practical exam theory

Old Jul 29th 2013, 9:10 pm
Just Joined

pturpin1 is just really nicepturpin1 is just really nicepturpin1 is just really nicepturpin1 is just really nicepturpin1 is just really nicepturpin1 is just really nicepturpin1 is just really nicepturpin1 is just really nice
Default Re: practical exam theory

Thanks steve'o this has helped so much! actually understand what is involved with DOL starters, Motors and schematics now. lifesaver!

Thanks again
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 10:40 am
Just Joined

Critch 83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sparkyjames
I sat the exam recently with Future Skills International and was going to post on here with regards to what the exam consisted of. I was super nervous before the exam and spent a lot of my time researching this thread before taking it.

Firstly the exam is nowhere near as intense as I thought the to assessors were both very helpful, although not giving you the answers to any questions they tended to push you in the right way.

The day consisted of 3 sections. A two hour theory exam, drawing a schematic and then wiring a DOL starter with an emergency stop and then second fixing a basic domestic setup with DB.

1. The DOL starter. This was the most worrying section for me but after all the research i had done it really wasn't that difficult. Make sure you know how to draw the schematic for a DOL starter three phase motor including the thermal overload and then also know how to draw the control circuit with thermal overload, emergency stop, stop and start. Someone on here explains exactly how to do this in very simple terms (follow that). Then you just need to wire the control circuit which if you revise you should be fine. After completing this you are asked to carry out the safe isolation procedure to isolate the 'faulty motor' they gave me a step by step guide of how to do this. I then had to do an IR test on the motor (remember to remove links between the windings as it's a star set-up). I then had to safely turn it all back on.

2. 'The dreaded theory.' This again wasn't too bad although I did need the full two hours. It's split into three section, 1 electrical knowledge 2. Health and Safety 3. Electrical theory. Revise everything found within this thread. A few questions on the differences between AC/DC, what are the advantages of using AC over DC for transmission etc. A few fault questions. Ohm's law is covered a few times as is I*V=W oh and voltage in DC parellel/series. A lot of questions that any spark should know like tools used on site and how to use safely. Then a couple of maths questions chucked in at the end all these had the equations but i'm not sure if they give everyone the same exam sheets.

3. The domestic practical. Firstly you have to select the correct cable to use and breaker, so just revise cable selection a bit. They do give you all the tables you will need. All I had to do was second fix a couple of switches, sockets, one cooker point, a fluorescent light with a one-way switch and then a DB. It was literally all wired for me. You then have to do all the dead test on the circuits. Following that you have a fault scenario which again was just a reverse polarity fault (remember they may change this every exam).

Like I said I was super nervous but found it all went well. I think any spark who does this exam and revises first should be fine.

If anyone reading this has any questions please don't hesitate to PM me. This site have been invaluable to me and I would like to put something back into it.

I hope this is of some help to you.

P.s I PASSED
Hi all, can anybody remember anymore of the theory side, calculations etc? Is the testing after the domestic practical quite in depth too? Not done my testing in England so wet behind the ears there. Steve
Old Sep 16th 2013, 4:00 pm
Just Joined

Dune is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello

Saturday 14th day after Friday 13.. Failed practical assesment , passed the theory and the practical DB with 2 circuits portion
failed safe isolation , failed DOL wiring , I did the circuit diagram perfectly but couldnt as i have zero experience on DOL wire it up
I did take a photo of the test bench

I have attached the photo of the test bench

I also got absolutely Zero leeway from this instructor so please do not listen to everything you hear on here . the instructors are not generic or from Australia or all nice and rosy .

I wired this stop / start / thermal overload / no Open ./ coil

I got it wrong ive had many looks at different wiring diagrams of this and do need drastic help as I will not give up and now am going to do my re sit as soon as i can , another £200

I would like to be in Aus before mid july next year , is this possible once i get , godwilling a positive outcome by middle / end of Dec 2013 ?????

I also failed on minimal insulation values , for the last 10 yars I thought minimal was 2Mohms on new instal and 1M ohm on old instal , apparently not

Please message me
Attached Thumbnails practical exam theory-20130914_122531%5B1%5D.jpg  
Old Sep 16th 2013, 4:34 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dune
Hello

Saturday 14th day after Friday 13.. Failed practical assesment , passed the theory and the practical DB with 2 circuits portion
failed safe isolation , failed DOL wiring , I did the circuit diagram perfectly but couldnt as i have zero experience on DOL wire it up
I did take a photo of the test bench

I have attached the photo of the test bench

I also got absolutely Zero leeway from this instructor so please do not listen to everything you hear on here . the instructors are not generic or from Australia or all nice and rosy .

I wired this stop / start / thermal overload / no Open ./ coil

I got it wrong ive had many looks at different wiring diagrams of this and do need drastic help as I will not give up and now am going to do my re sit as soon as i can , another £200

I would like to be in Aus before mid july next year , is this possible once i get , godwilling a positive outcome by middle / end of Dec 2013 ?????

I also failed on minimal insulation values , for the last 10 yars I thought minimal was 2Mohms on new instal and 1M ohm on old instal , apparently not

Please message me
What visa are you hoping to apply for?
Old Sep 16th 2013, 4:40 pm
Just Joined

Hello

I was hoping to get a general skilled migration visa
Please advise .special electrician.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 4:50 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Hello

I was hoping to get a general skilled migration visa
Please advise .special electrician.
Once you get through skills assessment, if you are applying for 189 visa, you are probably looking at late next year for visa depending on where in the world you are.

