounting services. No idea how their prices are, but if it's just simple employee tax returns then it's probably not much.

For the expat scene, you could try the 'meet-up' websites. There are a couple for Bucharest. I don't know if they are still active, but they used to organise nights out with a mixture of expats from various countries and Romanians. They also have a forum where people look for sports partners or whatever. One guy I remember was trying to set up a regular football match and another was doing badminton. If the sound of leather against willow is your thing, you could join the Transylvanian Cricket Club. Mojo in the old town also used to be a bit of an expat hang-out (it is/was British owned).
Old Mar 26th 2014, 9:55 pm
Just Joined

Marshc46 is an unknown quantity at this point

I Azarel, thanks very much again for the time you've taken and apologies for the delay in responding. My new job has started and kept me occupied! I think I've got a better sense of my bearings now, and I've been able to read back through your previous advice and appreciate it more. Basically, at this point I think your advice about being close to the blue line makes sense for me. I am working at Piazza Victoria and I have realised that if you live downtown, say near Cismigiu park which I thought might be quite nice, then it is not easy to access Piazza Victoria - a longish but pleasant walk - when the sun is shining but not what you would want to do every day. I think also you are right about living in the very centre, say near university square, but maybe around Uniiri would be ok as a downtown option? One complication/requirement for me is that I really want to close to a gym - I've figured there is a world class gym more or less on Piazza Victorie so that is good as I can go after work easy enough and if I live on blue line it should also be ok at weekends.
The other option I have come to is whether in fact I am better looking at Herestrau and the area around the park, which might offer a better quality environment, but still not bad access to downtown. I've got some time at the weekend to explore a bit myself, but any further advice is welcome...

By the way, still enjoying Bucharest - nice place with fantastic restaurants and you certainly cant quibble at the prices!

Thanks again

Regards

Chris
Old Mar 29th 2014, 5:57 am
Forum Regular

Azarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud of

You're right, at the moment with lovely spring days and a cooling breeze, a walk from somewhere like Cismigiu up to Victoriei is a pleasant experience, especially as it's a new one for you, but in the more extreme weather conditions it might be less enjoyable. 40 degree sun beating down on you - who wants to turn up at the office already sweaty? Or in the winter when the pavements are covered with several feet of snow? Suddenly it turns into a real shag.

Around Herastrau might be nice. Transport is pretty quick here anyway. I live further out of the centre, near Iancului, but I can still be in the old town in about 30-40 mins, or in Herastrau Park in about the same time.
Old Apr 6th 2014, 9:06 pm
Just Joined

Cersei is an unknown quantity at this point

I am new to this forum, so hello to everybody!

I have a question about the meet-ups i have read on this forum, has anyone been to any of them? How is it? I am Romanian, and i lived in London a bit, and what i miss most from London is interacting with people from other parts of the world ( and London has a lot to offer from this point of view) but on the other hand i feel a bit awkward to go to these meet-ups because i fear i will be seen as a "Romanian bimbo trying to hook up with a rich foreign guy", when i actually just want to make some friends and brag about my country.
Old Apr 11th 2014, 11:39 am
Just Joined

RRS803 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just thought I would update this thread. We ended up being in the hotel longer than thought due to terms and conditions on our apartment getting sorted out between companies. Finally moved in on Wednesday after our air shipment arrived with the essentials and our main shipment arrives on Monday.

Thankfully most people speak good English. I did my first supermarket food shop which took two hours even with by translation book!!! Hopefully won't take so long next time.

Husband's registration certificate was done in record time. I still have to do mine as I took a quick trip home to UK while waiting on our lease to get sorted out.

Up and running with wifi 30 minutes after we moved into apartment, very impressed. Still waiting on our satellite receiver box so we just have the basic tv package at the moment. Thank goodness for VPN.

Have rented a car for the meantime until we get settled then will start having a look round the garages.

Loving the weather one day it's sunny and 24 degrees the next it's pouring rain and 8 degrees. Such a nice change to the Middle East sun and hot every day which I have been used to for the last 10 years. All in all everything has went smoothly and we are really enjoying being here in Bucharest and looking forward to being able to venture further out once we get settled.
Old Apr 14th 2014, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

Sounds like you're settling in nicely!