practical exam theory

Old Mar 3rd 2018, 6:57 am
Just Joined

varun040616 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: practical exam theory

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Please do not shout at me (all capitals is shouting )

You use what is available - you'll have a selection to choose from. Minimum RCD is not 40 amps - not sure where you got that from?

Cable sizes were specified I think, but select a suitable size for the load - not all loads are 10A socket outlets or lighting. Can't remember if we had a book to help or if I took mine.

Sorry if you feel it like Shouts !

Last edited by varun040616; Mar 3rd 2018 at 6:58 am. Reason: missed text
Old Mar 24th 2018, 11:26 am
Just Joined

HARESHNN is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by shanth
christmasoompa,

thanks for your reply, i am from India and I don't have much knowledge of UK English.

In my last post i had apologized regarding the same.

Regarding my language skills compared to UK people not so good but my IELTS score is 7, i don't think it will be obstacle for my visa process.

Really i didn't expected these type of discussions. in my first post i had clearly mentioned that any one who had attended practical exam from Mumbai, India.

From there every discussion went in wrong direction.

small suggestion from my side if you really want to help people please ignore their language mistakes because people come here seeking some help from different countries and culture.

people visit this forum seeking some help and i don't want to discourage them.

I am sorry for having taken your precious time.
I have completed Vetassess Practical test in Delhi, India.

It was very simple, here I am briefing :

1. Safe disconnection procedure, you need to perform
2. DOL starter wiring and fault finding in same.
3. House wiring in PVC conduit (2 way switch, and 5A socket). Material and dimensions were provided by Vetassess.

I hope this is useful to you.
Old Apr 2nd 2019, 9:54 am
Just Joined

CheddarAVFC is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Guys,

I am about to take my skill assessment test with Victoria Uni in Melbourne next week and was wondering if any of you legends have done it there? If so, was it hard and what did they want? the criteria email i have is pretty extensive and could never be tested in only one day and has only made me a very nervous chappie. Any pointers or tips would be a massive help. Thanks
Old Apr 4th 2019, 2:13 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CheddarAVFC
Hey Guys,

I am about to take my skill assessment test with Victoria Uni in Melbourne next week and was wondering if any of you legends have done it there? If so, was it hard and what did they want? the criteria email i have is pretty extensive and could never be tested in only one day and has only made me a very nervous chappie. Any pointers or tips would be a massive help. Thanks
It's a few years back, but I did mine there after an initial stuff up (had a technical interview for visa but needed prac for licensing). The theory test was basic AC and DC theory (IV watts and V=IR, etc, as well as some three phase), there was the DOL motor starter, analysis of a transformer, Isolation, disconnect, reconnect and restore of a pump so looking for you to check DOR and prove dead. Then a basic lighting and power board and testing. One of the circuits has an offset bend in PVC conduit but the rest was straight forward.

Overall, I think about a third fail on something but they don't tell you and you do the whole day regardless of where you stuff up I think. The guys taking the assessment though were pretty helpful though and tried to offer encouragement to get you through.
Old Apr 7th 2019, 3:59 am
Just Joined

CheddarAVFC is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
It's a few years back, but I did mine there after an initial stuff up (had a technical interview for visa but needed prac for licensing). The theory test was basic AC and DC theory (IV watts and V=IR, etc, as well as some three phase), there was the DOL motor starter, analysis of a transformer, Isolation, disconnect, reconnect and restore of a pump so looking for you to check DOR and prove dead. Then a basic lighting and power board and testing. One of the circuits has an offset bend in PVC conduit but the rest was straight forward.

Overall, I think about a third fail on something but they don't tell you and you do the whole day regardless of where you stuff up I think. The guys taking the assessment though were pretty helpful though and tried to offer encouragement to get you through.
Cheers Old Sparkles you are a gent, sounds pretty straightforward but i know it's gonna be a long intense day once we get into it. What do you mean bye DOR bud?
Old Apr 7th 2019, 4:11 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CheddarAVFC
Cheers Old Sparkles you are a gent, sounds pretty straightforward but i know it's gonna be a long intense day once we get into it. What do you mean bye DOR bud?
I don't think so

Oh and DOR is direction of rotation (old school or welsh or both )
Old Apr 7th 2019, 4:40 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Sparkles is the female equivalent of a gent
Old May 18th 2019, 6:54 am
Just Joined

Spark2Perth is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone

I'm just going through the process of emigration, early stages. One of my main concerns is spending all this money on emigration, and not being able to get work. Would you say there's plenty of work out there? And opportunity as a TA to get portfolio done? Employers willing to help out UK electricians?

Looking at a 189 to WA on 70 points or 190 to adelaide sponsored on 75 points. My agent says better chance on 190 although would prefer the 189 as have family in WA.

Cheers

Dave
Old May 19th 2019, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by Spark2Perth
Hi everyone

I'm just going through the process of emigration, early stages. One of my main concerns is spending all this money on emigration, and not being able to get work. Would you say there's plenty of work out there? And opportunity as a TA to get portfolio done? Employers willing to help out UK electricians?

Looking at a 189 to WA on 70 points or 190 to adelaide sponsored on 75 points. My agent says better chance on 190 although would prefer the 189 as have family in WA.

Cheers

Dave
Can't help with WA but I've not had an issue with finding work - the guys at Peer here in Adelaide are a great help too.

That said, some companies seem to have pretty slow hiring processes so do make sure you have enough to cover at least 3 or 4 months of being out of work.

Another curve call could be NSW who allow unlicensed sparkies on job sites as you are deemed to be under supervision of the site controller (or something like that)

Whats your background?
Old May 20th 2019, 4:26 am
Just Joined

Spark2Perth is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that, just looked up Peer. Seems promising.

I qualified as an electrician in 2004, worked for a company from 99 to 08. Then I've run my own company since.

I have my 2391, 17th edition and Solar PV small scale.

Most work I've done is domestic or light commercial. Dado, conduit, trunking, fault finding, rewires, DBs, condition reports, lighting upgrades etc.

Worked in care homes, fire stations, police stations, schools, large high end houses, normal domestic etc

Last edited by Spark2Perth; May 20th 2019 at 4:30 am.
Old May 21st 2019, 12:03 am

Originally Posted by Spark2Perth
Thanks for that, just looked up Peer. Seems promising.

I qualified as an electrician in 2004, worked for a company from 99 to 08. Then I've run my own company since.

I have my 2391, 17th edition and Solar PV small scale.

Most work I've done is domestic or light commercial. Dado, conduit, trunking, fault finding, rewires, DBs, condition reports, lighting upgrades etc.

Worked in care homes, fire stations, police stations, schools, large high end houses, normal domestic etc
I see quite a few jobs advertised around here, but also get some for other states from Skills Shortage Solutions who also sometimes have sponsored opportunities particularly in NSW.

If you do head to SA, send us a pm and I can give you some info on Peer and migrant services who quite often pay for the gap training for you.