practical exam theory

Old Aug 5th 2010, 2:01 pm
Just Joined

chisam is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Re: practical exam theory

Originally Posted by english reject
Have you tried you tube ????, it explains with video
Thanks mate but have found it difficult to find suitable stuff. All a bit scientific or it goes off to different topics. Thanks for you input though and if you happen to see anything a link would be much appreciated. Chisam
Old Aug 5th 2010, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

english reject will become famous soon enough
Default Re: practical exam theory

Chisam try these 2 sites I used them and thought they helped me a lot.

www.talkelectricianforum.co.uk
www.swindonmassive.co.uk ( this gives you lots of revision pages Q&A )

Regards ER

Last edited by english reject; Aug 5th 2010 at 6:40 pm.
Old Sep 12th 2010, 1:43 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

some dead basic info

http://www.energex.com.au/switched_o..._students.html
Old Nov 21st 2010, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

elect42 is on a distinguished road

Now to wire a DOL starter with thermal overload

Having researched quite abit as unsure now to wire a DOL 3 phase motor thermal overload here it is pictures and schematic good luck to all doing exam in December I am on the 3rd, hoping to lodge for visas before crimbo!

http://electrolesk.com/Work/Wiring%2...Contactors.htm

This helped me big time!!
Old Feb 24th 2011, 4:25 am
Account Closed

chris_at_forum is an unknown quantity at this point

hi folks

wondering what the current practical task in NSW might be, for the trade test?
1.) Do they want a circuit board installation with RCDs and so on,
2.) or is it a DOL installation?
3.) or something like: wire two sockets and a two way light in conduit and
connect to Consumer and Unit reverse a 3 phase motor

got a few unanswered questions:
- what can make the overloads operate when a star delta three phase motor starts?

- calculations on current in transformer, I assume N1/N2 = I1/I2
I assume its equal to the number of windings, double windings half current and so on

- what is the current rating of 2.5mm
- what is the current rating of 1.0mm?

thanks if you have an answer

Last edited by chris_at_forum; Feb 24th 2011 at 4:31 am.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 7:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

chris_at_forum

you may find its a mixed bag regarding the testing & installation.
there shall be a test in the UK before you get to Australia, then once here you must do a course to get ready for the australian standards (thats a joke).
however whatever test you do there shall be RCD's + maybe pvc conduit to double set over another conduit + switchboard wiring then moter connecting with DOL single phase normally + over load connections.

There is also a disconnect & reconnect of an appliance you must get this correct or you fail the entire lot.SAFETY all the way on this one mate.

current rating of 2.5mm T&E in australia is 27Amp max.(Spaced in the roof)
Touching a beam on one side = 26A. enclosed in conduit pvc in Air = 20Amp then if you have a rewirable fuse that then has a derating value.

1.00mm T&E Unenclosed.
15Amp
Touching = 14Amp
Enclosed in non metalic enclosure in Air circular cable copper 11Amp

(i would not use 1.00 T&E) use 1.5mm T&E
current rating of 1.5mm
spaced in air = 19Amp
Touching a beam on 1 x side only = 18Amp
In pvc conduit in Air (roof space) = 14Amp the values are all for copper cables.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 11:15 pm
Account Closed

chris_at_forum is an unknown quantity at this point

thank you Arthur!
1 and 2.5 mm current rating was a theory question of the ARTC test, not easy to answer
Old Jun 13th 2011, 9:58 am
Just Joined

daveash is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys, brilliant info.
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 7:50 am
Just Joined

asa.lumby is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear Steve

I failed my practical exam in London, last month,(gutted) been doing electrical work as a supervisor for 15 years but i think i need to study again, i think you recommended a book i could buy just to update me on a few things, what was it called??. Want to move to WA, Mandurah. Got my course booked again for the 18th July in Preston which is a bit nearer, but the expense again, got to pass this time. PS got the motor working but could not stop it, silly boy

many thanks
Asa
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

elect42 is on a distinguished road

Not nice failing something that you want so much, motor is quite easy when you know how it actually works was it star delta two stops two starts?

