Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Restricted class 's' license - Victoria, Australia

Restricted class 's' license - Victoria, Australia

Old Sep 4th 2006, 12:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Restricted class 's' license - Victoria, Australia

Originally Posted by simpy
John, trust me m8, i went through exactly the same and got the same 'stupid' replies. Contact them and ask to be sent the application forms for an ARTC. As i said earlier, i had loads of grief from them saying i needed an Australian address, and if like me you don't have one i.e. a relative, then you will still get it processed, but you will have to collect it upon arrival.
email [email protected] and ask for the forms.

Simpy

ps, you DONT need copies of your passport showing your visa, unless things have changed in the last 6months. I have still got no visa and i emailed TRA again lastweek to say i wont be over 'till Nov(ish) to collect my ARTC and they said fine it's waiting for me at the Melbourne office.

They must have changed it then, cos I had to send it in. We sent an application in three weeks ago
Old Sep 4th 2006, 12:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

my friend, can you please pass this onto everyone hoping to obtain certification for electrical in Australia, it does not matter which state you reside in.

to work unsupervised you MUST do the A class exams, regardless of working on maint, or installation, or lifts or whatever. Its as simple as this to work unsupervised legally you must have passed the A class exams and i shall be direct & honest. its bloody hard work the exam is about 4 1/2 hours long you will
have a mixture of installation work, testing, fault finding, written exam this written exam is a job on its own very involved.
so dont give up get your arse to the TAFE (college) and enquire whats involved regarding organizing your self, do plenty of revision you will benefit from that.

the practical side of things when you are about 5 weeks away from the exam i recommend you ask the instructors if you can attend the TAFE after work and get as much practise in as you can it all helps.

if you do heaps of homework on the calculations you will be more confident, i can speak from experience mate like many before me we have been there done it and would not like to see fellow countrymen fail at the 1st hurdle so please set your mind into learning mode and you will be ok.

Arthur
Old Sep 4th 2006, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

simpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by The_Pom_From_Aus
my friend, can you please pass this onto everyone hoping to obtain certification for electrical in Australia, it does not matter which state you reside in.

to work unsupervised you MUST do the A class exams, regardless of working on maint, or installation, or lifts or whatever. Its as simple as this to work unsupervised legally you must have passed the A class exams and i shall be direct & honest. its bloody hard work the exam is about 4 1/2 hours long you will
have a mixture of installation work, testing, fault finding, written exam this written exam is a job on its own very involved.
so dont give up get your arse to the TAFE (college) and enquire whats involved regarding organizing your self, do plenty of revision you will benefit from that.

the practical side of things when you are about 5 weeks away from the exam i recommend you ask the instructors if you can attend the TAFE after work and get as much practise in as you can it all helps.

if you do heaps of homework on the calculations you will be more confident, i can speak from experience mate like many before me we have been there done it and would not like to see fellow countrymen fail at the 1st hurdle so please set your mind into learning mode and you will be ok.

Arthur
Not disputing what you are saying Arthur, but how can someone who has never done 'domestic' installations or 'maintenance on domestic' property have a hope of doing exams based around this? I work with PLC's and i can bet there is nowt on the exams about programming logic controllers to enable the automatic process control of production equpment. So does this mean that unless you go to Australia being able to do 'domestic installations' and knowing the 'regulations' regarding 'domestic installations' you dont stand a chance of getting a job within my field of work? According to here i'm classed under an 'S' class license not an 'A' class?

Simpy
Old Sep 4th 2006, 1:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

simpy,
now then mate i have seen electricians do the A class exam who are in the same boat as you with no domestic experience at all, it does not mean you will be looked at in a different way in some respects you have more practical skills than others.

here is the trick mate, you do the course and from the start you ask the instructors for help be honest with them and ask for a crash course on the installation part of things you know its not that hard to install conduit, Oh and by the way they wont be using steel cond its all PVC, Ive been told the installation part is about 20 mins now as i said before the entire A class has been revamped.

