practical exam theory

Old Nov 22nd 2015, 7:28 pm
Just Joined

oldie2015 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: practical exam theory

Originally Posted by lucas1807
Yes I am going for citizenship. I done mine in London also with a company called vetassess. Didn't do anything on resistors. I done practical wiring up a board switches etc. Safe isolation. Theory and a bit on motors. What company are you doing it with then ??
It's with TRA I think but I've heard of vetassess. You didn't have to do this technical interview then? What theory side did you do? I've asked the migration team I'm going through what the assessment procedure is and what parts there are to it but they dont seem to be able to tell me.
Old Nov 22nd 2015, 8:53 pm
Just Joined

lucas1807 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by oldie2015
It's with TRA I think but I've heard of vetassess. You didn't have to do this technical interview then? What theory side did you do? I've asked the migration team I'm going through what the assessment procedure is and what parts there are to it but they dont seem to be able to tell me.
Are you going for citizenship because I thought the only company that does it now is vetassess but I might be wrong. No technical interview and just general questions bit of ohms law resistors in series and parallel bit of 3 phase calcs. Stuff that would have been learned at college.
Old Nov 23rd 2015, 8:29 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oldie2015
Originally Posted by lucas1807
Are you going for citizenship because I thought the only company that does it now is vetassess but I might be wrong. No technical interview and just general questions bit of ohms law resistors in series and parallel bit of 3 phase calcs. Stuff that would have been learned at college.
Some countries do a migration skills assessment with TRA and some use a TRA recognised RTO (Registered Training Organistation) and are issued with an OTSR (Overseas Technical Skills Record) under the OSAP (Offshore Skills Assessment Process). Electricians from the following countries go through OSAP - ​China (incl Hong Kong and Macau), Fiji, India, Ireland, Philippines, South Africa, United Kingdom, Vietnam. Info here - http://www.tradesrecognitionaustrali...s/default.aspx

There are 3 recognised RTO's - Vetassess is the longest standing and most familiar but there is also Victoria University and Future Skills. If you already hold an Australian electrical workers license in any state you can miss the practical assessment in favour of a technical interview but for most overseas applicants the process will be tradeset report, qualification and experience assessment followed by practical assessment including theory section if successful.

Citizenship is nothing to do with the visa process. The visa issued can be PR (Permanent Resident) like 189, 190, etc. or TR (Temporary Resident) like 489. To qualify for citizenship you need to be legally resident in Australia for 4 years of which a minimum of 1 year must be as a PR. You are allowed absences up to 12 months in that time, as long as you have no more than 90 days in the 12 months preceding application. Your skills assessment has nothing to do with citizenship - it is only necessary for the visa process.

Last edited by old.sparkles; Nov 23rd 2015 at 8:31 am.
Old Dec 21st 2015, 5:26 am
Just Joined

scottyh89 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bigshot1986
Ive altered it to match Dunes this should be right im thnking
Hi mate,

Is this the schematic that you used in the exam?. I have my exam tomorrow in Sydney.
Old Dec 22nd 2015, 7:23 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottyh89
Hi mate,

Is this the schematic that you used in the exam?. I have my exam tomorrow in Sydney.
It's about right - you need to be able to draw the circuit from memory though.

good luck for tomorrow
Old Jan 1st 2016, 6:34 am
Just Joined

andydownunder is an unknown quantity at this point
Default vetassess electrical practical assessment

Hi there,

I'm preparing for the vetassess electrical practical assessment and was wondering if somebody could clarify some of my questions.

1. Does anyone know if the disconnection / re-connection procedure in the Vetassess guide booklet has to be followed step by step?
When I read through the disconnection process I recognised that the protective device should be isolated in step 16 and not at the beginning.
Wouldn't it be safer to de-energise the equipment conductors first and preform all measurements afterwards?

2. What are your experience with the PEES document? Did you fill in as much as possible or only the basics?

I would be grateful to hear from anyone who may be able to help!

Cheers,
Andy
Old Jan 1st 2016, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

shaw86 has a reputation beyond reputeshaw86 has a reputation beyond reputeshaw86 has a reputation beyond reputeshaw86 has a reputation beyond reputeshaw86 has a reputation beyond reputeshaw86 has a reputation beyond reputeshaw86 has a reputation beyond reputeshaw86 has a reputation beyond reputeshaw86 has a reputation beyond reputeshaw86 has a reputation beyond reputeshaw86 has a reputation beyond repute

1. Does anyone know if the disconnection / re-connection procedure in the Vetassess guide booklet has to be followed step by step?
When I read through the disconnection process I recognised that the protective device should be isolated in step 16 and not at the beginning.
Wouldn't it be safer to de-energise the equipment conductors first and preform all measurements afterwards?

