Go Back   British Expats / Working Abroad / Working Abroad by Profession / Electricians

Old Apr 19th 2017, 7:00 am   #466
Just Joined

woody2709 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: practical exam theory

At the downunder centre if you fail a part you have to resit the whole exam I believe and the assessor on the day gives you plenty of push to help you get the right answers, but won't give you them directly. Also he gives you the heads up on the day about pass or fail. Revise your college theory aswell as general electrical knowledge about how electricity works etc, and reasons for types of motor systems and your DOL diagram. This needs a remote start stop, local stop, thermal overload connected to the same coil for the contactors etc
woody2709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th 2017, 7:03 am   #467
Just Joined

ryan1992 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody2709 View Post
At the downunder centre if you fail a part you have to resit the whole exam I believe and the assessor on the day gives you plenty of push to help you get the right answers, but won't give you them directly. Also he gives you the heads up on the day about pass or fail. Revise your college theory aswell as general electrical knowledge about how electricity works etc, and reasons for types of motor systems and your DOL diagram. This needs a remote start stop, local stop, thermal overload connected to the same coil for the contactors etc
Perfect thanks for the reply, that's the part I'm least confident about the motor most of the work I do is donestic so not much experience with motors. Although I had to wire one up in my trades test. Do you have a DOL diagram that's useful?
Thanks again
ryan1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th 2017, 12:34 am   #468
still chillin'

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan1992 View Post
Perfect thanks for the reply. I'll get in touch with the down under centre and ask them a few more questions aswell. They also sell a book it's £50 and they recommend it if you need to brush up on anything before the assessment. Has anyone purchased this?
No, but I do industrial maintenance so the theory and motors, etc was all good. My biggest worry was the domestic testing as I didn't really do enough to know the order of the tests, best ways of getting it done quickly, etc. At the end of the day, it was worrying about nothing as was straight forward.
old.sparkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th 2017, 8:58 am   #469
Just Joined

Quote:
Originally Posted by old.sparkles View Post
No, but I do industrial maintenance so the theory and motors, etc was all good. My biggest worry was the domestic testing as I didn't really do enough to know the order of the tests, best ways of getting it done quickly, etc. At the end of the day, it was worrying about nothing as was straight forward.

No worries. Iv ordered the book from the down under centre won't hurt I suppose. Test in two weeks fingers crossed. Thanks for the replies
Old Apr 25th 2017, 6:48 pm   #470
Just Joined

Can anyone confirm if this is the circuit diagram that you have to draw at the skill assessment. Thanks
Old Apr 27th 2017, 10:32 pm   #471
still chillin'

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan1992 View Post
Can anyone confirm if this is the circuit diagram that you have to draw at the skill assessment. Thanks https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...40457aa2d8.jpg
That looks like it would work. There will be many ways to draw it though, all roughly the same. Not keen on 400V control though - I guess that would depend on the coil of the contactor given, and in practice is not something I come across regularly - particularly if sending it out to remote start / stops and that is one change you may have to make - the addition of second start/stop if asked.
old.sparkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st 2017, 8:56 pm   #472
D1DAN 
Just Joined

D1DAN is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the passed posts they helped me get the right study information and pass 👏🏻, Definitely recommend studying, all the pass posts are true and still up to date on what's required on the day.

Thanks down under centre London
D1DAN is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   British Expats / Working Abroad / Working Abroad by Profession / Electricians