Also on the course they will teach you how to find faults and they teach you how to read the wiring rules and all the other stuff, they teach you the basics and you do lots of home work its the only way, there are lots of people who have been in the same boat as you my friend just keep you chin up, you can download a test paper from the website i know in Victoria there is a paper you can have a go at mind you, its a nightmare paper the test one.

But it may be worth looking at when you are part way through the course.

for goodness sake dont give up at the 1st hurdle, its like anything else you just learn all you need to just to get through the frigging exam and you may never have to do any of that side of things again.

Arthur
Old Sep 4th 2006, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

simpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by The_Pom_From_Aus
simpy,
now then mate i have seen electricians do the A class exam who are in the same boat as you with no domestic experience at all, it does not mean you will be looked at in a different way in some respects you have more practical skills than others.

here is the trick mate, you do the course and from the start you ask the instructors for help be honest with them and ask for a crash course on the installation part of things you know its not that hard to install conduit, Oh and by the way they wont be using steel cond its all PVC, Ive been told the installation part is about 20 mins now as i said before the entire A class has been revamped.

Also on the course they will teach you how to find faults and they teach you how to read the wiring rules and all the other stuff, they teach you the basics and you do lots of home work its the only way, there are lots of people who have been in the same boat as you my friend just keep you chin up, you can download a test paper from the website i know in Victoria there is a paper you can have a go at mind you, its a nightmare paper the test one.

But it may be worth looking at when you are part way through the course.

for goodness sake dont give up at the 1st hurdle, its like anything else you just learn all you need to just to get through the frigging exam and you may never have to do any of that side of things again.

Arthur
Ok cheers Arthur, that throws a whole new light on the subject. Do you know the link for the test paper?

Simpy
Old Sep 5th 2006, 7:27 am
BE Enthusiast

john_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond repute

OK..update on the ARTC, just got an email back. An ARTC will not be issued unless you are eligible to work in Australia, you must have a valid visa and be an Australian resident...
Looks like I'll be sitting on my arse for a bit when we arrive in Perth then
Begining to see why there is a shortage of skilled workers now ...
Old Sep 5th 2006, 7:34 am
BE Enthusiast

supersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to all

John W, this is the email we got,I think that you should push them,because its not right to tell you no.Maybe try this email address asits the one we got the email from.
[email protected]
Let us know how it goes.Cheers John N & Lorri

You can apply for the ARTC from overseas but delays in processing may be experienced if the assessors need to contact you for an interview or if a Trade Test needs to be undertaken. If you do not supply a certified true copy of a VISA that entitles you to work in Australia, your application will be returned to you. Please be aware that an ARTC can only be issued to a person with a 'right to work' in Australia and an Australian address.

For information concerning an Australian Recognised Trade Certificate (ARTC), please visit our website at www.workplace.gov.au/tra and go to the section marked "Domestic Skills Assessment for Australian Residents".

Please supply your address so that an application pack can be sent to you.
Old Sep 5th 2006, 7:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by john_w
OK..update on the ARTC, just got an email back. An ARTC will not be issued unless you are eligible to work in Australia, you must have a valid visa and be an Australian resident...

Why not get a form sent to the Australian address that you have and get them to forward it over to you. At least then you can start filling it all in.

Then as soon as your visa comes you can send it off to be assessed, again using the Australian address.
Old Sep 5th 2006, 7:45 am
BE Enthusiast

supersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to all

Hi Guy's an Girl's remind me not to post before I have my first coffee of the morning just got up and straight on here,does that meant I am addicted to the site? Meant to send Johns reply to the artc question,but never mind I know he read it.
John
Old Sep 5th 2006, 7:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by supersonic4
Hi Guy's an Girl's remind me not to post before I have my first coffee of the morning just got up and straight on here,does that meant I am addicted to the site? Meant to send Johns reply to the artc question,but never mind I know he read it.
John

Yep, you're hooked now
Old Sep 5th 2006, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

Either they have changed it recently or that's a load of b*LL*cks and the person either isn't fully aware of what they can do or they are too busy with Aussie applicants at the mo'
I have had mine awarded, not issued, and i have NO Aussie address and NO visa. It took a lot of emails and pestering on my half, but they awarded it to me BUT i can only get it issued upon arrival in OZ.

