Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

what do I need to do to get my Electrician ARTC

what do I need to do to get my Electrician ARTC

Old May 1st 2014, 1:44 pm
Just Joined

ThomasR is an unknown quantity at this point
Default what do I need to do to get my Electrician ARTC

I have applied twice for me ATRC and been refused. I have 8 years experience I completed phases 1 to 4 in FAS but haven't completed the last phase in ireland . I completed and passed the rules and regulations course in adelaide 8 months ago . Im living in WA now and really would love any help or feedback anyone has to help me thanks a million
Old May 1st 2014, 11:26 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what do I need to do to get my Electrician ATRC

Originally Posted by ThomasR
I have applied twice for me ATRC and been refused. I have 8 years experience I completed phases 1 to 4 in FAS but haven't completed the last phase in ireland . I completed and passed the rules and regulations course in adelaide 8 months ago . Im living in WA now and really would love any help or feedback anyone has to help me thanks a million
Have you considered approaching a local TAFE / Training group for an RPL approach (RPL = recognition of prior learning). What is FAS?

I was told I wouldn't get an ARTC as my apprentice papers were issued by British Steel and EETPU, and I also do not have AM2 but I have part ONC, HNC, indentures and 20 yrs experience.
Old May 2nd 2014, 6:28 am
Just Joined

peter123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Another ARTC nightmare, just shows how incompetent these idiots are.

Late last year I got the same letter as you, (after 4months and paying1000$ ), stating not qualified as an electrician, better option is to contact a local rto or tafe. Mind you that I got into oz on a skilled migrant visa as an electrician, and was assessed by TRA.

I went to a local RTO and was quoted anywhere between 10 and 30grand to get my cert 3 in electro technology and shouldn't take me more then a few weeks to complete, looked like a rip off to me.

Anyway, what I would suggest is actually send your quals and experience to New Zealand to the EWRB, takes 2weeks to get assessed and cost you somewhere around 300$. Then fly out there do the wiring regs there with an exam on the Saturday, week after that you do a practical assessment and a cpr/safe testing course, about 2months later you will receive your NZ electricians licence and transfer it to any state you want or work in QLD with the NZ licence. The only issue is that they only do the regs exam in June and November.

I think this potentially could even be done without a visa, for new sparks to make a start in Oz or NZ this might be an option or if you get stuck with your vetassess gap training if you time things right.

Thats the way I went, and am currently licenced in QLD, WA and NSW.

Didnt even bother with re-applying fro my ARTC and spend another 1000 and 4 months waiting.

Interesting detail in the whole story, the EWRB assessment guidelines are based on the ARTC guidelines, where the ARTC committee didn't grant me the certs, the EWRB accepted everything in less then 2weeks time...
Old May 2nd 2014, 9:51 am
Just Joined

That atrc is a bit of a joke I rang them before I did the course in adelaide and explained my story and they said I should have no problem getting a cert for the second time I went trough a agency and all d paper work was perfect and they got back to me saying 1 of my resumes was fake which it wasent .with my course I did in adelaide is the artc cert the only way I can get my liscence with that
Old May 2nd 2014, 10:02 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ThomasR
That atrc is a bit of a joke I rang them before I did the course in adelaide and explained my story and they said I should have no problem getting a cert for the second time I went trough a agency and all d paper work was perfect and they got back to me saying 1 of my resumes was fake which it wasent .with my course I did in adelaide is the artc cert the only way I can get my liscence with that
You can try the NZ approach - something I've considered.
Old May 2nd 2014, 10:05 am
Just Joined

Ya cheers peter I'll have a look into that is there much involved in that course in nz
Old May 2nd 2014, 10:49 pm
Just Joined

I did the same as you, peer wiring regs thinking that the ARTC would be granted without a problem.
In NZ the wiring regs are pretty much the same, there will be some questions on the NZ electricity act and NZ electricity safety regs you can find some past exam questions here: http://www.ewrb.govt.nz/training-and...s/past-papers/
The exam is on a saturday morning and you have 3hrs to complete. Passmark is 60%.
In the practical I had to do DOL, DOL reverse, star delta, universal motor, motor testing, testing of a 1phase and 3phase installation, testing of appliances, rcd testing, isolation transformer testing, discharge lighting circuit and then build a commercial board which included a main switchoard, control panel, indication lights, remote control, e-stop, 3phase socket outlet, 1phase socket outlet, 2way switch and 3 light points.
If you have done a mix of domestic, commercial and industrial this will be very easy, you have 5days to complete, I walked out Wednesday lunchtime some will need the full 5days...
Teachers are very helpful and you can help each other, you would only fail if you are not a real sparky.

I did mine with ETCO in Wellington.
Old May 12th 2014, 12:06 am
Just Joined

Craigo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Peter, sounds like the way to go, how much did the course cost in NZ?

Also i notice on Etco's website it says you must be resident, was that the case when you completed the course? Were you based in Oz at the time?

Last edited by Craigo; May 12th 2014 at 12:24 am.
Old May 12th 2014, 1:22 am
Just Joined

Wiring regs+ exam+practical+ safe testing/cpr was about 1700NZ$, trades assessment and licence application was about 300 each.
I got my PR in oz which entitles you to work and live in NZ, they never asked for any visa or passport details, I did mine in November last year so pretty sure nothing has changed since then, if in doubt just give them a call they are very helpful.
Old May 12th 2014, 7:36 am
Just Joined

Thanks Peter,

Sounds like a quicker/better route to obtaining the license
Old May 12th 2014, 10:41 am
Just Joined

Cheers for the help peter I'm sending my stuff in there 2morw just a few questions which 1 of these am I looking for Regastation certificate /regastation only or practicing liscence and did u give address in oz or nz and after I get that back I book in for a course is it cheers peter
Old May 12th 2014, 9:52 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: what do I need to do to get my Electrician ARTC

Registration only, I used my address in Australia, they even send my licence to oz.
You probably hear back from them in 2-3weeks time, with a bit of luck you can do your exams in June and get licenced in oz in July, which will make this actually quicker then re-applying for your ARTC.
Old May 19th 2014, 12:09 pm
Just Joined

Hi Peter,

On the application form for the ewrb its asking about safe working practises, first aid, testing etc, is that when you completed it as part of your apprenticeship or did you do any courses before you went to new zealand or do they include these as part of the process?

Cheers
Old May 19th 2014, 10:34 pm
Just Joined

This is a separate course, ETCO does them either just before of after the practical or regs.
Or have a look here http://www.ewrb.govt.nz/assets/EWRB/...ctober2012.pdf
Most providers will refer to them as a refresher course and takes about 4hrs, but this will do for your licence, cost is about 100NZ$.
Old May 20th 2014, 12:12 am
Just Joined

Hi Peter

What i meant was if those certificates are not in date does the EWRB just add them to the things you have to do for the license i.e. Regs, practical etc? And is the white card classed as safe working practise over here?

Cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.