practical exam theory

Old Aug 7th 2014, 11:03 am
Just Joined

Gems81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: practical exam theory

Sorry I just thought it would have been easier to go through it with u.
I'll get my email up and tell u wot the assessor said in the review. It wasn't much and just confused me.
Ps. I was at the right hand side of assessor.
Old Aug 7th 2014, 2:40 pm
Forum Regular

shaw86 has a reputation beyond reputeshaw86 has a reputation beyond reputeshaw86 has a reputation beyond reputeshaw86 has a reputation beyond reputeshaw86 has a reputation beyond reputeshaw86 has a reputation beyond reputeshaw86 has a reputation beyond reputeshaw86 has a reputation beyond reputeshaw86 has a reputation beyond reputeshaw86 has a reputation beyond reputeshaw86 has a reputation beyond repute

No probs let me know what he said and I'll see if I can help. Are you the lad from Leeds?
Cheers
Ian
Old Aug 7th 2014, 6:53 pm
Just Joined

I am yes pal, Im on wife's login details.
This is wot they have said,

You did not verify compliance and functionality. The insulation resistance and earth continuity tests on the electrical installation were not carried out correctly.

I checked it all and tested it but didn't write down the results, is this the fail? plus did they say u couldn't turn the power off?

And the next one;
Electrical control; fault finding and repair. the motor control circuit was not correctly connected and you did not identify the fault.

Did you hear and smell the burning of a contactor from the guy before me, i went in after wired it right even the assessor did and it didn't stay in. Due to this he signed me off this section as a pass, so I'm really confused.

Im booked on again in september.
Cheers
Dave.
Old Aug 7th 2014, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

shaw86 has a reputation beyond reputeshaw86 has a reputation beyond reputeshaw86 has a reputation beyond reputeshaw86 has a reputation beyond reputeshaw86 has a reputation beyond reputeshaw86 has a reputation beyond reputeshaw86 has a reputation beyond reputeshaw86 has a reputation beyond reputeshaw86 has a reputation beyond reputeshaw86 has a reputation beyond reputeshaw86 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Dave,
I was sat opposite you in the booth on the very end.

The safe isolation part you fill in your minimum allowable insulation resistance value for the portable appliance and the minimum allowed value for the continuity of the CPC between the terminals and the frame of the equipment. These were in the workbook provided and the tutor should have indicates to you that these were required to be filled in.

As for the motor section I'm stumped. If it was marked off as a pass then this is what should have happened, but it may be down to your drawing of the circuit, the labelling of the parts of the circuit or drawing the connections ilof star/delta as these all form part of that section of the test.

By the way how did you get on in your IElTS test?

Cheers
Ian
Old Aug 7th 2014, 7:08 pm
Forum Regular

Alternatively for the motor did he put a fault on the circuit once wired? If you could not identify the fault then that could be the reason.
Cheers
Ian
Old Aug 7th 2014, 7:19 pm
Just Joined

I was never told to write the maximums into the book. Will be doing that next time.

He never got round to putting the fault in as the contactor was faulty and just wouldn't stay in even though it was wired correct. We did it 3 times so in the end he just signed it off?? I asked for a review on this as I didn't think it was fair but was just told to do it again!!

Had my second attempt at the ielts test last Saturday can't get above 6 on reading and listening!!

Cheers
Old Aug 7th 2014, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: practical exam theory

The workbook is part of the evidence towards your final assessment for each discipline so it needs to be completed.

Go again and at least you know what to expect. Surprised about the motor part though as I cannot see why you did not pass from what you are saying.

I took my IELTS last Saturday. Fingers crossed I get the 7's I need!
Old Aug 7th 2014, 9:18 pm
Just Joined

Cheers pal.
I'm hoping I just need to do them parts that I failed.
Did u get told u couldn't turn the supply off to the tubular heater?

Good luck
Old Aug 8th 2014, 5:54 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gems81
Cheers pal.
I'm hoping I just need to do them parts that I failed.
Did u get told u couldn't turn the supply off to the tubular heater?

Good luck
I think you'll find you have to do everything again. When I did mine most of the guys were doing it for the second time and I think one was on his 3rd attempt. Did my prac here in Australia and only 2 of us didn't have a license, so those guys repeating it were licensed sparks here looking for PR. Now they've changed it so if you already have a license you don't have to do the prac and get a tech interview instead.

Have a look online for practice IELTS tests if it helps but fingers crossed you get the score you need this time.
Old Aug 8th 2014, 7:49 am
Just Joined

bigshot1986 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey shaw 86 i have my exam monday with future skills in brisbane was supposed be september so am now in abit of a flap ha,was just wandering if you have the schematic you drew out,im pretty sure mine is correct im just abit concerned as my return path is not neutral but l2 for the control circuit i was under theimpression that if you use 230v control then the coil would have to be 230v aswell i think im reading into it too much but fail to prepare prepare to fail and all that just want to make sjre im correct also any other information from anyone would be greatly apreciated the links ive tried to use seem not to be working
Old Aug 8th 2014, 7:54 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigshot1986
Hey shaw 86 i have my exam monday with future skills in brisbane was supposed be september so am now in abit of a flap ha,was just wandering if you have the schematic you drew out,im pretty sure mine is correct im just abit concerned as my return path is not neutral but l2 for the control circuit i was under theimpression that if you use 230v control then the coil would have to be 230v aswell i think im reading into it too much but fail to prepare prepare to fail and all that just want to make sjre im correct also any other information from anyone would be greatly apreciated the links ive tried to use seem not to be working
Did you have a look at the drawing in the post I linked to in the other thread?

If you have a 230V coil and your control is L1 to L2 you'll blow the coil - that's going to put 415V through it. That's also going to put 415 on all the buttons. You need to return to neutral.
Old Aug 8th 2014, 7:59 am
Just Joined

In the other thread i posted in?ill have a look now yeah that was my thinking i dont have much dealings with motors and everything i seemed to find on the internet poi ted to l2 being the return path thats why ide like to see a diff drawing i cant find one anywere were neutral is the return path but i just had it in my head that that was right
Old Aug 8th 2014, 8:07 am

In the other thread i posted in?ill have a look now yeah that was my thinking i dont have much dealings with motors and everything i seemed to find on the internet poi ted to l2 being the return path thats why ide like to see a diff drawing i cant find one anywere were neutral is the return path but i just had it in my head that that was right
When you've gone through the stops. starts, OL and coil just draw the return to neutral rather than going to L2.
Old Aug 8th 2014, 8:09 am
Just Joined

Yeah thats what ive done that other drawing seems abit messy how do i go about uploading a picture on here it asked me for a url?????
Old Aug 8th 2014, 8:27 am

Yeah thats what ive done that other drawing seems abit messy how do i go about uploading a picture on here it asked me for a url?????
At the top of the reply box you should see a paper clip. If you click on that you should get an option to upload a file from your computer - and also to browse for the file.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.