UK to US electrician

Old Jan 1st 2017, 9:57 am
Just Joined

Littlej is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK to US electrician

Hi! I'm American and my husband is a UK citizen. We are married and living in the UK on a spouse visa which is valid 2 more years.

We are considering our options in regards to moving when it expires or applying for ILR. My husband is a fully qualified electrician (has been in the profession 11 years). What would it be like for his job to move from the U.K. To the US? What would the possibilities be of starting our own business? Would this have to be in my name without x amount of startup money on his part?

Any info/experiences is great!
Old Jan 1st 2017, 11:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK to US electrician

Originally Posted by Littlej
Hi! I'm American and my husband is a UK citizen. We are married and living in the UK on a spouse visa which is valid 2 more years.

We are considering our options in regards to moving when it expires or applying for ILR. My husband is a fully qualified electrician (has been in the profession 11 years). What would it be like for his job to move from the U.K. To the US? What would the possibilities be of starting our own business? Would this have to be in my name without x amount of startup money on his part?

I don't know about any licensing requirements, you could just search on state websites of states you may wish to move to. Calling any unions in the area would be a good source of information.

As far as with whether business should be in your name or his, or start up capital, it really doesn't matter in the states- except if you have a credit history in the USA, probably better in your name. Reason being small business loans are hard to come by in the USA based on the business itself, but easier to get if necessary if owner has decent credit.

Start up capital I assume would be very similar to the UK, what would he need in UK to start as electrician ? My guess would be 10 to 15% less in USA.

Also, look to states that are doing well and may do so in future. In Texas Austin and San Antonio seem to have good economic prospects without the expense of East or West coast, North Carolina seems to attract a lot of people as well.
Old Jan 1st 2017, 11:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Littlej

How to Become an Electrician in Texas: 7 Steps (with Pictures)

After reading the above it seems to me contacting union good first step. I notice some of educational requirements would be online. I guess a key question if he wants his own business is to what degree would UK certifications be accepted. The insurance requirement sounds like a lot, but the premiums probably wouldn't be too expensive.

I have doubt that there is a demand for electricians in Texas.

Last edited by morpeth; Jan 1st 2017 at 12:01 pm.
Old Jan 1st 2017, 1:08 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

It will depend substantially on which state you are interested in moving to. Unions are going to have a large impact in some states, and little or none in others. That said, your husband is going to have to retrain and relicense to meet local requirements in the state he will be working in, and the time and cost (not least in lost income) of doing this should not be underestimated - there is no reciprocity in licensing so your husband's qualifications and experience count for very little in the US.

So far as owning a business goes, there is some value in structuring the company (LLC) as at least 51% owned by you so the company is eligible for status as a "woman-owned business" when bidding for government contracts, or work with other businesses that care about such things. You should check local state rules on what the ownership structure and percentages need to be to meet the bidding requirements. I know a local AC/heating contractor who structured his business that way for that reason.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 1st 2017 at 1:10 pm.