practical exam theory

Old Sep 11th 2011, 7:32 pm
Just Joined

DonnySimon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: practical exam theory

Originally Posted by derren7
Hi Simon,
If you want to migrate to Australia permanently then you have to have your skills assessed by VETASSESS unless your a maintenance spark in which case you'll need your skills assessed by TRA. The TRA delegate offshore skills assessments to VETASSESS. Bear in mind that you can't do the 2 week course in Perth without the Offshore Technical Skills Record (OTSR) issued by VETASSESS on successful completion.
For more info on what to expect in the assessment follow this link www.britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=667546
Regards Derren
Ah thankyou soo much Darren. Yes looking to move permanently, been trying to for two years now, all my family are there and after wasting two grand on trying to go back on a family visa, getting sponsored by an employer is my quickest route, and I have contacted employers who are interested, they just want me to get my license sorted out too. Whats the procedure onshore? Is it easier? Just want to get back like yesterday and dont want to stay in the UK for evan longer trying to get this vetassess cert when I could do it there. Thanks for the link though, had a quick glance and it looks like just what i needed. I think doing it here and doing the 14 day course in Perth would be best route, heard the course there is a doddle. Just hope they run the courses here frequently enough. Good job you mentioned which one to use, I thought VETASSESS and TRA where just two organisations offering the same service, and I rang the college and they advised me it was TRA I needed to do, but im not a maintanance spark and Domestic and commercial, thats why these dol motor parts of the test have had me worrying. But now i know what to do, just need to get my head in books and get it stuck in there. Thanks again, you dont know how grateful I am. Cheers mate.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 7:37 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Holdrew
hi there
i have recently done my practical course so if you need any advice please dont hesitate to ask.
Also me and my girlfriend are moving to perth in jan or as soon as i can find a job and was wondering if anyone knows of companies that would be looking to take on. I have an off shore licence looking to get full licence as soon as i arrive
thanks
andy
Nice one mate, I'll have a look threw what's been described by someone else and if I need anything else I'll give you a shout. Only just found this website the other day, and wished I found it soo much sooner, its such a great idea. But for you mate, the best way to get in touch with companies that are taking on, just get on www.seek.com. Hundreds of jobs on there, with ya license ready, take ya pick mate. Me and my girlfriend are looking at moving to Perth at the same, just need to get this course organised and passed, and were off. Where did you do your practicul, in Blackburn too, hearing mentioned quite alot, Im based in Doncaster, south Yorkshire, hope theres one near here. How much did you pay for your course?
Old Sep 12th 2011, 2:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was a Londoner in Edinburgh... was a Jockney, now in Brisbane....I'm an ocker cockney
derren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by DonnySimon
Hi, Im Simon, an Electrician and out of my time years ago, so not looking forward to these exams, but will be definitely swotting up, really dont want to fail them and prolong the process. But this is where I am at, at the moment and if anyone knows of a better way to do it then please dont hold back.

Desperate to get back to perth as soon as I can. Im in UK now, about to arrange with TRA for a cert here, so I can sit a 14 day course in Perth at perth college to get my W.A license. I dont have a sponsor as yet, but spoke to a couple of potential employers and they seem keen, so im just going to go over next month on a 3 month visiting visa, sit the course and hopefully get onshore sponsoship so I can stay.

