practical exam theory

Old Sep 29th 2008, 5:06 am
Forum Regular

dobaman is a name known to alldobaman is a name known to alldobaman is a name known to alldobaman is a name known to alldobaman is a name known to alldobaman is a name known to alldobaman is a name known to alldobaman is a name known to alldobaman is a name known to alldobaman is a name known to alldobaman is a name known to all
Default Re: practical exam theory

hi j. i done the assessment in july. if youre not used to pvc conduit i'd probably get some (and a spring) and have a few goes. the spacing is something they specify. (i.e. you install to a dimensioned sketch) there was a 90 deg bend and a double set. its not massive but if you havent experienced pvc it could catch you out.
basic testing of your install is, insulation resistance and earth continuity really. the wiring systems are different over here so the assessors arent too bothered about uk testing methods.

hope this helps

d
Old Sep 29th 2008, 7:01 am
Just Joined

jacovdb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dobaman
hi j. i done the assessment in july. if youre not used to pvc conduit i'd probably get some (and a spring) and have a few goes. the spacing is something they specify. (i.e. you install to a dimensioned sketch) there was a 90 deg bend and a double set. its not massive but if you havent experienced pvc it could catch you out.
basic testing of your install is, insulation resistance and earth continuity really. the wiring systems are different over here so the assessors arent too bothered about uk testing methods.

hope this helps

d
Hi guys, thanks for the info.

P.S. I meant Vetassess in my first post, but I did not realise I changed it to Vitesses when doing a spell check.

Regards J
Old Sep 29th 2008, 7:26 am
Forum Regular

dobaman is a name known to alldobaman is a name known to alldobaman is a name known to alldobaman is a name known to alldobaman is a name known to alldobaman is a name known to alldobaman is a name known to alldobaman is a name known to alldobaman is a name known to alldobaman is a name known to alldobaman is a name known to all

no problem j, its not a spelling test most of us sparks can barely spell our names
Old Sep 29th 2008, 6:42 pm
Just Joined

Hey, I can now almost bend a bow tie with my conduit (they say small things amuse small minds, I say Einstein was amused by an atom).

I am getting all my stuff ready for my big venture Friday. I just want some confirmation regarding the PPE required. They sent me a list, but some of the things are ridiculous. Here is the list, can you please tell me what is essential:

These I think are
Safety goggles
Safety boots
Gloves
Overalls (gown)
Locks and tags

What about

Hard hat
hair net (I don't have long hair)
ear plugs
face masks

Regards J
Old Sep 30th 2008, 6:21 am
Forum Regular

mate, where are you taking the assessment? i took boots, hard hat and specs. boots was all i needed. hair net!!! whats that all about?

locks and tags, if you have, take with (i guess) .they supplied in uk.

i guess the venue stipulates the PPE requirements, as you'll be using their facilities. if youve got all the stuff stick it in a bag and take it. that way you wont get caught short. or email the venue (not vetassess) and ask them about the requirements. it does seem a bit over the top though
Old Oct 1st 2008, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

Davy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really nice

I did my assessment also in July. Glasgow was my venue and we were the first to do it at that tech. I brought all my P.P.E. across from N.Ireland and only used my boots. I did have lock offs with me but I do a lot of Testing and Inspecting. None of the other guys there had any and the assessors produced some but they didn't fit the U.K. standard isolaters. I found that the assessment was very laid back [in true Aussy standard] and if you were aware of what you should do you didn't always have to do it. On the isolation etc. the assessor stands beside you and if you give him a little running commentary on what and why you are doing something it lets him know your competant as well as helping you not to forget something as you go. Bring a battery drill with you for mounting the dist board and switch boxes etc. One of the guys in my class didn't and he was getting in a bit of a flap as he thought he was falling behind. Check out Steve 'o' for the theory and Dobaman also sent me some good PM's.Davy.
Old Oct 5th 2008, 9:10 am
Just Joined

I did my exam on 3/10 in Cape Town South Africa and all went well. Tnx guys for all your info, it really helped me a lot. Seems the test is still exactly the same, there is not much I can add. The assessors where veeerryy laid back (Trevor and Rob). They even gave some pointers to the guys that battled and tried to lead them in the right direction.

The PPE was also not required, only safety boots, even an overall wasn't necessary.

J
Old Oct 5th 2008, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jacovdb
I did my exam on 3/10 in Cape Town South Africa and all went well. Tnx guys for all your info, it really helped me a lot. Seems the test is still exactly the same, there is not much I can add. The assessors where veeerryy laid back (Trevor and Rob). They even gave some pointers to the guys that battled and tried to lead them in the right direction.

The PPE was also not required, only safety boots, even an overall wasn't necessary.

J
well done j. now you have to wait for the results.

good luck mate
Old Oct 5th 2008, 1:12 pm
Just Joined

Easter is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Re: practical exam theory

Hi there Stevo
I am new to this forum malarki although my wife has been on the pomz in oz forum 4 ages,i did the trade test in london in april 08 (and failed),re doing it on the 28th October in the thing i had dificulty was the motor as i am relatavely new to the trade as i qaulified in june 06 but have been working as a full time sparky since 03 and the majority of the work i do is domestic,i expected to find all the components and a diagram there for me but instead it was a pin board and a load of leads,is thre any way i can disifer this easily so a thicko like me can understand it......dont want to fail again.

Cheers Mate
Old Oct 5th 2008, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

Davy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really nice

Hi, Sorry to here you weren't successful in April buddy. I did mine in July and I think the bit your talking about is wiring the resisters in series and in parallel. If you don't do this sort of thing a lot it might help to do your series connections first and then piggy back your parallels onto it. Do you have to do the whole assessment again or just the bit you didn't get?Davy.
Old Oct 6th 2008, 5:37 am
Just Joined

Hi Davy,the resistors wernt a problem,it was the motor,i dont do stuff like that being a domestic sparky,dont know if i have it all to do again,i think so.thanks for the reply tho.
Cheers Ian
Old Oct 6th 2008, 5:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Easter
Hi Davy,the resistors wernt a problem,it was the motor,i dont do stuff like that being a domestic sparky,dont know if i have it all to do again,i think so.thanks for the reply tho.
Cheers Ian
hey easter, the motor question!! you mean the dol starter set? 2 push buttons, 1 start 1 stop?
its connected with banana leads without an actual motor!!
if it is, its very likely you'll do it again. they are super hot on motors down here.

anyhoo, post up if ive got your drift, we can sort you out no problem
Old Oct 6th 2008, 6:11 am
Just Joined

Morning Dodaman,You hit the nail straight on the head mate,going to work but will be on tonight at bout 8.30 and we can chat then.

cheers mate
Old Oct 6th 2008, 6:17 am
Forum Regular

thats all very good apart from the time difference between me in sunny oz and you in rainy yorks

still no probs, will pm you something. hope you know how that works if not let me know later and i'll pick it up this time tuesday

have a good un

d
Old Oct 6th 2008, 7:10 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Easter
Morning Dodaman,You hit the nail straight on the head mate,going to work but will be on tonight at bout 8.30 and we can chat then.

cheers mate
hi guys can you open another thread for chatting??
the idea of this thread is info for thoose taking exams

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.