Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

WA Electrical Mechanic Certificate in 4 months, so easy.

WA Electrical Mechanic Certificate in 4 months, so easy.

Old Aug 8th 2010, 1:26 pm
yorkshire born & bred

warren thomas is a name known to allwarren thomas is a name known to allwarren thomas is a name known to allwarren thomas is a name known to allwarren thomas is a name known to allwarren thomas is a name known to allwarren thomas is a name known to allwarren thomas is a name known to allwarren thomas is a name known to allwarren thomas is a name known to allwarren thomas is a name known to all
Default Re: WA Electrical Mechanic Certificate in 4 months, so easy.

most people book there coarse and come over for a holiday to do it, or when they first arrive/migrate. you car'nt do it from england, although i think there is plan's to in the future,
there's a lot of big miming projects kicking off in the next 12 months or so, i was with a engineer last week who said they needed 200 sparks over the next 2 years.
the paper's are also full with jobs,
i was mainly commercial in the uk, supermarket ect, i worked at manchester airport for the last 2 years,
now i do lots of industrial out here, it does'nt take long to get your head round it.
my advice would be strike while the irons hot pal, or you'll just put it off forever, PR since 2007, come on lad make the move, i was down to my last $100 at one point, but survived,
good luck,
warren

Originally Posted by duncanross80
Hi Warren
Thanks for the reply.
It states in my approval letter that my ARTC was assessed by the WA trades comitee so I wasnt sure if it was specific to WA. But yeah it is valid nationwide so all good in that respect.
Im not in Oz yet but I have had my PR visa since 2007. I went over to validate my visa in 2008 but had to come back because I couldnt sell my house. I will be moving to Greenwood in Perth next year. I was under the impression that Peer was the quickest and easiest way to pass the wiring regs and then get your SA licence and then transfer it to a WA licence, but I suppose when you take into consideration the cost of flights and hotel to do it at Peer it might be worth doing the course in Perth? Can you or anyone else shed a little more light on this as I was going to do the peer course/workbook via the UK but not sure now.
I am glad to hear there is plenty of work and I cant wait to get there now. I work on large commercial projects in the UK but I am hoping to find work in the mines or on gorgon and get some money behind me. I will have to do a couple of courses to get my foot in the door and have some in mind. Have you or anyone you know made the transition from commercial to industrial?
Old Aug 8th 2010, 1:49 pm
Account Closed

Frazer56754 is an unknown quantity at this point

LOL I know 2007 is a long time ago. I met a girl and got married since then so that threw a spanner in the works What the f was I thinking, I always said I would never get married! I'll be there may next year got a few things to do before I make the full leap. Ive just got on a decent job in th UK at the mo so gives me a chance to save a few quid as I havent got a pot to piss in at the mo. Thanks for yor help mate much appreciated
Old Aug 9th 2010, 11:07 am
Just Joined

Andi1985 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys

reckon this is the correct topic to post my question and hopefully someone of u can help me .
I am already applied for an ARTC (i am here with an WHV) and i should get it soon. I am study for the peer course here in SA (correspondend) and should get the wiring-certification within the next 2 weeks.
But i wanna move to WA and work there.
Is it easy to transfer an electrician license from SA to WA, how long does it takes and can i do this already here in SA per internet? Would like to prepare everything before i arrive in perth that i can directly start. Do i need an SA license at all or can i apply for an WA-license just with my ARTC and my wiring-course-certification? I won´t work here in SA at all and though i don´t need an SA-license and could safe the money for this.

