Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

vetassess practical assessment: Electrician

vetassess practical assessment: Electrician

Old Nov 3rd 2012, 10:34 am
Just Joined

ryan12 is just really niceryan12 is just really niceryan12 is just really niceryan12 is just really niceryan12 is just really niceryan12 is just really niceryan12 is just really niceryan12 is just really nice
Default vetassess practical assessment: Electrician

I recently completed my Vetassess practical assessment (Electrician general)

The candidate guide Vetassess send, gives you an idea of what to expect, although it is quite vague in places.

I got a more accurate idea of what to expect on the day, from people posting on forums like this. Although some information was misleading, most was very helpful.
So I have decided to repay the favor and share my experience

I'm sure not every assessment is identical, and just because this is what happened in mine doesn't necessarily mean the next assessment will be the same, but i would be surprised if there wasn't comparisons.

Ill start by saying that on the day itself I was a nervous wreck, its a lot of money and nobody wants to fail, but I was put at ease by the friendliness and helpfulness of the assessors. They just want to see you know what you are doing, they are not there to trick you or catch you out, my biggest tip would be just to relax and if you are having trouble with anything just step back and think things through (you have plenty of time so make the most of it)

The day started with the theory exam.
Like many, I hadn't done much on the subject since my days at college.
In the candidate guide they give you a list of things that may come up.In my exam all of those things came up so I would recommend looking into all of them.
I got a copy of the book 'Electrical installation calculations' by A.J Watkins and C.Kitcher, which i found very helpful.

We were then taken to a room with 6 practical bays (The type of bays you would have done your AM2 in).

I was given a drawing with an installation on it. The installation consisted of a small D.B with 2 circuits.
1.A single socket in 20mm pvc conduit, wired as a radial in 2.5mm singles.
2.A two way lighting circuit, which consisted of 1.5mm twin and earth clipped from the board to the baton holder, then 20mm pvc conduit and singles to the first switch box and a double set to the next switch box.

There is also a small section of pipe which you will need to bond using a 6mm earth.

My main piece of advice would be to make sure all your measurements are correct. The drawing clearly states the required measurements for each part of the installation and once you have finished the assessor will check each section with a measuring tape, so make sure everything is correct.
You are only given one piece of conduit as well, so although its only plastic and not hard to bend, if like me you haven't done much pvc conduit it may be worth giving it a practice before the day.

once completed you have to test you installation and record your results.

During the day I was taken off to do two different tasks.

The first was designing a single phase D.O.L starter with a thermal overload. Then installing it using a pin board and leads.
I would strongly recommend researching D.O.L starters because this section seemed to catch a few people out.
I was required to draw a schematic of how i was going to wire it and including the use of the correct symbols for each part.
Its not rocket science but if your not used to motors it can catch you out so well worth looking into.

The second was the safe isolation process.

I was taken to a bay consisting of a D.B, a single socket and a spur feeding an electric heater.

From the single socket there was a plug with a flex and a connector block at the end. This will be used as your known source.
At the end of the vetassess guide there is a 3 page section about the safe isolation process.
You are expected to follow this step by step, just revise it before and perform it on the day, BUT ABOVE ALL JUST USE COMMON SENSE AND KEEP CHECKING YOUR LEADS BEFORE AND AFTER.

The day finished around 4 and we all had a half an hour lunch.

To be honest its a long day, and I was relieved to get it out the way.

Hope this has helped anybody who is taking the exam
Old Nov 3rd 2012, 10:44 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: vetassess practical assessment: Electrician

Hi Ryan and welcome to B.E.

It's all double dutch to me but I'm sure it will be very helpful.

We do get quite a lot of questions about these tests.

Enjoy B.E.
Old Nov 26th 2012, 11:05 am
Just Joined

ms07oka is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for the info ryan, its very helpful.

Did you pass? I am sitting mine in London on the 8th December....what tools did you take with you mate?
Old Nov 27th 2012, 6:54 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ryan12
I recently completed my Vetassess practical assessment (Electrician general)

The candidate guide Vetassess send, gives you an idea of what to expect, although it is quite vague in places.

I got a more accurate idea of what to expect on the day, from people posting on forums like this. Although some information was misleading, most was very helpful.
So I have decided to repay the favor and share my experience

I'm sure not every assessment is identical, and just because this is what happened in mine doesn't necessarily mean the next assessment will be the same, but i would be surprised if there wasn't comparisons.

Ill start by saying that on the day itself I was a nervous wreck, its a lot of money and nobody wants to fail, but I was put at ease by the friendliness and helpfulness of the assessors. They just want to see you know what you are doing, they are not there to trick you or catch you out, my biggest tip would be just to relax and if you are having trouble with anything just step back and think things through (you have plenty of time so make the most of it)

The day started with the theory exam.
Like many, I hadn't done much on the subject since my days at college.
In the candidate guide they give you a list of things that may come up.In my exam all of those things came up so I would recommend looking into all of them.
I got a copy of the book 'Electrical installation calculations' by A.J Watkins and C.Kitcher, which i found very helpful.

We were then taken to a room with 6 practical bays (The type of bays you would have done your AM2 in).

I was given a drawing with an installation on it. The installation consisted of a small D.B with 2 circuits.
1.A single socket in 20mm pvc conduit, wired as a radial in 2.5mm singles.
2.A two way lighting circuit, which consisted of 1.5mm twin and earth clipped from the board to the baton holder, then 20mm pvc conduit and singles to the first switch box and a double set to the next switch box.

There is also a small section of pipe which you will need to bond using a 6mm earth.

My main piece of advice would be to make sure all your measurements are correct. The drawing clearly states the required measurements for each part of the installation and once you have finished the assessor will check each section with a measuring tape, so make sure everything is correct.
You are only given one piece of conduit as well, so although its only plastic and not hard to bend, if like me you haven't done much pvc conduit it may be worth giving it a practice before the day.

once completed you have to test you installation and record your results.

During the day I was taken off to do two different tasks.

The first was designing a single phase D.O.L starter with a thermal overload. Then installing it using a pin board and leads.
I would strongly recommend researching D.O.L starters because this section seemed to catch a few people out.
I was required to draw a schematic of how i was going to wire it and including the use of the correct symbols for each part.
Its not rocket science but if your not used to motors it can catch you out so well worth looking into.

The second was the safe isolation process.

I was taken to a bay consisting of a D.B, a single socket and a spur feeding an electric heater.

From the single socket there was a plug with a flex and a connector block at the end. This will be used as your known source.
At the end of the vetassess guide there is a 3 page section about the safe isolation process.
You are expected to follow this step by step, just revise it before and perform it on the day, BUT ABOVE ALL JUST USE COMMON SENSE AND KEEP CHECKING YOUR LEADS BEFORE AND AFTER.

The day finished around 4 and we all had a half an hour lunch.

To be honest its a long day, and I was relieved to get it out the way.

Hope this has helped anybody who is taking the exam
thanks for your post ryan
Old Dec 2nd 2012, 8:46 pm
Just Joined

martinwferguson is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for posting the info Ryan. I'm travelling down to London from Glasgow to sit my test on 8th December. Any information regarding what tools you must take and what you don't need would be greatly appreciated.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 8:54 am
Just Joined

Sorry guys just doing 2 posts so can send pm's
Old Dec 5th 2012, 8:54 am
Just Joined