Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Read Me - A Grade license in Aus

Read Me - A Grade license in Aus

Old Mar 18th 2009, 6:22 am
BE Enthusiast

melbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to all
Default Re: Read Me - A Grade license in Aus

Hi,

I'm a little confused so I do apologise if this has already been answered earlier in the thread!!

My hubby did the vetassess, we have now moved over to Perth, his work has put hime on the 2 week course at the TAFE in Jandakot. Some of the guys on the course are under the impression that they'll be qualified in WA after this whilst others think they'll have to do a years worth of experience and build a portfolio to then be qualified. Can anyone shed some light on this? Some have done Vetassess, others did the TRA.

Please help!

Cheers

Mel
Old Mar 18th 2009, 6:40 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by melbert
Hi,

I'm a little confused so I do apologise if this has already been answered earlier in the thread!!

My hubby did the vetassess, we have now moved over to Perth, his work has put hime on the 2 week course at the TAFE in Jandakot. Some of the guys on the course are under the impression that they'll be qualified in WA after this whilst others think they'll have to do a years worth of experience and build a portfolio to then be qualified. Can anyone shed some light on this? Some have done Vetassess, others did the TRA.

Please help!

Cheers

Mel

to be honest only your local tafe can really answer this one
what course is he doing, is it a asnz2007 wiring and inspection course ??
Old Mar 19th 2009, 10:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

melbert;

this may be of assistance i got this from PEER in S/A yesterday.

From the UK to Australia - What happens when you get here?

When tradespersons immigrate to Australia from the UK there are a number of things which make each individual different and hence the information can be confusing. There are currently 2 main pathways to have your UK trade recognised in Australia. Like most programmes, each has pros and cons and you need to be aware of the difference before you start this process.

1. TRA – You will need to apply to Trades Recognition Australia (TRA) whilst still in the UK as part of your VISA application. NB: this first application to TRA is for immigration purposes only. When you arrive in Australia you reapply to TRA to have your trade recognised for licensing purposes. You will also need to do a course to familiarise yourself with the current Australian Electrical Wiring Rules. Each state has its own requirements for licensing however in SA these 2 documents (your local certificate from TRA & Wiring rules course certificate) are all you need. Licensing will then issue you with an Electrical license which can be transferred to other states if you wish. To our knowledge this is currently the easiest method. The downfall is that you need to be in Australia to apply for your trades recognition. Also, just because you are approved for a VISA due to your electrical skills, this does not automatically mean you will also be approved for licensing once you get here. Double check the criteria with the TRA for licensing purposes not only immigration.

2. VETAssess - You are assessed whist still in the UK for your trades recognition. This means when you arrive the licensing body will issue you an ‘in training’ license valid for 12 months. This in theory sounds like a better option however, there are a number of pitfalls. In addition to the course in the Australian Wiring Rules, you will also need to be accredited for a number of other subjects equivalent to the full Certificate III Electrotechnology by a training organisation (approximately 170 hours of training which can be completed during the 12 months). You also must find employment under your ‘in training’ license as you also need to carry a log book for your on job tasks for the next 12 months. Only then can you apply for an unrestricted electrical license. This option will also be more expensive.

Please note: Once you start with 1 method you cannot switch over. eg You cannot start with VETAssess then switch to TRA when you get here. Please choose carefully.

At this time electrical licensing in Australia is state based not national. This means it is best for each student to contact the licensing board in the state in which you are intending to live. On the positive side however, once you have a license in one state reciprocal agreements between states mean you can simply transfer your license to another state by paying the appropriate state fee.

How can PEER VEET help?
Like most training organisations PEER is a state based training organisation (conducting Nationally accredited training), currently located in South Australia. If a student has been assessed by the TRA indicating that his trade background is sufficient to be accepted for an Australia Recognition of Trade Certificate (ARTC), then we can assist with the training in Wiring Rules. This course is available by correspondence and can be started whilst you are still in the UK if you prefer. Once the fee is paid ($510.00 course fee + $345 books = $855.00 + $100 postage and handling if still in the UK) the references with trainer contact details is posted to you. When you are comfortable with the material you need to attend the PEER site in Adelaide for a 2 day revision and assessment. This can be coordinated with your arrival in Australia if you wish.

The benefit of this system is the speed. If you are planning to live in South Australia the course can be completed entirely in a classroom over a 5 day period (spread out over 3 weeks) or study via correspondence from wherever you live whilst your TRA application is being processed. When your application is approved and you are comfortable with the material, make your appointment for assessment. Assuming all goes well and you pass the exam you can collect your certificate on the second day with enough time to take the 15 minute trip to the city to apply for your license. You can then take this to any state in Australia and they will transfer it for you. NB: Completing the Wiring Rules course will have no effect upon the TRA application.

PEER VEET can also help if you decide to go down the VETAssess path, however if you do choose this method, you are best advised to find a training organisation in the state in which you will be living. The state based licensing and training laws, mean that to use PEER you would have to be skipping from one state to another on numerous occasions over the 12 month period.

There is a lot of information out there about this process and a lot can be misleading and confusing. It is therefore the reccommedation of PEER that each student contact the licensing board in the state in which you will be living. They will be able to tell you what you need to provide to them for them to issue the license you need.