I can't make out what you did with the DOL wiring from your photo, but a couple of posts above in this thread you should find a drawing with explanation

Minimum insulation resistance is 1Meg here, but I thought UK was 0.5 Meg upto 500V, and 1Meg over that

What's your background?
Old Sep 16th 2013, 4:59 pm
Just Joined

Hello

Prompt response .I like .
House bashing mostly so dol not used at all last time 2003 in AM 2
In UK .figured that was the timeframe.Thanks .D
Old Sep 16th 2013, 5:04 pm

Hello

Prompt response .I like .
House bashing mostly so dol not used at all last time 2003 in AM 2
In UK .figured that was the timeframe.Thanks .D
I'm on a night shift here so ....
Old Sep 19th 2013, 4:02 pm
Just Joined

Hello All

I said I flunked practical last Saturday 14th , well I wasnt happy so I
re booked on the notion that I knew i had failed

any ways not content because as far as myself and the other guys I work with on site we have all agreed we do not agree with the Vettasses safe isolation procedure
It does not compute ... why would you start a broken motor to check it ??? firstly disconnect it and do an insulation test or test the windings but never ever start it firstly , my motor experience is also limited to scale electrix racing cars
secondly locking off after testing the voltage what is the point ?????????, lockoff to be done first then test for voltage .

I had a lovely polish lady examiner , too who said to me known earth which sounded like she was saying non earth , get English speaking people to invidulate my exam which I paid for to be tested in English and at that cost £875 a shot
also on the day it said determine location of appropriate device I fluffed this because there was a sticker which had been placed on the Db saying isolate CB 1 and 3 only , I isolated the main CB and thereby locked off the whole board
and then saw the sticker had bent in half , instant fail , also i assumed check protective device , i locked it off instead of just determining , the UK 2391 way , this was the opposite in my practical Aus vettasses exam , my mental block to this is what I attribute my failure to .

I actually am a house basher and make a living testing , ATM Im doing site supervision , but ordinarly I make my money testing and am alive after 10 years .Thanks to BS7671 Method

Anyway I wrote all this down and sent it to Vettasses to inform them their method WAS WRONG

They politely said someone would contact me , which they did

I got phoned 12.5 minute conversation by a gentleman today from Australia who asked me what I thought the correct isolation sequence should be , to which I said

1. Notify people you are going to start work
2. Check if turning off circuit breaker will affect services
3. Test voltage tester before
4. Test between earth and frame of appliance
5. Test voltage tester again
6. Write details of equipment and fill in danger tag
7. Test voltage on equipment L-N / L-E / N-E / E – frame
8. Fit warning sign , Find Circuit breaker
9. Isolate circuit breaker and apply lock
10. Test voltage tester
11. Test tubular heater for voltage /L-N /N-E / L- E / E – frame
12. Re test voltage tester
13. Clean up and notify people

This to me makes sense do not shout at the top of your lungs about a million different courses and how we all have to get this course and do that course and get this ticket if the access exam is taught incorrectly

The gentleman on the phone sounded like he agreed with me
I said that in SA where I was qualified and in the UK you would do it to this procedure with the exception of testing the frame , this by the way makes a lot of sense as blokes in SA never check the main earthing

anyway I plan to overcome no matter what

I await the outcome after they will get back to me soon ,

Dune
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 4:49 pm
Just Joined

hynesy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Everyone!

Thanks for all the posts - given me a good heads up for my exam in London on the 19th of Oct!

Im only 23 and only ever really worked in houses therefore sh*tting it about this exam especially the DOL and to be honest the theory!

As far as I understand with the DOL you have to safe isolate, wire to a diagram, be able to draw a basic DOL with start/stop and overload then re-energise?
Is this correct or am I missing alot???

Also what are the main subjects in the theory questions as I don't want to waste time revising unnecessary equations etc!

Any help would be much appreciated!!

Thanks Mark
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by hynesy
Hi Everyone!

Thanks for all the posts - given me a good heads up for my exam in London on the 19th of Oct!

Im only 23 and only ever really worked in houses therefore sh*tting it about this exam especially the DOL and to be honest the theory!

As far as I understand with the DOL you have to safe isolate, wire to a diagram, be able to draw a basic DOL with start/stop and overload then re-energise?
Is this correct or am I missing alot???

Also what are the main subjects in the theory questions as I don't want to waste time revising unnecessary equations etc!

Any help would be much appreciated!!

Thanks Mark
See other thread - just answered there for what we covered
Old Oct 3rd 2013, 7:24 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
See other thread - just answered there for what we covered
Format I will be learning for October 19 th exam in London
I will be there same day .Cheers .
Dune .
Attached Thumbnails practical exam theory-20131003_062012.jpg   practical exam theory-20131003_061821.jpg   practical exam theory-20131003_061746.jpg  
Old Oct 13th 2013, 9:47 pm
Just Joined

GAZZA77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Everyone
i am new to this site

I have my IELTS in december so any info on this would be great

Also have my skills test early next year and do not really know what to expect

Both these tests are for Australia so any info would be great
Old Oct 13th 2013, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by GAZZA77
Hi Everyone
i am new to this site

I have my IELTS in december so any info on this would be great

Also have my skills test early next year and do not really know what to expect

Both these tests are for Australia so any info would be great
Hi Gazza - are you in the UK?
Old Oct 13th 2013, 10:17 pm
Just Joined

hynesy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Gazza,

I had my IELTS a couple of months ago and to be honest it's nothing to worry about, English was never my favourite subject and I found it resonably easy. As long as you do the obvious paragraphs and punchuation you will be fine.

As for the practical I have mine Saturday so il let you know as much as I can after.

Good luck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.