Do the Safe Isolation Procedure Exactly as per the document provided. In my scenario i was presented with a spur that was required to be isolated, and a Distribution Board which was not local to the Spur. The reason you do not isolate first is that they want to see you follow all the correct procedures of identifying the circuit, proving your test equipment is functional, and most importantly you do not walk away from the "spur" to isolate a circuit in the distribution board and leaving exposed live parts for an unskilled person to come into contact with. Also look out for any curve balls they throw at you while you are working as i seen a couple of lads fall for "your boss is phoning you and you need to leave the site and go outside to speak to him" which they all did laving the front cover off a live fused spur.

2. What are your experience with the PEES document? Did you fill in as much as possible or only the basics?

If this is the Electives then from Memory you only complete the sections required which i think is one from each section? Some people only wrote a small paragraph for each, whereas i wrote 2 pages for mine and also provided evidence such as drawings and test sheets. Its down to you how much info you provided but i went on the safe side and wrote as much as i could. Also remember that the Electives are handed in prior to the assessment. Some lads on my Assessment time slot had not completed theirs and wasted some practical time writing theirs out.

Hope this helps

regards,

Ian
Old Jan 1st 2016, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

shaw86 has a reputation beyond reputeshaw86 has a reputation beyond reputeshaw86 has a reputation beyond reputeshaw86 has a reputation beyond reputeshaw86 has a reputation beyond reputeshaw86 has a reputation beyond reputeshaw86 has a reputation beyond reputeshaw86 has a reputation beyond reputeshaw86 has a reputation beyond reputeshaw86 has a reputation beyond reputeshaw86 has a reputation beyond repute

My Original Post when i Sat the Vetassess Assessment

For all Electricians waiting to take the Practical the biggest piece of advise i can give is to read all the information in this thread and prepare. Below is a description of each section of the Vetassess practical Exam.

Safe Isolation/Disconnection/Reconnection

The scenario given was an electrical heater in a kitchen had given someone a shock and we were there to check it. All i can say in this is to read the procedure given to you in the candidate booklet and learn it all by heart. I wrote the scenario in the candidate guide a couple of times until i was able to write it step by step without looking in the guide. This is a good way of memorizing the procedure how they want to see it. Remember to test your testers every time before and after you use them and also to check the appliance frame to ensure it is not live before starting. Before you reconnect the appliance you were required to test the CPC continuity and insulation resistance noting the maximum values allowed, your results and then pass or fail. I heard the assessor throw in a couple of additional scenarios to some of the other lads such as your boss is phoning you and you need to go outside to take the call. He was trying to see if you left the installation in a dangerous condition i.e exposed live connections or you hadnt locked off the mcb and left your warning signs on.

Motor

Firstly the assessor will write into your work book either star or delta. Once he has written down which one you are required to draw out the symbol for the motor connections and identify the winding connections i.e u1, u2, v1, v2, w1, w2. Next step was to draw out the connections for the given motor i.e star is L1 - U1, L2 - V1, L3 - W1, and then W2 - U2 - V2 and for Delta L1 - U1, L2 - V1, L3 - W1, and then W2 - U1, U2 - V1, V2 - W1. After you have done this you have to label up 4 components in the control circuit which were start, stop, thermal overload, and a normally open contact (Revise what the symbols look like) and then draw out the DOL motor control circuit using the symbols and make sure you number the connections as i did that and the assessor was pleased i had done it and it shows you have knowledge of motor control circuits. Once you had filled in your workbook as above you was taken over to a whiteboard with the motor control components fixed on and you were to wire the control circuit you had drawn out with plug in leads. Once you have proved the circuit is correct and it works the assessor will put a fault on the control circuit. Mine was the start and stop connections were switched so the connections 1 & 2 became my start and 3 & 4 became my stop. You got a bell set so i found this be belling out the pin connections to the contacts. I can honestly say this is the section i dreaded most but i read all the info given and revised the drawing schematics on this thread and i can say i found it quite straight forward. There was a guy who said to the assessor i dont know anything about motors and i think he didnt get far with the drawing. I dont do much motor installation at work but i revised and found it easy so the tip is revise.

Multiple Choice Exam

This section is self explanatory. You have six sections of 4 questions where you are required to get 3 out of 4 in each section. The book for electrical calculations level 2 and 3 are highly recommended for your revision. It will also help if you can transpose equations also as there were a couple of questions where this was required and i struggled with. All equations/formulas were given at the back of your workbook.