Im just wondering if anyone can tell me what the TRA test involves and how long it will take, Do they come out to site to see my work or do i just need to tell them everything about my work history and that will be enough? And all them links previously mentioned for what you need to revise on for the test, is that the test i will be taking at the end of the 14 day course in Perth or for TRA. Any help will be greatly apprciated, been struggling to get back to Perth for two years now, spent alot of cash on a wrong visa soo far, so really want to get this right first time. So thanks again guys for any of your help.
Hi Simon,
Just a word of caution. If you are going to Australia on a visitor's visa seeking to sit the course and find potential sponsors then the Immigration authorities may take a dim view on this. I suspect they will construe this as seeking to study and find employment on an inappropriate visa for which there would be some dire consequences. You don't want to muck up your plans for migration on an oversight. I would strongly urge you to contact the relevant authorities, namely DIAC and possibly CET, who run the course, and possibly Energy Safety, who issue the licence and give clearance to attend the course, to see if this is permitted.
Regards Derren
Old Sep 12th 2011, 8:31 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by derren7
Hi Simon,
Just a word of caution. If you are going to Australia on a visitor's visa seeking to sit the course and find potential sponsors then the Immigration authorities may take a dim view on this. I suspect they will construe this as seeking to study and find employment on an inappropriate visa for which there would be some dire consequences. You don't want to muck up your plans for migration on an oversight. I would strongly urge you to contact the relevant authorities, namely DIAC and possibly CET, who run the course, and possibly Energy Safety, who issue the licence and give clearance to attend the course, to see if this is permitted.
Regards Derren
Thanks mate, will get that checked out, Really cant afford to do things twice!! Ive spoken to energy safety though and they said it would be ok, but they also told me I needed to do TRA and not VETASSES, just depends on who you speak to I suppose.
Old Feb 11th 2012, 12:25 pm
Just Joined

paulgrossi83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys been having a read over the thread and it's very helpful.

I do however have a few questions regarding this vetassess and tea. I'm looking to emigrate with my partner and get a WA sponsorship. What's the best way to go about this??
Old Feb 12th 2012, 12:12 pm
Just Joined

paulgrossi83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by steve`o
Electrical Disconnection and Reconnection Process

Disconnection process to be demonstrated on the day of assessment.
(Steps in bold are critical in the process)

Personnel to be notified in immediate area that you are to commence disconnection and interruption to supply.

Will removal of protective devices affect essential services?
Test voltage tester at known 'LIVE' source for correct operation before use.

Ensure the frame of the equipment is not 'LIVE' by testing between frame/chassis and the known earth.

Test voltage tester at known 'LIVE' source for correct operation after use.

Take operational details of appliance. Eg. kW and voltage.

Take direction of rotation (DOR) of motor (where applicable).

Complete details on danger tags. Eg. Name, date, fault, etc.

Affix danger tags to isolation points. Eg. appliance, isolating switch, switchboard, etc.

Determine location of appropriate protective device.

Do not leave exposed 'LIVE' terminals/conductors at switchboard or appliance.
Test voltage tester at known 'LIVE' source for correct operation before use.

Before touching appliance conductors, test for 'LIVE' Test between - all conductors and known earth.

This test also includes testing for 'LIVE' between the protective earthing conductor and the known earth.

The appliance conductors must also be tested for 'LIVE' by testing between all conductors. This includes the protective earthing conductor.

Test voltage tester for correct operation on known 'LIVE' source after using it. (Fail only occurs when previous test indicated terminals/conductors were de-energised).

Isolate protective device by applying lock-dog and lock or inserting ‘dummy’ fuse wedge in fuse base.

Terminate conductors in approved manner and enclose in junction box. Cable ends must be fully insulated.

Affix Danger Tag to terminated conductors enclosed in junction box.

Ensure terminated conductors are protected against mechanical damage.

Clean up work area and notify personnel.

Reconnection process to be demonstrated on the day of assessment.
(Steps in bold are critical in the process)

Notify personnel of return to work site.

Ensure the appliance to be reconnected is of the same operational ratings. Eg. kW, amperes, voltage, etc.

Test Insulation Resistance & Continuity tester on both Meg Ohm (500V) and Ohm scale for correct operation.

Carry out the insulation resistance test of the appliance. Test between all active and neutral conductors to the earth contact of the appliance.
• Not containing sheathed heating elements – Not less than 1 Meg Ω
• Containing sheathed heating elements – Not less than 0.01 Meg Ω

Before touching final sub-circuit conductors, test for 'LIVE' Test between - all conductors and the known earth. This test also includes testing for 'LIVE' between the protective earthing conductor and the effective earth.

The final sub-circuit conductors must also be tested for 'LIVE' by testing between all conductors. This includes the protective earthing conductor.

Test voltage tester for correct operation on known 'LIVE' source after using it. (Fail only occurs when previous test indicated terminals/conductors were de-energised).

Reconnect final sub-circuit wiring to appliance terminals.

