Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Read Me - A Grade license in Aus

Read Me - A Grade license in Aus

Old Jan 2nd 2009, 11:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Read Me - A Grade license in Aus

[britishsparky;
vetassess is the new training agency commisioned via the government in Australia, the other is ARTC if you can get the ARTC 1st then i would recommend that path, doing that enables you to do the A class license at PEER in south australia, however doing vetassess it seems you must now do the new system its similar to QLD where you must work on site with a log book for about 12 months before you are allowed to sit any A class exams, this has an affect for pay you wont get a company to pay full rates while your at a level of training, you would be classed as Restricted meaning all your work would have to be inspected by a spark who has the A class license also your NOT allowed to work on any x 1 phase gear or 3 phase stuff alone, i know it sounds shite but thats how its done & to make matters worse when your on site & you look at some of the Aussie or European sparks you shall be frigging horrified at the standard of workmanship, as rough as guts we may say.

also dont feel as your Dumb, your asking the right questions people on here are very good for assistance, if you need help for QLD then Stev'O is great if you need help in south australia wendy is a massive source of great help, in Victoria you can then ask me if you like.

all the best mate
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 9:06 pm
Just Joined

britishsparky is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for the replies . south Oz is perhaps my preference mel,Adel.
I'm pretty much run of the mill uk spark
236 1&2, nvq L3, Am 1&2, 2391, Jib Approved age 36, done a full debentured apprenticship from school
so would that sway me to which route i'd take?
intrested in solar cell installs if its on the up

Last edited by britishsparky; Jan 3rd 2009 at 9:14 pm.
Old Jan 4th 2009, 8:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

britishsparky;

what type of work have you done this is crucial for the kind of assessment you get, if you have work like installations of conduits,trunkings sockets,lights & all the rest you should be looking at the electrical mechanic certificate this is unlimited meaning you can work on anything.

if your an main person only you will only get the electrical fitters cert, meaning in some states your now allowed to work on 1 x phase or 3 x phase stuff at all you may also be limited to panle wiring only, so you see why its so crucial.

Again in some states they wont allow a person who has the fitters cert to actually sit the A class exams, you "must" get the A class exam before your allowed to work unsupervised in Australia.

When you make your application list every tool you have ever used (if only the once) also list its application of use, list every type on conduit's pvc of steel again its application also, list every type of cable ever used & why & what for, stop starts, motors, plc's anything you can think of list it & application, get letters from past employers get them signed they are then a legal document also ensure all copies are certified & dated.

the people doing your application are pen pushers they dont know a piece of conduit from a frigging rubber duck.

if i can be of help just ask mate.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

witchypoo is just really nicewitchypoo is just really nicewitchypoo is just really nicewitchypoo is just really nicewitchypoo is just really nicewitchypoo is just really nicewitchypoo is just really nicewitchypoo is just really nice

Hi all, Not been on for a while, been busy sorting things out for the move.
Thanks for all the info on here, it is all a great help.
Can anyone who has already made the trip over tell me how did you go about getting your tools over. OH needs his tools this end until we go, then he will need them other end once we arrive. Will it be a case of selling his ones here and just buying new ones there. We wont be able to wait the 8 weeks plus for container to arrive before he finds a job.

Thanks for any advice.
Steph.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 5:58 am
BE Enthusiast

witchypoo;

there is noway i would be selling the tools, he can phone the airway people tell them your migrating they can give special consideration so he can work when you get here, but get it in writing from the air craft company
Old Jan 12th 2009, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

witchypoo is just really nicewitchypoo is just really nicewitchypoo is just really nicewitchypoo is just really nicewitchypoo is just really nicewitchypoo is just really nicewitchypoo is just really nicewitchypoo is just really nice

Originally Posted by The_Pom_From_Aus
witchypoo;

there is noway i would be selling the tools, he can phone the airway people tell them your migrating they can give special consideration so he can work when you get here, but get it in writing from the air craft company
Thats great news, as you know good tools are expensive, hate to think how much it would cost to replace them.
Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

paulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nice

hi and thanks too all who have posted information on electricians immigrating to oz. Aurthur Ive have read trough tons of your posts on the matter and i am thankfully a little more enlightened. i am however still not 100% sure of whats required of me so here is my situation, I am an Irish qualified electrician after a 4 year apprenticeship. I now have 8.5 years experience as a sparks. i have worked on everything from domestic installations to oil rigs in the north sea. I have received my skilled migration visa for which i needed approval from the TRA as a general electrician. I wish to work in the mines in WA so ill probably move to Perth as most the companies operating in the mines require the Class A license from perth for their FIFO positions. I have been in touch with the energy board in leederville Perth asking them about this but they didn't really provide enough info. So here's what I'm stuck on.
Is my original TRA letter for immigration purposes no use in this matter?
If so what do have to send to the TRA this time?
Am I applying for Electrical Mechanic or Electrical Fitter?
Whats happens after i get my new TRA cert?
How do I get the class A license?
Do I need to sit more exams?

Thanks guys sorry if this is a bit long winded, any help would be great. Cheers

Last edited by paulg1770; Jan 13th 2009 at 3:02 pm.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 6:41 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulg1770
hi and thanks too all who have posted information on electricians immigrating to oz. Aurthur Ive have read trough tons of your posts on the matter and i am thankfully a little more enlightened. i am however still not 100% sure of whats required of me so here is my situation, I am an Irish qualified electrician after a 4 year apprenticeship. I now have 8.5 years experience as a sparks. i have worked on everything from domestic installations to oil rigs in the north sea. I have received my skilled migration visa for which i needed approval from the TRA as a general electrician. I wish to work in the mines in WA so ill probably move to Perth as most the companies operating in the mines require the Class A license from perth for their FIFO positions. I have been in touch with the energy board in leederville Perth asking them about this but they didn't really provide enough info. So here's what I'm stuck on.
Is my original TRA letter for immigration purposes no use in this matter?
If so what do have to send to the TRA this time?
Am I applying for Electrical Mechanic or Electrical Fitter?
Whats happens after i get my new TRA cert?
How do I get the class A license?
Do I need to sit more exams?

