Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Better to learn the trade here or there?

Better to learn the trade here or there?

Old Sep 17th 2017, 8:06 am
Just Joined

BartSpark is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Better to learn the trade here or there?

Hi there

I'm looking to do 2 things. Become an electrician and move to Australia.
Just trying to find out in what order to do that.

So the first option I'm looking at is this

It looks like I could get a student visa for Australia (with 11 grand gbp is savings ) study for a certificate III in electrotechnology at a college and then apply for graduate visa for another 18 months and in that time try and get as much work experience possible to apply for a skilled visa or possibly get sponsored.

The other option is to start an apprenticeship here in the UK or go to college and work my way up the whole 4 years to be a licensed electrician here in the UK and then try and apply for a skilled visa knowing that I'd then have to transfer my skillset over when and if I got my visa.

Just looking for suggestions from those who know more than me!

Thanks in advance

Bart
Old Sep 17th 2017, 10:42 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Better to learn the trade here or there?

Originally Posted by BartSpark
Hi there

I'm looking to do 2 things. Become an electrician and move to Australia.
Just trying to find out in what order to do that.

So the first option I'm looking at is this

It looks like I could get a student visa for Australia (with 11 grand gbp is savings ) study for a certificate III in electrotechnology at a college and then apply for graduate visa for another 18 months and in that time try and get as much work experience possible to apply for a skilled visa or possibly get sponsored.

The other option is to start an apprenticeship here in the UK or go to college and work my way up the whole 4 years to be a licensed electrician here in the UK and then try and apply for a skilled visa knowing that I'd then have to transfer my skillset over when and if I got my visa.

Just looking for suggestions from those who know more than me!

Thanks in advance

Bart
To be accepted to study for a Cert III, you need to be on an apprenticeship with an employer, so likely to be a non-starter. Not sure you would get a graduate visa for a cert III either.

If you are sure you want to be a sparky, study in the UK and get the experience before looking to emigrate.
Old Oct 8th 2017, 1:19 am
Just Joined

AdrianIre is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Better to learn the trade here or there?

Originally Posted by BartSpark

The only option is to start an apprenticeship here in the UK and work my way up the whole 4 years to be a licensed electrician here in the UK and then try and apply for a skilled visa knowing that I'd then have to transfer my skillset over when and if I got my visa.
I'm probably the bearer of bad news but hope this helps.