Vetassess

Old Dec 3rd 2012, 1:22 am
Just Joined

Paulkav is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Vetassess

Hi

I sat the practical assessment in Perth last Friday at Polytechnic West. Only 3 in the class and it was very laid back. The instructor was sound.

Basically theres was 6 items to complete.

1) Practical installation including a 2 way light circuit, 2 radial socket circuits, cooker circuit and Earthing. Straightforward apprentice stuff. No conduit or clipping. Mount protective devices in a board.

2) Imitation 3 phase transformer. Identify primary/secondary windings and carry out insulation resistance test.

3) resistors pre connected in a box, connected to a DC ammeter and power source. Simple testing and adding of series/parallel resistors.

4)Written test. 18 questions. Ohms law, sine waves, basic power factor, 3 phase power, impedance, resistors in series/parallel.

5)Disconnection/reconnection process. Very relaxed here, more interested in the actual testing for live etc rather than knowing every single step.

6) Motor control. Given all the accessories, contactors etc. You must draw the schematic for DOL start for a 3 phase star connected motor. Then wire with plug in leads as per your drawing. The DOL schematic posted previous is close to this but remember numbers for thermal overload 13, 14, coil etc. Remember coil is A1 A2 single phase 230v. Star connection is on motor plate so follow this when connecting power circuit. You will be given the info of what is expected, you have to design and wire basically.

7) at some stage in the day you will be asked 4-5 verbal questions. Maybe go over testing insulation resistance, earth fault loop impedance etc.

Overall it is easier than I thought, any qualified lad with a bit of study will pass this. Remember too its an assessment not an exam so its more laid back. Follow the pointers that vetassess will send out in your pack!
Old Apr 12th 2013, 2:35 am
Just Joined

NewDad is just really niceNewDad is just really niceNewDad is just really niceNewDad is just really niceNewDad is just really niceNewDad is just really niceNewDad is just really niceNewDad is just really nice

Hi I had the vetassess practical assessment yesterday at Perth Naval base

I was bricking it studying hard etc read through what everyone was saying on here etc.

The trainers were very nice, approachable and friendly as people have said before they're not here to fail you just to see if you're competent.

There is now 25 theory questions this is a new paper only 2 or 3rd time its been used. All the equations you need are on the back page so dont fret too much about remembering them just make sure you know how to use them.
make sure you READ THE QUESTIONS CAREFULLY! on one of the questions it related to resisters in series but the question had asked what was the total voltage running through just the voltage on the first resistor.

It is multiple choice 25 questions, the assessment is broken down into blocks of 5, and the assessor just has to tick a box saying did the candidate get at least 4 correct out of 5 in each block to get a pass.

there is resistors in series, and in parallel. a simple reactance calculation. power out put calculation of a 3 phase motor. simple power factor calculation basically just a percentage question and ohms law.

fill out a JSA on the practical you're about to do

in the practical have to mount a board, one dbl socket, a 2 way light switch and clip 1 length of cable and the rest in conduit. conduit work is 1 dog leg and 2 straights and 1 90° bend the end. hook up to a fake earth stake and water bond. in board you have main switch 2 rcds and 2 mcbs. of that you have to mark it up and test continuity and write down the results same with insulation resistance test.

disconnect and reconnect procedure read the sheet sent to you but basically warn you're on site and going to disconnect, fill out and afix tags test tester test frames not live test tester again.
make sure you test the tester on live source before and after use EACH time.
apparently this used to be videoed but not any more.

you have to draw a simple line diagram of a control circuit 230v start stop thermal overload NO contacts and coil

you then have to wire the circuit assessor checks it and makes sure it works

fault finding mine was on a control circuit, go through it logically test the devices and the cabling they give you the drawing for it so make sure it is wired correctly also they may change the fault on the board.

good luck to anyone about to take i get my results in 9 days, i believe i have passed but not going to count my chickens yet feed back was positive though
Old Apr 12th 2013, 3:42 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NewDad

I was bricking it studying hard etc read through what everyone was saying on here etc.

The trainers were very nice, approachable and friendly as people have said before they're not here to fail you just to see if you're competent.

There is now 25 theory questions this is a new paper only 2 or 3rd time its been used. All the equations you need are on the back page so dont fret too much about remembering them just make sure you know how to use them.
make sure you READ THE QUESTIONS CAREFULLY! on one of the questions it related to resisters in series but the question had asked what was the total voltage running through just the voltage on the first resistor.

It is multiple choice 25 questions, the assessment is broken down into blocks of 5, and the assessor just has to tick a box saying did the candidate get at least 4 correct out of 5 in each block to get a pass.

there is resistors in series, and in parallel. a simple reactance calculation. power out put calculation of a 3 phase motor. simple power factor calculation basically just a percentage question and ohms law.

in the practical have to mount a board, one dbl socket, a 2 way light switch and clip 1 length of cable and the rest in conduit. conduit work is 1 dog leg and 2 straights and 1 90° bend the end. hook up to a fake earth stake and water bond. in board you have main switch 2 rcds and 2 mcbs. of that you have to mark it up and test continuity and write down the results same with insulation resistance test.

disconnect and reconnect procedure read the sheet sent to you but basically warn you're on site and going to disconnect, fill out and afix tags test tester test frames not live test tester again.

you have to draw a simple line diagram of a control circuit 230v start stop thermal overload NO contacts and coil

fault finding mine was on a control circuit, go through it logically test the devices and the cabling they give you the drawing for it so make sure it is wired correctly also they may change the fault on the board.

good luck to anyone about to take i get my results in 9 days, i believe i have passed but not going to count my chickens yet feed back was positive though
thanks for sharing
Old Apr 17th 2013, 6:54 am
Just Joined

thommo237 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey man, keep us posted on how ur test went. Good luck!

