TRA Assessment route ??????

Old Jan 15th 2008, 7:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TRA Assessment route ??????

Originally Posted by steve`o
it would be prudent wends to put a quid on that
you never know

I got three numbers and one supplement number in SA lottery on Monday (it paid $11.10 )

http://www.salotteries.com.au/Defaul...?p=1&g=mwl_mon
Old Jan 26th 2008, 10:35 am

DavyT is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Glapper
My wife & I have finally decided to make the first steps on getting a new life down under. I current work in a factory as a Eng Maintenance electrician, and was just wondering if anyone could just confirm that the route i've got in my head is the right one.Get skills assessed --- TRA (Electrician Special Class) --- Wait for reply/conclusion ( How long does this take??) --- Apply for 175 visa (How long?)and then wait till they ask for any medicals/police reports etc --- then after much waiting and finger crossing --- get the visa.
Hi,

I would be grateful if you could keep me up to date on your application. I am in a similar situation: time served Maintenance Electrician in a Ford factory.
I have been worried about the Vetassess as I am not a house basher and suspect I would fail the practical exam. I have been looking at the TRA Electrician-Special Class myself; but worry if it will restrict my job prospects in Brisbane on this visa as opposed to General Electrician???

Thanks in advance,
David.
Old Jan 26th 2008, 9:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DavyT
Hi,

I would be grateful if you could keep me up to date on your application. I am in a similar situation: time served Maintenance Electrician in a Ford factory.
I have been worried about the Vetassess as I am not a house basher and suspect I would fail the practical exam. I have been looking at the TRA Electrician-Special Class myself; but worry if it will restrict my job prospects in Brisbane on this visa as opposed to General Electrician???

Thanks in advance,
David.
Hi David

If you apply for a general skilled migration visa (175 or 176) then you can do whatever job you like when you get here. It doesn't even have to be electrician, you could be a cleaner and it wouldn't matter.

The important things to think about are how are you going to get a visa, then how are you going to get a licence. The way I see it is you have two options:

Apply the vetassess route, get classified as a general electrician, you then get a visa based on them skills and vetassess give you a certificate to enable you to gain a provisional licence in Australia. Once you get here you will (almost certainly) need to apply to the TRA for an ARTC certificate to be able to get a full licence.

The other way is to apply via the TRA as electrician - special class, gain your visa on them skills. Then when you arrive in Australia you will need to apply to the TRA for an ARTC certificate to enable you to gain a full licence.

The ARTC certificate classifies you as either an Electrical Mechanic or an Electrical Fitter. An Electrical Mechanic can connect and disconnect from the mains, an Electrical Fitter can not (depending on which state you go to, in QLD an Electrical Fitter can't get a full licence without extra training, as far as I understand it. In South Australia either can apply for a full licence so long as they have passed the wiring rules exam.) This is the important part, how to gain an unrestricted licence when you get here, and which visa route is going to be the easiest way to ensure you get it.

Just to add, my OH worked for a card manufacturer in the UK and hadn't done any domestic work for 7 years but passed as a General Electrician (although that was before Vetassess). He also applied for and obtained his electrical mechanic ARTC when we arrived and is now working on PLC's in a factory who supply parts to Holden. So it can be done, just make sure you have a plan

Last edited by Wendy; Jan 26th 2008 at 9:11 pm.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 7:25 pm

Hi Wendy,
thanks for that. I suppose I shouldn't really worry which route I use, as long as I finish up in Oz!

By the way, thanks for recommending Alan Collett to me, he was a great help and was able to sort me out.

Cheers,
David.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 10:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by DavyT
Hi Wendy,
thanks for that. I suppose I shouldn't really worry which route I use, as long as I finish up in Oz!

By the way, thanks for recommending Alan Collett to me, he was a great help and was able to sort me out.

Cheers,
David.
Excellent.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 12:08 pm
Just Joined

Glapper is just really niceGlapper is just really niceGlapper is just really niceGlapper is just really niceGlapper is just really niceGlapper is just really niceGlapper is just really niceGlapper is just really nice

I've just got my TRA application back from TRA and i've been successful in my "Electrician Special Class - 4311-13".

They only recieved it on the 14th Jan & it was approved on the 21st -- really pleased as i was getting worried it would end up taking ages.

Old Feb 6th 2008, 12:09 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

I've just got my TRA application back from TRA and i've been successful in my "Electrician Special Class - 4311-13".

They only recieved it on the 14th Jan & it was approved on the 21st -- really pleased as i was getting worried it would end up taking ages.

congratulations mate
Old Feb 6th 2008, 7:06 pm

Excellent news mate,
congratulations!!!

Old Feb 20th 2008, 7:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Janna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Glapper,

Are you able to supply copies of the information you supplied to the TRA. My OH is an Electrician of 7 years but is petrified of exams and test etc and I fear he will not do too well via Vetassess. Would you recommend the TRA way for the special class electrician? Would he be able to get an A licence when we get to Oz? Done lots of research about the Vetassess route, but don't know much about the TRA route. Anything you could give us to assist would be appreciated!