Hope one of u can help me .
Old Aug 12th 2010, 11:48 am
yorkshire born & bred

warren thomas is a name known to allwarren thomas is a name known to allwarren thomas is a name known to allwarren thomas is a name known to allwarren thomas is a name known to allwarren thomas is a name known to allwarren thomas is a name known to allwarren thomas is a name known to allwarren thomas is a name known to allwarren thomas is a name known to allwarren thomas is a name known to all

hi pal,
not sure, I'd email http://www.docep.wa.gov.au/EnergySaf...kers/index.htm
and ask them, there very helpful,
the teachers were you are doing your wiring certification should be able to tell you?? someone on here most of done it?
Warren

Originally Posted by Andi1985
Hi guys

reckon this is the correct topic to post my question and hopefully someone of u can help me .
I am already applied for an ARTC (i am here with an WHV) and i should get it soon. I am study for the peer course here in SA (correspondend) and should get the wiring-certification within the next 2 weeks.
But i wanna move to WA and work there.
Is it easy to transfer an electrician license from SA to WA, how long does it takes and can i do this already here in SA per internet? Would like to prepare everything before i arrive in perth that i can directly start. Do i need an SA license at all or can i apply for an WA-license just with my ARTC and my wiring-course-certification? I won´t work here in SA at all and though i don´t need an SA-license and could safe the money for this.

Hope one of u can help me .
Old Aug 12th 2010, 12:08 pm
Just Joined

Andi1985 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for ur answer, i´ll call them tomorrow. Got my artc yesterday, now just my wiring-course and i am ready .
I do the peer course correspondent, so no teacher to ask at the moment.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 11:55 pm
Just Joined

Warmapple is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by warren thomas
most people book there coarse and come over for a holiday to do it, or when they first arrive/migrate. you car'nt do it from england, although i think there is plan's to in the future,
there's a lot of big miming projects kicking off in the next 12 months or so, i was with a engineer last week who said they needed 200 sparks over the next 2 years.
the paper's are also full with jobs,
i was mainly commercial in the uk, supermarket ect, i worked at manchester airport for the last 2 years,
now i do lots of industrial out here, it does'nt take long to get your head round it.
my advice would be strike while the irons hot pal, or you'll just put it off forever, PR since 2007, come on lad make the move, i was down to my last $100 at one point, but survived,
good luck,
warren
I feel so much better now! I am down to my last $300 (i can spend another $200 lol) living in Perth waiting for ARTC. Im finding it so hard to get a job. I have been told by an agency no one will touch me because they know I am over qualified and would move on as soon as i become licensed!!

I'm about to go out on the streets again armed with my CV (again) hoping I will come back with a job today!!!

Ian
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 7:43 pm
Just Joined

larchinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

great post mate
Hi all,

These are the step i took to get my WA Electrical Mechanic Licence,
My wife's a nurse so i already had my 457visa (the hard part)

1, 1st sep 2009 applied for a ARTC (from england). http://www.deewr.gov.au/Skills/Progr...owToApply.aspx payed $300 as a fitter, (wrong!! always apply for mechanic) but i did'nt know at the time, anyway they classed me as a Mechanic as all i used to do in England was installation not fix/breakdown stuff.
you need a Australian address for ARTC so i used my cousin's who live's in Perth. cheeky eh!!
22 oct 2009 received my received my Australian Recognized Trade Certificate though the post, brill!!

2, 6th nov 2009, emailed energy safe to apply for my licence,
http://www.docep.wa.gov.au/EnergySaf...kers/index.htm
payed a application fee $38, posted them a copy of my ARTC, they told me that i needed to complete a two week coarse ETL at college of electrical training Balcatta, http://www.cet.asn.au/home.aspx, before they could issue a licence.

3, 9th nov 2009, emailed cet (collage of electrical training) about ETL course,
http://www.cet.asn.au/home.aspx
energy safe had already contacted them and passed on my details (i was impressed) payed the course fee's $860, they booked me in on the course date's 7th-18th dec full time 40hour per week, great course great teachers too, passed with flying colours (you'd need to be a idiot to fail).

4, 21st dec 2009, rang energy safe ((08)94225282) payed for my licence $335, they'd received results from the college,
29th dec 2009 received my licence though the post!!!! yippee

yes it was that easy. thank's to steve'o for help along the way,

if i can do it, SO CAN YOU!!!!

good luck everyone,

Warren.
ps, happy as a pig in shit!!
Old Oct 9th 2010, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

Jamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really nice

Hi Warren,

-That is good to hear! -I came out here (also from Yorkshire!) 5 years ago now and It would've taken me probably a year from start to finish to get my 'A' Grade license. -Saying that, it was right in the middle of the 'boom' of the time, and they would have been flooded with applications!