Carry out continuity test on final sub-circuit protective earthing conductor from effective earth to frame of appliance. (This test should be carried out after the circuit conductors have been connected to the equipment terminals and before the power has been restored).

Notify personnel of restoration of power.

Do not leave exposed 'LIVE' terminals/conductors at switchboard or appliance.

Remove lock, lock-dog and switch on circuit breaker or insert correct fuse wedge to restore power.

Check appliance for correct operation. Eg DOR. (Direction of Rotation).

Clean up work area and notify personnel.

Note: Testing the voltage tester for correct operation after use is critical when the candidate is going to touch the conductors/components on the belief they are de-energised.

Hi there Steve. Just wondering if you can clear up a few points on this vetassess isolation procedure document. I printed it Off and have been reading over. Personally I don't think it's very well explained at all. The sequence doesn't seem to flow very well in m opinion and the bit that is confusing me is --Test voltage tester for correct operation on known 'LIVE' source after using it. (Fail only occurs when previous test indicated terminals/conductors were de-energised).--
Surly the equipment is ment to be de energized so as safe to work on. Also whet it explains about terminating in then installing in a jb. It just doesn't seem to make and sense even the sequence it's been written out. I have been on safe isolation courses with Shell and BP and looked through the documents on their procedures and it's alot clearer.

Obviously I know you never write this but if anyone can explain it it better term I'd be very grateful. It's really starting to frustrate me why I can't make head nor tail of it.

Thanks

Paul
Old Mar 15th 2012, 7:09 pm
Just Joined

adamjohn is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there just about to sit my vetassess exam and they have sent me some more paper work to fill out. Its called ELECTIVES and they want to know about experience's. But the bit i don't understand is this.
With DC electical equipment briefly describe your experience and training in: (1) repair and faultfinding
(2) using different faultfinding techniques
(3) rectifying faults effectively.

Any ideas with this cause my head is about to explode this all this Vetassess!!!!
Old Apr 9th 2012, 1:07 pm
Banned

Ajay Kumar is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello
Thanks For Sharning Information Practical exam theory
Old May 6th 2012, 6:37 am
Forum Regular

brianK88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for sharing.
Nice info.
Old May 8th 2012, 5:10 am
Just Joined

pr 2712 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by steve`o
as past of the new vetesses route sparks have to do a practical exam of which approx half is theory hence the thread
Hi would like to know if any body has the Course schedule for the 5 day etl course at balcatta as i am take it on may the 14th and revising at the moment not sure what to revise did the white folder they give me and looking at the wiring rules now thanks.
Old May 16th 2012, 7:00 am
Just Joined

josh smith is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi my name is JOSH .I,ve been living in oz for two years.Decied to go back into the trade,carnt take anymore landscaap gardering. I,AM just wondering if theres anyone out there who has sat Vetassess electrical prac exam recently ? Booked in on the 29th of may All the peoples threads i,ve been reading are all people sitting there exams back home in the uk. i would like to catch up with someone who,s done th exam in oz???? please help THANKS

Last edited by josh smith; May 16th 2012 at 7:18 am.
Old May 16th 2012, 7:42 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by josh smith
Hi my name is JOSH .I,ve been living in oz for two years.Decied to go back into the trade,carnt take anymore landscaap gardering. I,AM just wondering if theres anyone out there who has sat Vetassess electrical prac exam recently ? Booked in on the 29th of may All the peoples threads i,ve been reading are all people sitting there exams back home in the uk. i would like to catch up with someone who,s done th exam in oz???? please help THANKS
http://britishexpats.com/forum/searc...archid=3164627

Old May 16th 2012, 8:00 am
Just Joined

Hi mate, thanks so much for your speedy response, however i am unable to open attachment. can you please try resend. would be muchly appreicaited
Old May 16th 2012, 7:10 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by josh smith
Hi mate, thanks so much for your speedy response, however i am unable to open attachment. can you please try resend. would be muchly appreicaited
use search at the top of the page and copy
Vetassess electrical practical exam
into the search box

good luck

steve
Old May 17th 2012, 9:39 am
Just Joined

Thanks mate

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.