Where to start?

Old Nov 1st 2013, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

roberta1980 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to start?

My husband is a spark and we are considering a move to Oz, possibly next year. We are just looking into the process at the moment, however a bit baffled with the Australian electrical qualifications. As far as I understand he will have to complete further training in Australia to be recognised as a qualified electrician, how long does this take and can he start the process before we leave? Any info on this is appreciated, as I said, we are a bit baffled haha.
Old Nov 1st 2013, 11:57 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to start?

Originally Posted by roberta1980
My husband is a spark and we are considering a move to Oz, possibly next year. We are just looking into the process at the moment, however a bit baffled with the Australian electrical qualifications. As far as I understand he will have to complete further training in Australia to be recognised as a qualified electrician, how long does this take and can he start the process before we leave? Any info on this is appreciated, as I said, we are a bit baffled haha.
Hi Roberta

If you pass the skills assessment for migration, you will then have to complete gap training including a period of supervised employment in Australia of an estimated 12 months to gain a full A class license. The assessing body for skills assessments is Trade Recognition Australia (or TRA) although for the UK and some other countries they are carried out by a Recognised Training Organisation (RTO) which are either Vetassess, Victoria University or Future Skills. Vetassess is probably the widest known. I'm not aware of any companies that can legitimately conduct any part of the gap training in the UK - and as each state has it's own licensing body, it would be difficult to cater to.

All of this also assumes that you could pass a points test for a skilled visa - info here - http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/1119.pdf
Old Nov 1st 2013, 12:24 pm
Forum Regular

roberta1980 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Hi Roberta

If you pass the skills assessment for migration, you will then have to complete gap training including a period of supervised employment in Australia of an estimated 12 months to gain a full A class license. The assessing body for skills assessments is Trade Recognition Australia (or TRA) although for the UK and some other countries they are carried out by a Recognised Training Organisation (RTO) which are either Vetassess, Victoria University or Future Skills. Vetassess is probably the widest known. I'm not aware of any companies that can legitimately conduct any part of the gap training in the UK - and as each state has it's own licensing body, it would be difficult to cater to.

All of this also assumes that you could pass a points test for a skilled visa - info here - http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/1119.pdf

Good info old.sparkels, thanks, do you have any idea if the expected salary in the gap training year?
Old Nov 1st 2013, 11:48 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roberta1980
Good info old.sparkels, thanks, do you have any idea if the expected salary in the gap training year?
Really depends where you can get taken on. I'll send you a pm