It is good to hear that things are a bit more streamlined now, -one thing I noticed in one of your posts is that you said if you were classified as a Fitter, that you could not work unsupervised -are you sure this is the case? -I thought the only restriction was that you would be permitted to undertake electrical fitting work only? (still all a bit funny to me, as when I was trained, you were a sparky, and you did all manner of electrical work).

Anyways, good to hear that they've fine-tuned the licensing side of things now.

All the best mate,

J
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 10:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was a Londoner in Edinburgh... was a Jockney, now in Brisbane....I'm an ocker cockney
derren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud of

Hi all,

1, 1st sep 2009 applied for a ARTC (from england). http://www.deewr.gov.au/Skills/Progr...owToApply.aspx payed $300 as a fitter, (wrong!! always apply for mechanic) but i did'nt know at the time, anyway they classed me as a Mechanic as all i used to do in England was installation not fix/breakdown stuff.
you need a Australian address for ARTC so i used my cousin's who live's in Perth. cheeky eh!!
22 oct 2009 received my received my Australian Recognized Trade Certificate though the post, brill!!

payed a application fee $38, posted them a copy of my ARTC, they told me that i needed to complete a two week coarse ETL at college of electrical training Balcatta, http://www.cet.asn.au/home.aspx, before they could issue a licence.

energy safe had already contacted them and passed on my details (i was impressed) payed the course fee's $860, they booked me in on the course date's 7th-18th dec full time 40hour per week, great course great teachers too, passed with flying colours (you'd need to be a idiot to fail).

4, 21st dec 2009, rang energy safe ((08)94225282) payed for my licence $335, they'd received results from the college,

good luck everyone,

Warren.
bump up
Old Nov 13th 2010, 11:01 am
Forum Regular

r10ley is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone I know its been a long time since this thread was started but hope someone can help. Basically im in the same situation, my patner is a midwife and she can eaily obtain a 457 visa threw her job. However once in Oz on this visa what is the process for then applying for PR. Is it easier for her to get a 175 skilled migrant visa prior to moving out and is this 175 classed as PR? Also if my partner is on a 175 visa am I able to be a defacto on this?

Thanks for your help

r10ley
Old Jan 7th 2011, 5:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was a Londoner in Edinburgh... was a Jockney, now in Brisbane....I'm an ocker cockney
derren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud of

Hi all,

good luck everyone,

Warren.
Bump up this thread
Old Jan 7th 2011, 7:17 am
yorkshire born & bred

Hi Darren,
What does bump up mean?

L10ley, we came over on a 457, then a sponsored PR once here, the quickest way by far, but if you got time on your hands, PR straight away, you can de facto on both.

Originally Posted by derren7
Bump up this thread
Old Jan 7th 2011, 9:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi Darren,
What does bump up mean?

L10ley, we came over on a 457, then a sponsored PR once here, the quickest way by far, but if you got time on your hands, PR straight away, you can de facto on both.
Hi Warren,
Just posting on the thread to 'bump it up' to the top of the forum so it can be more easily seen. Have advised quite a few to read your post as it is very helpful and informative.
Whilst you 're about you may be able to help. Someone was asking me about ID required for the Energy Safety Application pack. Seemingly, they need 100 points to prove ID and they were wondering if you could use a utility bill with a UK address. Could you advise?
Cheers Derren
Old Jan 7th 2011, 6:44 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by derren7
Hi Warren,
Just posting on the thread to 'bump it up' to the top of the forum so it can be more easily seen. Have advised quite a few to read your post as it is very helpful and informative.
Whilst you 're about you may be able to help. Someone was asking me about ID required for the Energy Safety Application pack. Seemingly, they need 100 points to prove ID and they were wondering if you could use a utility bill with a UK address. Could you advise?
Cheers Derren
http://www.money3.com.au/pdf/Money3_100Points.pdf
Old Jan 7th 2011, 7:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cheers Steve,
Right on the button as we've all come to expect from you. I can , once again, bask in your reflected glory.
Regards Derren

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.