What did you use to study? Also what books, tools or that do you need at the test?

Im doing rural work just now to get my second year visa and to save for the test and would really like something to study with to get me refreshed in all the old college stuff. Seems a few folk have been saying its not as hard as its made out but would still like to be ready after forking out nearly $2000 to sit the test! Hopefully hear from you soon man. Cheers
Old Apr 17th 2013, 11:13 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by thommo237
Hey man, keep us posted on how ur test went. Good luck!

What did you use to study? Also what books, tools or that do you need at the test?

Im doing rural work just now to get my second year visa and to save for the test and would really like something to study with to get me refreshed in all the old college stuff. Seems a few folk have been saying its not as hard as its made out but would still like to be ready after forking out nearly $2000 to sit the test! Hopefully hear from you soon man. Cheers
Hows things, in terms of studying if you go over basic AC theory formulas, there are recommended books in previous posts that can be got online or even just google the areas mentioned. On the day you just need your tool kit, no books needed. Its quite laid back, theres a lot of hints in the pack vetassess sent you too
Old Apr 18th 2013, 7:44 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Paulkav
Hows things, in terms of studying if you go over basic AC theory formulas, there are recommended books in previous posts that can be got online or even just google the areas mentioned. On the day you just need your tool kit, no books needed. Its quite laid back, theres a lot of hints in the pack vetassess sent you too
Cheers. Thing is, I've came here with no tools! Do they not give u the basic tools like in the trade test in the uk? I know they're the worst but better than nothing! Wish u could get a walk around the test centre before hand!
Old Apr 18th 2013, 12:19 pm
Just Joined

Cheers. Thing is, I've came here with no tools! Do they not give u the basic tools like in the trade test in the uk? I know they're the worst but better than nothing! Wish u could get a walk around the test centre before hand!
All you need really are hand tools, enough to work at a fuseboard and connect sockets etc. Insulated screwdrivers, pliers, snips, etc etc, prob a voltage tester too with continuity on it. If your stuck in the class one of the other lads will sort you
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 5:17 am
Just Joined

NewDad is just really niceNewDad is just really niceNewDad is just really niceNewDad is just really niceNewDad is just really niceNewDad is just really niceNewDad is just really niceNewDad is just really nice

If you do it at the perth naval base. they can give you tools if you have none.
Its a huge test and training centre for apprentices and military training.

but if you can get and take your own insulated screwdrivers, hammer, snips, pliers, conduit cutter or hacksaw.

logged on to vetassess this morning and says i passed called them and they said i should receive it in the mail within next few days
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 12:21 pm
Just Joined

If you do it at the perth naval base. they can give you tools if you have none.
Its a huge test and training centre for apprentices and military training.

but if you can get and take your own insulated screwdrivers, hammer, snips, pliers, conduit cutter or hacksaw.

logged on to vetassess this morning and says i passed called them and they said i should receive it in the mail within next few days
Congrats man! I'm doing it in Melbourne. Maybe sound like a daft question but, passing it in Melbourne, does that mean I pass with a Victorian ticket? Can't wait to get it over and done with. What was the hardest questions? I've been reading up on resistors, in series, parallel, PFC values...not really sure what else would be in the test...ohms laws etc yeah but been talking to college lecturers and they said the test is solid.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

colinmaclec is an unknown quantity at this point

Congrats man! I'm doing it in Melbourne. Maybe sound like a daft question but, passing it in Melbourne, does that mean I pass with a Victorian ticket? Can't wait to get it over and done with. What was the hardest questions? I've been reading up on resistors, in series, parallel, PFC values...not really sure what else would be in the test...ohms laws etc yeah but been talking to college lecturers and they said the test is solid.
No you get a provisional license then have to do a years gap training i am afraid
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 9:19 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by colinmaclec
No you get a provisional license then have to do a years gap training i am afraid
Yeah but can you do that anywhere in Australia or does it have to be a set state, which in my case, would it just be Victoria?
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 9:28 am
Forum Regular

colinmaclec is an unknown quantity at this point

No you can apply to any state to get your provisional with an OSTR which you get from passing Vetassess
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 10:46 am
Forum Regular

jimcz is an unknown quantity at this point

How does it actually work if you want to transfer your license from one state to another? Do you lose the license of the state you're leaving and only gaining the state's license you're moving to or can you keep both?
Old Apr 24th 2013, 4:40 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimcz
How does it actually work if you want to transfer your license from one state to another? Do you lose the license of the state you're leaving and only gaining the state's license you're moving to or can you keep both?
you keep both,

providing you have a current license you can apply under mutual recognition

for example qld would be
http://www.justice.qld.gov.au/fair-a...al-recognition

Regards Steve
Old Apr 29th 2013, 1:19 am
Just Joined

well its a provisional license with 1000 hours log book
where you have to evidence certain installation criteria. I'm not sure exactly yet as haven't received it yet. But 1000 hours is just 25 weeks at 40 hour week or 16 weeks if you can manage 60 hour weeks.
To be honest the questions in the theory weren't too hard, only thing is make sure you completely read the question before answering it and if it seems like a huge question just break it down into sections.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.