Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Belgian naturalization of non-resident possible?

Belgian naturalization of non-resident possible?

Old Jun 10th 2008, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

jgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nice
Default Naturalization of non-resident possible in Belgium?

Suppose a non-resident expatriate enters Belgium for employment. Would it still be possible to acquire citizenship after 3 years?

What forms of proof can be used to demonstrate that someone has been a resident for 3 years?

Last edited by jgombos; Jun 10th 2008 at 6:42 pm.
Old Jun 12th 2008, 11:49 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Naturalization of non-resident possible in Belgium?

Originally Posted by jgombos
Suppose a non-resident expatriate enters Belgium for employment. Would it still be possible to acquire citizenship after 3 years?

What forms of proof can be used to demonstrate that someone has been a resident for 3 years?

Well I know our neighbour who is to all intents and purposes Spanish because he was born in Galicia, but in fact he is a Belgian citizen now because he "converted" some years ago. Apparantly it made it a lot easier for him to get divorced.

Dont they have residency certificates in Belgium like they do here on Spain?
Old Jun 12th 2008, 8:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Belgian naturalization of non-resident possible?

Well :
the usual would be to register with the Municipality ( commune ) where you reside , get a residence card ( valid for up to 1 year ) , then re-register , get another card ( valid for 5 years ) , inside which time one could apply for citizenship , I'm lead to believe ;
this also implies regular tax returns , certain fixed taxation , social/medical contributions, accountants and/or lawyers ( especially for non-EU-candidates ) ;
is that what you think you want ?
Why would Belgium grant a citizenship to a non-resident ( unless your name is Nelson Mandela , Gorbatchew , Raoul Castro , Robert Mugabe or any of the similar suspects ) ???
Old Jun 13th 2008, 2:37 am
Forum Regular

jgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ray51
Well :
the usual would be to register with the Municipality ( commune ) where you reside , get a residence card ( valid for up to 1 year ) , then re-register , get another card ( valid for 5 years ) , inside which time one could apply for citizenship , I'm lead to believe ;
From what I understand, it is in fact a legal requirement that anyone entering Belgium to work acquire a residence ID card right away. So I know I'll have that card. The question is whether this is adequate for naturalization.
this also implies regular tax returns , certain fixed taxation , social/medical contributions, accountants and/or lawyers ( especially for non-EU-candidates ) ;
is that what you think you want ?
Even though I will have a residence ID card, I will also have a work permit. Having a work permit is what defines my status as a non-resident expatriate for tax purposes. Having that tax status is an advantage, because it enables a tax-free allowance for living expenses. Yet simultaneously, I believe I'll have a residence ID card and will be living there with the non resident status
Why would Belgium grant a citizenship to a non-resident ( unless your name is Nelson Mandela , Gorbatchew , Raoul Castro , Robert Mugabe or any of the similar suspects ) ???
In the US, someone can be a "resident" in one context, and not another. It can get so complicated here, that I've heard of a European who was a resident for the purpose of filing a US state tax return, but was a non-resident for the purpose of filing a US federal tax return. So the definition of resident will even vary from one states revenue service to the next.

I'm not sure if the term takes a different meaning from one context to the next in the case within Belgium. Ideally, I would be a non-resident with respect to taxation, and a resident with respect to naturalization. Ultimately that is my question.
Old Jun 13th 2008, 2:51 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.diplomatie.be/en/services...p?TEXTID=42519

But you should check whether there is an additional policy that requires permanent resident status.