Old Feb 26th 2008, 10:48 am
Telford Tigers fan

stumo has a reputation beyond reputestumo has a reputation beyond reputestumo has a reputation beyond reputestumo has a reputation beyond reputestumo has a reputation beyond reputestumo has a reputation beyond reputestumo has a reputation beyond reputestumo has a reputation beyond reputestumo has a reputation beyond reputestumo has a reputation beyond reputestumo has a reputation beyond repute

My wife & I have finally decided to make the first steps on getting a new life down under. I current work in a factory as a Eng Maintenance electrician, and was just wondering if anyone could just confirm that the route i've got in my head is the right one.Get skills assessed --- TRA (Electrician Special Class) --- Wait for reply/conclusion ( How long does this take??) --- Apply for 175 visa (How long?)and then wait till they ask for any medicals/police reports etc --- then after much waiting and finger crossing --- get the visa.
Hi Glapper - my husband is a maintenance electrician working in a car parts factory and I think this might be the best route for us (and the cheapest) - can we PM you for more info please?

Many thanks
Jane (and Stuart)
Old Feb 26th 2008, 6:00 pm
Just Joined

Glapper is just really niceGlapper is just really niceGlapper is just really niceGlapper is just really niceGlapper is just really niceGlapper is just really niceGlapper is just really niceGlapper is just really nice

If I can help in anyway, I'll try my best.

Just send me a message if you want some info.

Good Luck

Old Feb 27th 2008, 9:07 am
Telford Tigers fan

stumo has a reputation beyond reputestumo has a reputation beyond reputestumo has a reputation beyond reputestumo has a reputation beyond reputestumo has a reputation beyond reputestumo has a reputation beyond reputestumo has a reputation beyond reputestumo has a reputation beyond reputestumo has a reputation beyond reputestumo has a reputation beyond reputestumo has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya Glapper, I am a maintenance technician (electrician only staff). My main duties are with PLC (Allen Bradley and Mitsi) and robots (mainly ABB). Most if the diagnostics is done through a HMI screen although some pc work is needed. I have never been a domestic electrician but have the qualification C&G 236 1,2&3. My question is, are these similar skills as yourself and have you had any indication of jobs in Oz. Cheers Stumo
Old Feb 27th 2008, 10:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by stumo
Hiya Glapper, I am a maintenance technician (electrician only staff). My main duties are with PLC (Allen Bradley and Mitsi) and robots (mainly ABB). Most if the diagnostics is done through a HMI screen although some pc work is needed. I have never been a domestic electrician but have the qualification C&G 236 1,2&3. My question is, are these similar skills as yourself and have you had any indication of jobs in Oz. Cheers Stumo

That's what my OH does Only it's siemens steps 7 mostly in his company, they have the robots - don't know what type though. They are crying out for PLC guys here, especially ones with a full licence - you'll have your hand snapped off!

His wage is $60k per year, but because he is maintenance it's more like $70 -$75k because of the overtime - plus he gets 2 hours Rostered Days Off (RDO's) per week which he never really takes so they pay him it on top of his wage instead (so that's an extra 98 hours at $30 and a bit per hour).
Old Feb 27th 2008, 8:47 pm
Just Joined

Hey Stumo,

Sounds like we must do pretty similar types of jobs within the factory. I also work on PLC systems but its mainly Allen Bradley stuff because the company I work for has standardised to one type. I also do the general run of the day maintenance duties on a variety of different machines, probably the same as yourself. As far as qualifications go I went down the Electrical ONC, Electrical HNC, along with the 16th edition regs & City & Guilds 2391. I've done a little domestic wiring but only a couple of years so I would think its the Maintenance experience and qualifications that got me through the TRA assessment. Anyway its sounds as if it works out alot cheaper to go down this route.

As far as jobs go, I haven't really arranged anything yet because everyone I speak to asks if you have the visa in place so I think I'm going to wait until the visa comes through (fingers crossed). Mind you there does seem to be a few electrical jobs available once you get there. How easily they are to get before you get your licence is anyone's guess??? Anyone know?????
Old Feb 28th 2008, 5:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hey Stumo,

Sounds like we must do pretty similar types of jobs within the factory. I also work on PLC systems but its mainly Allen Bradley stuff because the company I work for has standardised to one type. I also do the general run of the day maintenance duties on a variety of different machines, probably the same as yourself. As far as qualifications go I went down the Electrical ONC, Electrical HNC, along with the 16th edition regs & City & Guilds 2391. I've done a little domestic wiring but only a couple of years so I would think its the Maintenance experience and qualifications that got me through the TRA assessment. Anyway its sounds as if it works out alot cheaper to go down this route.

As far as jobs go, I haven't really arranged anything yet because everyone I speak to asks if you have the visa in place so I think I'm going to wait until the visa comes through (fingers crossed). Mind you there does seem to be a few electrical jobs available once you get there. How easily they are to get before you get your licence is anyone's guess??? Anyone know?????
No-one would touch my OH without a full licence, but once he got it he was working straight away. There are some people that get jobs before the licence though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.