This process does not have to be hard. You just need to make sure you are well informed. There are a number of British Ex-pat websites that have forums where various issues are discussed. These may also be helpful for you.

If you would like to discuss this in more detail or for clarification on any of these issues please contact either Peter Jolley or Kate Boneham on (08) 8348 1200.
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 4:49 am
BE Enthusiast

melbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to all

Thanks for the replies.

He did the two week course at the electrical college in Perth and he passed, just needs go apply to energy safety now to get his official licence - well, his work are!!

Hopefully that's it now and he's there! Will let you know!!

Cheers

Mel
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 9:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

paulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nice

Originally Posted by melbert
Thanks for the replies.

He did the two week course at the electrical college in Perth and he passed, just needs go apply to energy safety now to get his official licence - well, his work are!!

Hopefully that's it now and he's there! Will let you know!!

Cheers

Mel
Which course did he do? and how much did it cost or did work pay?
Old Apr 4th 2009, 10:15 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulandcelia
post 4 might help

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=599682
Old Apr 10th 2009, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

leeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really nice

good info arthur. nice on.

just one thing that peer are wrong about is that you can apply for the artc certificate while still in the uk.

" When you arrive in Australia you reapply to TRA to have your trade recognised for licensing purposes. "

saves a load of time if you do it from over here and have it ready for when you get there.

good info though. clears a lot up for people.

lee.
Old Apr 10th 2009, 9:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

Lee,
i shall inform Kate at PEER of her mistake regarding the ARTC being done in the UK
Old Apr 13th 2009, 1:25 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

I'm finally sorted my shit out about getting licenced. I have completed my covering letter but haven't listed all tools yet.(anyone got a list handy?) I also got all my documents signed by a JP but i noticed this was done November 2007. Will that matter? I have a photocopied application form(i did have the blue one but deatils are old now) Will the photocopied one be ok? So since i cam here as an independant migrant and went the TRA route. The ARTC application will cost me nothing. Correct? Is there course work invoved with going the SA option or do you just read up on the regs and then sit an open book exam?Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 13th 2009, 1:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by paulandcelia
Woo hoo, Hubby is now a fully licenced sparkie!! Paid up and all!

Two week course at the electrical college near Jandakot but his work sorted it all out and paid for it so sorry, can't help with the details. If you need them, I can try to get him to find out.

Mel
Old Apr 13th 2009, 9:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jockstar;
you shall have to list all tools, make sure the application reads like you have done lots of installation work on 1 x phase & 3 x phase that way you should get the electrical fitters ARTC, with this certificate once you have the A class license you can work on your own without supervision, the other license is the electrical fitters license in some states its limiting to panel wiring only so be sure you do the application right from the word go.

list all conduits, trunkings (Duct here) all cables & sizes all motors & stop starts & so on, then list every tools you have ever used even if only the once list it & all the applications they was used for. also list any Pyro & SWA the more you add in the better it is for you make it read like a CV

I would have the JP sign again with the new date also get in touch with the nearest migration place to you about the copy of the applications form they may only accept the original or just get a new one to be sure.

If you do everything yourself then you know it shall be correct, with regards to PEER in SA they are the best to go with you sign up pay them they then send you all materials inclusive or wiring rules & a work book with all examples in the package, when you feel your ready you call them make a date for the exams they book you in for 2 days, its all done in one day but in case you stuff or or feel you need another day its there for you.

the only people i have heard of failing at PEER are the people who DONT do the work book its as simple as that, everyone else has passed.

This lady works for PEER in the Admin office she deals with most students from over seas, her name is Kate a very nice lady

[email protected]

email Kate & ask her about the A class distance learning they provide, also tell her you have been in contact with Arthur in Melbourne
Old Apr 14th 2009, 5:50 am
Forum Regular

Kevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to all

Hello All.

Arthur, little mistake 4 word second line should read mechanic

Regards

kevin
Old Apr 14th 2009, 6:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Kevin S;

your correct in what you say, however i think the main content is what people are after not a mere "Mistake"

after all if myself, Wendy, Stev'O did not post on here with assistance for people then most would be in a boat without a paddle so to say.
Old Apr 14th 2009, 8:00 am
Worongary

Originally Posted by Kevin S
Hello All.

Arthur, little mistake 4 word second line should read mechanic

Regards

kevin
nope arthurs right and funnily enough so are you ??
you see it all depends on which state your in
Victoria where arther lives its an A Grade licence
South Australia where wendy lives its an electrical workers licence
here in Qld its an electical mechanics licence
all three are one and the same its just the way differnt states electrical safety office have labelled it

to be honest though i cannot understand why you felt the need to correct him ??
the guy at his own cost in time etc contacts peer ( in a state other than where he lives ) finds out the latest relevant information and posts in on here for nothing more than the occasional thank you,

So from myself i would just like to say thank you arthur for taking the time to speak to kate at peer and for relaying the information for thoose of us that have yet to sort out licencing issues
Old Apr 14th 2009, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

Davy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really nice

Good post Arthur, Cheers.Davy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.