Hereis a wiring diagram I posted before

Now to wire a DOL starter with thermal overload

Having researched quite abit as unsure now to wire a DOL 3 phase motor thermal overload here it is pictures and schematic good luck to all doing exam in December I am on the 3rd, hoping to lodge for visas before crimbo!

http://electrolesk.com/Work/Wiring%2...Contactors.htm

This helped me big time!!

What way does that effect getting visa lodged?? new points scoring 1st july I dont think many trades will meet them from what Ive heard our qualifications dont score enough.But could be wrong!

Goodluck
Old Jul 9th 2011, 7:24 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Electrical Disconnection and Reconnection Process

Disconnection process to be demonstrated on the day of assessment.
(Steps in bold are critical in the process)

Personnel to be notified in immediate area that you are to commence disconnection and interruption to supply.

Will removal of protective devices affect essential services?
Test voltage tester at known 'LIVE' source for correct operation before use.

Ensure the frame of the equipment is not 'LIVE' by testing between frame/chassis and the known earth.

Test voltage tester at known 'LIVE' source for correct operation after use.

Take operational details of appliance. Eg. kW and voltage.

Take direction of rotation (DOR) of motor (where applicable).

Complete details on danger tags. Eg. Name, date, fault, etc.

Affix danger tags to isolation points. Eg. appliance, isolating switch, switchboard, etc.

Determine location of appropriate protective device.

Do not leave exposed 'LIVE' terminals/conductors at switchboard or appliance.
Test voltage tester at known 'LIVE' source for correct operation before use.

Before touching appliance conductors, test for 'LIVE' Test between - all conductors and known earth.

This test also includes testing for 'LIVE' between the protective earthing conductor and the known earth.

The appliance conductors must also be tested for 'LIVE' by testing between all conductors. This includes the protective earthing conductor.

Test voltage tester for correct operation on known 'LIVE' source after using it. (Fail only occurs when previous test indicated terminals/conductors were de-energised).

Isolate protective device by applying lock-dog and lock or inserting ‘dummy’ fuse wedge in fuse base.

Terminate conductors in approved manner and enclose in junction box. Cable ends must be fully insulated.

Affix Danger Tag to terminated conductors enclosed in junction box.

Ensure terminated conductors are protected against mechanical damage.

Clean up work area and notify personnel.

Reconnection process to be demonstrated on the day of assessment.
(Steps in bold are critical in the process)

Notify personnel of return to work site.

Ensure the appliance to be reconnected is of the same operational ratings. Eg. kW, amperes, voltage, etc.

Test Insulation Resistance & Continuity tester on both Meg Ohm (500V) and Ohm scale for correct operation.

Carry out the insulation resistance test of the appliance. Test between all active and neutral conductors to the earth contact of the appliance.
• Not containing sheathed heating elements – Not less than 1 Meg Ω
• Containing sheathed heating elements – Not less than 0.01 Meg Ω

Before touching final sub-circuit conductors, test for 'LIVE' Test between - all conductors and the known earth. This test also includes testing for 'LIVE' between the protective earthing conductor and the effective earth.

The final sub-circuit conductors must also be tested for 'LIVE' by testing between all conductors. This includes the protective earthing conductor.

Test voltage tester for correct operation on known 'LIVE' source after using it. (Fail only occurs when previous test indicated terminals/conductors were de-energised).

Reconnect final sub-circuit wiring to appliance terminals.

Carry out continuity test on final sub-circuit protective earthing conductor from effective earth to frame of appliance. (This test should be carried out after the circuit conductors have been connected to the equipment terminals and before the power has been restored).

Notify personnel of restoration of power.

Do not leave exposed 'LIVE' terminals/conductors at switchboard or appliance.

Remove lock, lock-dog and switch on circuit breaker or insert correct fuse wedge to restore power.

Check appliance for correct operation. Eg DOR. (Direction of Rotation).

Clean up work area and notify personnel.

Note: Testing the voltage tester for correct operation after use is critical when the candidate is going to touch the conductors/components on the belief they are de-energised.
Old Sep 10th 2011, 3:12 pm
Just Joined

DonnySimon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by docgp
some theory formulae that may be useful

Electrical Formulae
Hi, Im Simon, an Electrician and out of my time years ago, so not looking forward to these exams, but will be definitely swotting up, really dont want to fail them and prolong the process. But this is where I am at, at the moment and if anyone knows of a better way to do it then please dont hold back.