Practical

First thing you do is do a risk assessment in your workbook of all the tasks carried out i.e safe isolation, motor, and the practical. Then you start with the Very straight forward practical installation section. Conusmer unit with a straight piece of PVC conduit to a socket outlet wired in a 2.5mm radial, lighting circuit with 2 x 2 way switches partially wired in T&E Cable clipped direct and partially in 1.5mm singles in PVC conduit. Between the switches you are to do a double set in your PVC conduit as there is a difference in height of your switches by 50mm. Practice bending PVC conduit as you do not get a vice or former you bend it over your knee. Main Earth is a mm taken from a copper pipe which is acting as your earth electrode. Once you have completed the installation you are required to test earth continuity and insulation resistance of the installation and note your readings, also stating minimum values acceptable and if it passess or fails. Then its time to power up and check you have wired your lighting circuit correctly and your switches operate correctly. Once the assessor takes measurements of the installation ensuring you have followed the drawing given you are told to disconnect the supply and strip it all out.

The day was very intense and i was bricking it but if you prepare you will walk it. The assessor was really nice and approachable and he is accompanied by a local expert which is a tutor from the college. The college tutor is the one who does the safe isolation procedure and he throws in the odd hint about making sure you test the appliance before starting and once re energized.
Old Jan 1st 2016, 9:01 am
Just Joined

andydownunder is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Ian for your quick reply
Old Feb 4th 2016, 7:12 am
Just Joined

Canucksparky is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Doca
Hi everyone, thanks for all the good info. I am busy working through it as I have my practical with Future Skills at the end of the month. I am hoping to chat to someone about the practical through Future Skills specifically- did anyone do it at the end of Feb that will be happy to shed more light?
How did you go with the future skills assessment? I am doing mine in 2 weeks in Brisbane. Any advice?

Originally Posted by Lw2310
Hi
I was wondering if anyone has recently completed the skills assessment with 'Future Skills International' in Brisbane, I am booked to do mine at the end of the month and was wondering if anyone could give some useful information what I need to read up on and what is involved.

Cheers
How did you go with the future skills assessment? I am doing mine in 2 weeks in Brisbane. Any advice?

Last edited by old.sparkles; Feb 4th 2016 at 7:24 am.
Old Feb 7th 2016, 1:29 am
Just Joined

samchris is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

My question, is there anyone who have done the vetassess practical assessment recently in melbourne ? if so, does the candidate guide of the following met the expected exam ?

candidate guide:

1 From a given specification design, carry out and complete a functioning light
and power installation within a specified time frame using safe working
techniques

2 From a diagram design, connect and fault find a direct on line (DOL) starter
and three phase motor circuit

3 Write answers to questions on a variety of topics including but not limited to:
o electrical units
o conversion of electrical units
o conductors and insulators
o identification of electrical symbols
o simple electrical problems using Ohm’s Law

4 Use a variety of test instruments including insulation and resistance testers and digital meters to test a given installation, verify compliance or noncompliance
and record results.

5 Perform a disconnect/reconnect of electrical equipment safely

regards
Old Feb 7th 2016, 1:34 am

Originally Posted by samchris
Hi all,

My question, is there anyone who have done the vetassess practical assessment recently in melbourne ? if so, does the candidate guide of the following met the expected exam ?

candidate guide:

1 From a given specification design, carry out and complete a functioning light
and power installation within a specified time frame using safe working
techniques

2 From a diagram design, connect and fault find a direct on line (DOL) starter
and three phase motor circuit

3 Write answers to questions on a variety of topics including but not limited to:
o electrical units
o conversion of electrical units
o conductors and insulators
o identification of electrical symbols
o simple electrical problems using Ohm’s Law

4 Use a variety of test instruments including insulation and resistance testers and digital meters to test a given installation, verify compliance or noncompliance
and record results.

5 Perform a disconnect/reconnect of electrical equipment safely

regards
Hi there and welcome

I don't think the test changes unless there are changes to legislation / rules / etc

On point 2, you need to design the circuit usually with start / stop circuit.

If you get a disconnect / reconnect of a motor, don't forget to start it first to check rotation
Old Feb 7th 2016, 1:45 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Hi there and welcome

I don't think the test changes unless there are changes to legislation / rules / etc

On point 2, you need to design the circuit usually with start / stop circuit.

If you get a disconnect / reconnect of a motor, don't forget to start it first to check rotation
Thanks old.sparkles.

on point 1 do you have any idea what kind of specific wiring system would be?
Old Feb 7th 2016, 2:25 am

Originally Posted by samchris
Thanks old.sparkles.

on point 1 do you have any idea what kind of specific wiring system would be?
When I did mine, it was just a small board set up. There was two way switching on the lighting circuit. There was also some conduit to fit with offset bend. All basic domestic stuff so both power and lighting need to be RCD protected.
Old Feb 7th 2016, 2:31 am
Just Joined

Default Re: vetassess electrical practical assessment

Originally Posted by andydownunder
Hi there,

I'm preparing for the vetassess electrical practical assessment and was wondering if somebody could clarify some of my questions.

I would be grateful to hear from anyone who may be able to help!

Cheers,
Andy
Hello andy,

I am also preparing for vetassess skill assessment in melbourne. i am wondering if you already took the assessment ??

cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.