Thanks guys sorry if this is a bit long winded, any help would be great. Cheers

you need to apply for an artc
http://www.workplace.gov.au/workplac...nresidents.htm
as the tra assessment is for migration purposes only
once you have your artc i`d do your australian wirng exam at peer in adelaide peer.com.au ( only use the website to get the contact details as its hopeless ) call peer and arrange a date for your course / exam this usually take 3 to 4 days at the end of the corse exam apply for the SA electrical licence, ( loads of info on both peer and SA licences on here ) and if the mines wont accept your SA licence ( which they should under the recipercal aggreement ) then get it exchanged for the WA equivalent
Old Jan 13th 2009, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

paulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nice

thanks steve'o you reckon i shouldnt have too much of a problem then? Im still in ireland now but ill be heading over in a few months so i want to get as much done as possible so i can start working as soon as i get over, but i suppose all i can do from here is get the artc right?
Old Jan 13th 2009, 8:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

paulg1770;
Steve:O is correct in the way he explained it all he is very good & also a decent bloke to deal with.

Now then when you apply for your ARTC you should either get the Electrical mechanics's or fitters ARTC the people doing your application decide which one you get, the electrical mechanic is unlimiting after exams, the fitter can be restricted to panel wiring only in some states.
so the trick is when making your application add in a CV that explains all you have done, meaning when type of work. Industrial, Commercial, Domestic DONT leave anything out, every job you can remember also what you did installing of machines also circuits fittings lights power installs the entire lot.
Then you get letters from past employers if you can if not get a stat dec & have it signed & dates then its a legal doc.
Then after all that list every tool & its use if only used the once list the thing this way they decide if you get the mechanic or fitters license, from others on here it looks like the fitters license is restricted.

Then when you get the ARTC, you get your Arse over here i would recommend you go to PEER in S/A the A class license can be done in about 3 days ive been told, you do the leg work by using a work book provided from PEER after you pay them of course, but its all done in a few days.

Or you can book into the Tafe (College) in the state your residing in & do a top up course to pre pair you for the forth coming A class exam, in some states this can take 12 months or longer, the quickest & easiest way is PEER.

If you need any info about PEER courses post to wendy on here she is good, also for more info ask Steve"O he is also great.

Try to add in as much info as you may when applying for your ARTC, you only get one go at the ARTC for mechanic or fitter so make sure its the right one, Mechanic is NOT restricting at all when you get the A class some states wont let you sit the A class with the fitters certificate,
Once you have the mechanic license + A class license you can work Unrestricted on all equipment 3 phase & 1 phase gear.

This is why its very important this could be the most important application you have made so make sure its the right one
Old Jan 13th 2009, 9:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The_Pom_From_Aus

Then when you get the ARTC, you get your Arse over here i would recommend you go to PEER in S/A the A class license can be done in about 3 days ive been told, you do the leg work by using a work book provided from PEER after you pay them of course, but its all done in a few days.
3 to 5 days is the amount of time people need to be in Adelaide for to sit the exam and apply to the OCBA.

The course work can be done by correspondence - from the UK too I believe, although you might just want to concentrate on doing your ARTC just now. The exam has to be sat at PEER in Adelaide though, that takes 2 to 3 days. Once you have the exam pass and the ARTC (either fitter or mechanic) take all that down to the Office Consumer and Business Affairs in Adelaide City and apply for a licence there. Take ID, fill in the form, pay the fee, have a photo taken and they will post the licence - they even posts it interstate.

All forms you need are here:

http://www.ocba.sa.gov.au/assets/fil...seas_07web.pdf
http://www.ocba.sa.gov.au/assets/fil...ship_07web.pdf
http://www.workplace.gov.au/workplac...cationForm.htm
http://www.workplace.gov.au/workplac...HEHINT=Guest#4
Old Jan 13th 2009, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you very much Wendy, Arthur and steve'o that has cleared a few things up for now
Old Jan 14th 2009, 1:05 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulg1770
thanks steve'o you reckon i shouldnt have too much of a problem then? Im still in ireland now but ill be heading over in a few months so i want to get as much done as possible so i can start working as soon as i get over, but i suppose all i can do from here is get the artc right?
yes do your artc from ireland but you`ll have to get the cert sent to an aussie address ( they wont send it overseas ) use a mates / rellies etc
Old Jan 14th 2009, 7:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Steve, well said mate i forgot to mention that to people about sending the ARTC to an Australian address

Steve where are you in QLD me & the wife are thinking of having a few days at Noosa in July it would be nice to say hello to you if we decide to come to noosa

Originally Posted by steve`o
yes do your artc from ireland but you`ll have to get the cert sent to an aussie address ( they wont send it overseas ) use a mates / rellies etc
Old Jan 20th 2009, 4:50 am
Forum Regular

ShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really nice

Has anyone from Perth travelled to Adelaide to do this? My OH is still waiting for his ARTC and therefore can't book onto a TAFE until at least April. He's strugling to work again after the New Year and April seems such a long time away. The nearest TAFE to us that do the course is in Freemantle (2 nights a week) so he'd have to be working relatively local (not the mines) to be able to attend the course for 10 weeks. The system makes it difficult for him to work and earn money. We're getting frustrated at the moment. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.