Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

What's my best way to start applying?

What's my best way to start applying?

Old Jan 10th 2011, 4:47 am
Forum Regular

808shaun808 is just really nice808shaun808 is just really nice808shaun808 is just really nice808shaun808 is just really nice808shaun808 is just really nice808shaun808 is just really nice808shaun808 is just really nice808shaun808 is just really nice808shaun808 is just really nice808shaun808 is just really nice808shaun808 is just really nice
Default What's my best way to start applying?

Hi All
I need a little input into how to go about applying for permanent residency into Oz. Im an Electrician in the UK have been for 17 Years. Ive got C&G elec Ins, 2391, solar install cert, CompEX 1-4 Cert, working at hights,BTEC building services national cert and have been the qualified supervisor for my company for the last 10 years.PHEWW my down side is im 41 and can only get 100 points which i belive means i need to get a sponsor.
Im married and have 3 kids we have just got back from Oz and want to take the plunge.
From what ive read this does not seem to be as straight forward as i thought it might be, does any body have any advise for me as to the best way to progress.
Many thanks
ps its good to see guys have made the jump and are loving it
Old Jan 10th 2011, 10:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was a Londoner in Edinburgh... was a Jockney, now in Brisbane....I'm an ocker cockney
derren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud of
Default Re: What's my best way to start applying?

Originally Posted by 808shaun808
Hi All
I need a little input into how to go about applying for permanent residency into Oz. Im an Electrician in the UK have been for 17 Years. Ive got C&G elec Ins, 2391, solar install cert, CompEX 1-4 Cert, working at hights,BTEC building services national cert and have been the qualified supervisor for my company for the last 10 years.PHEWW my down side is im 41 and can only get 100 points which i belive means i need to get a sponsor.
Im married and have 3 kids we have just got back from Oz and want to take the plunge.
From what ive read this does not seem to be as straight forward as i thought it might be, does any body have any advise for me as to the best way to progress.
Many thanks
ps its good to see guys have made the jump and are loving it
Hi there,
I would imagine that getting a sponsorship from the UK are fairly slim.Your impressive list of qualifications will mean nowt to an average AUS electrical firm. If you haven't got an AUS licence they won't be interested.
I would definitely consult a migration agent and get the ball rolling now. It can take a good few years to process applications for Electricians from lodgement, and lodgement itself could take a while.
Does your wife work. She doesn't happen to be a nurse or some other qualified professional does she?
Sorry can't be of more help.
Regards Derren
Old Jan 10th 2011, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

808shaun808 is just really nice808shaun808 is just really nice808shaun808 is just really nice808shaun808 is just really nice808shaun808 is just really nice808shaun808 is just really nice808shaun808 is just really nice808shaun808 is just really nice808shaun808 is just really nice808shaun808 is just really nice808shaun808 is just really nice
Default Re: What's my best way to start applying?

Originally Posted by derren7
Hi there,
I would imagine that getting a sponsorship from the UK are fairly slim.Your impressive list of qualifications will mean nowt to an average AUS electrical firm. If you haven't got an AUS licence they won't be interested.
I would definitely consult a migration agent and get the ball rolling now. It can take a good few years to process applications for Electricians from lodgement, and lodgement itself could take a while.
Does your wife work. She doesn't happen to be a nurse or some other qualified professional does she?
Sorry can't be of more help.
Regards Derren
Hi Derren
Thanks for the reply, 'A good few years to get a lodgement' OMG that doesn't sound to promising. my wife works for a accountant but has no qualifications unfortunately. This does not look to promising but I will find an agent and have a chat with them.
Thanks Derren