Simpy
Old Sep 5th 2006, 9:27 am
BE Enthusiast

john_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WendyC
Why not get a form sent to the Australian address that you have and get them to forward it over to you. At least then you can start filling it all in.

Then as soon as your visa comes you can send it off to be assessed, again using the Australian address.
Thats exactly what I am doing...got the form, printing of all the TRA stuff again!! Get it all ready to post once the visa arrives, and use my relies address in WA
Old Sep 5th 2006, 9:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Thats exactly what I am doing...got the form, printing of all the TRA stuff again!! Get it all ready to post once the visa arrives, and use my relies address in WA
hey John I just sent a email to TRA after your post,this is what i got back a few minutes ago,
Cheers Lorri
"Thank you for your recent enquiry to Trades Recognition Australia (TRA).

You can apply for the ARTC from overseas but delays in processing may be
experienced if the assessors need to contact you for an interview or if
a Trade Test needs to be undertaken. If you do not supply a certified
true copy of your VISA that entitles you to work in Australia, the
application will be sent back to you. Please be aware that an ARTC can
only be posted to a person with an Australian address.

TRA provides a recognition service for people in the metal and
electrical trades who have not completed an Australian apprenticeship.
The minimum requirement for recognition is completion of a 4 year formal
trade course outside of Australia or 6 years (metal trades) or 7 years
(electrical trades) experience (including training) across the full
range the trade.

Application forms must be original and cannot be emailed or downloaded.
Please supply your postal address if you require an application pack to
be sent to you.

For information concerning an Australian Recognised Trade Certificate
(ARTC), please visit our website at www.workplace.gov.au/tra and go to
the section marked "Domestic Skills Assessment for Australian
residents".

Thank you

TRADES RECOGNITION AUSTRALIA"
Old Sep 5th 2006, 9:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by supersonic4
hey John I just sent a email to TRA after your post,this is what i got back a few minutes ago,
Cheers Lorri
"Thank you for your recent enquiry to Trades Recognition Australia (TRA).

You can apply for the ARTC from overseas but delays in processing may be
experienced if the assessors need to contact you for an interview or if
a Trade Test needs to be undertaken. If you do not supply a certified
true copy of your VISA that entitles you to work in Australia, the
application will be sent back to you. Please be aware that an ARTC can
only be posted to a person with an Australian address.

TRA provides a recognition service for people in the metal and
electrical trades who have not completed an Australian apprenticeship.
The minimum requirement for recognition is completion of a 4 year formal
trade course outside of Australia or 6 years (metal trades) or 7 years
(electrical trades) experience (including training) across the full
range the trade.

Application forms must be original and cannot be emailed or downloaded.
Please supply your postal address if you require an application pack to
be sent to you.

For information concerning an Australian Recognised Trade Certificate
(ARTC), please visit our website at www.workplace.gov.au/tra and go to
the section marked "Domestic Skills Assessment for Australian
residents".

Thank you

TRADES RECOGNITION AUSTRALIA"

Had that one too a while back...
just wanted to start the process of sooner prior to actually arriving over there
Old Sep 5th 2006, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

Had that one too a while back...
just wanted to start the process of sooner prior to actually arriving over there
John, dug out the email i got back from TRA regarding my ARTC application from overseas, here it is;

Thank you for your recent enquiry, please note that we will continue with your application. However you will not be issued an ARTC until you provide evidence of the right to work in Australia or a permanent residency Visa is supplied by yourself. This means that if your application is successful you will be listed as a conditional grant and that when the requirements are met for the issue of an ARTC eg: visa or work permit submitted, your ARTC will be forwarded to your Australian address or alternatively you can pick it up from our Melbourne office.

Regards,
Adrian Bellocci
Skills Assessor
10/01/2005

Simpy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.