Desperate to get back to perth as soon as I can. Im in UK now, about to arrange with TRA for a cert here, so I can sit a 14 day course in Perth at perth college to get my W.A license. I dont have a sponsor as yet, but spoke to a couple of potential employers and they seem keen, so im just going to go over next month on a 3 month visiting visa, sit the course and hopefully get onshore sponsoship so I can stay.

Im just wondering if anyone can tell me what the TRA test involves and how long it will take, Do they come out to site to see my work or do i just need to tell them everything about my work history and that will be enough? And all them links previously mentioned for what you need to revise on for the test, is that the test i will be taking at the end of the 14 day course in Perth or for TRA. Any help will be greatly apprciated, been struggling to get back to Perth for two years now, spent alot of cash on a wrong visa soo far, so really want to get this right first time. So thanks again guys for any of your help.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 4:11 pm
Just Joined

DonnySimon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DonnySimon
Hi, Im Simon, an Electrician and out of my time years ago, so not looking forward to these exams, but will be definitely swotting up, really dont want to fail them and prolong the process. But this is where I am at, at the moment and if anyone knows of a better way to do it then please dont hold back.

Desperate to get back to perth as soon as I can. Im in UK now, about to arrange with TRA for a cert here, so I can sit a 14 day course in Perth at perth college to get my W.A license. I dont have a sponsor as yet, but spoke to a couple of potential employers and they seem keen, so im just going to go over next month on a 3 month visiting visa, sit the course and hopefully get onshore sponsoship so I can stay.

Im just wondering if anyone can tell me what the TRA test involves and how long it will take, Do they come out to site to see my work or do i just need to tell them everything about my work history and that will be enough? And all them links previously mentioned for what you need to revise on for the test, is that the test i will be taking at the end of the 14 day course in Perth or for TRA. Any help will be greatly apprciated, been struggling to get back to Perth for two years now, spent alot of cash on a wrong visa soo far, so really want to get this right first time. So thanks again guys for any of your help.
Hi again, Posted the previous paragraph before I read all the pages, so dont want to bug people by repeating themselves, but like someone else, I do learn alot better if i could see someone doing a DOL motor test. Really got my nerves going now, so wanna get it passed first time, I do feel like I should have a advantage knowing what ive learnt from this forum, but if anyone could show me some links of people preforming the kind of tests they want you to preform in the TRA test, that would be amazing. And as for the rest of it I should be fine thanks to you guys for showing me what i need to revise on. Cheers Simon
Old Sep 11th 2011, 5:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was a Londoner in Edinburgh... was a Jockney, now in Brisbane....I'm an ocker cockney
derren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by DonnySimon
Hi again, Posted the previous paragraph before I read all the pages, so dont want to bug people by repeating themselves, but like someone else, I do learn alot better if i could see someone doing a DOL motor test. Really got my nerves going now, so wanna get it passed first time, I do feel like I should have a advantage knowing what ive learnt from this forum, but if anyone could show me some links of people preforming the kind of tests they want you to preform in the TRA test, that would be amazing. And as for the rest of it I should be fine thanks to you guys for showing me what i need to revise on. Cheers Simon
Hi Simon,
If you want to migrate to Australia permanently then you have to have your skills assessed by VETASSESS unless your a maintenance spark in which case you'll need your skills assessed by TRA. The TRA delegate offshore skills assessments to VETASSESS. Bear in mind that you can't do the 2 week course in Perth without the Offshore Technical Skills Record (OTSR) issued by VETASSESS on successful completion.
For more info on what to expect in the assessment follow this link www.britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=667546
Regards Derren
Old Sep 11th 2011, 5:37 pm
Just Joined

Holdrew is an unknown quantity at this point

hi there
i have recently done my practical course so if you need any advice please dont hesitate to ask.
Also me and my girlfriend are moving to perth in jan or as soon as i can find a job and was wondering if anyone knows of companies that would be looking to take on. I have an off shore licence looking to get full licence as soon as i arrive
thanks
andy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.