Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

shipping a jap bike overseas, to Belgium

shipping a jap bike overseas, to Belgium

Old Jun 14th 2008, 11:13 pm
Forum Regular

jgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nice
Default shipping a jap bike overseas, to Belgium

I looked at the used motorcycle market on the Brussels craigslist, and it was nearly non-existent.

Just wondering if folks tend to ship their motorcycles to Europe, or sell then buy.

I suspect it's not too expensive for the shipping itself, since it seems to be common for tourists to ship their bikes overseas (round trip) just to go on a couple week ride. The cost I'm not sure about is the legalization. An 800 cc sportsbike sold in the US may not meet the European emissions requirement. What will that cost to fix?

Also, what's the resale value of Japanese crotch rockets in Belgium, roughly, compared to the US?

Last edited by jgombos; Jun 14th 2008 at 11:26 pm.
Old Jun 15th 2008, 9:56 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: shipping a jap bike overseas, to Belgium

Why do you want to go through the pain of importing a bike if you think you will have to change things? Pay import duties fill in a lot of paperwork, officaldom etc etc.
Craigslist list is not a good place to search for items for sale by locals.
Here are a few examples of listing websites
http://www.kijiji.be/
http://www.kapaza.be/Motoren/
http://www.2dehands.be/
http://www.macromarkt.be/

Of course you can just visit the local dealer for a second-hand or new bike.
Old Jun 15th 2008, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

jgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nice

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
Why do you want to go through the pain of importing a bike if you think you will have to change things? Pay import duties fill in a lot of paperwork, officaldom etc etc.
Thanks for the information; it was quite helpful. I noticed the same model bike I have on kapaza.be for ~5200 euros, with ~30+k miles on it. I bought mine in the US with 600 miles on it for $8k USD (about the same price, but 30k less miles). So it may actually be cheaper to bring my bike - depending on the cost of legalizing it.

Last edited by jgombos; Jun 15th 2008 at 6:54 pm.
Old Jun 15th 2008, 11:22 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Are you getting miles and Km mixed up? 30k kms is about 18.6k English miles ( Is there a difference between English and American miles?)
But as we said it is not only cost it the effort and uncertainty, And you will be without a bike for at least 6 weeks for transport plus you will not be able to use it before it has cleared customs and been re-registered.
Good luck with the importation.
Old Jun 16th 2008, 1:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
Are you getting miles and Km mixed up? 30k kms is about 18.6k English miles ( Is there a difference between English and American miles?)
The ad said the bike in Brussels had 50k Km.

I'm not sure yet if it makes sense to move the bike.. I was just hoping to hear from someone who has done it, and could offer a real figure on what the expense was in legalizing the bike.

Last edited by jgombos; Jun 16th 2008 at 1:33 am.