Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

PEER Course (Adelaide, SA) - Details and information

PEER Course (Adelaide, SA) - Details and information

Old Sep 16th 2012, 1:16 pm
Now a Permanent Resident!

adam.markey2011 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default PEER Course (Adelaide, SA) - Details and information

Hi everyone

I have just successfully completed the PEER Wiring Rules course (10/09/12-13/09/2012) and thought I would write this thread to explain what the course is about, what it involves and hopefully answer any questions or concerns that you may have floating around in your head.

I enrolled on the 4 day course (correspondance course) that consists of 3 days of theory exams and 1 day for the practical test. Although there is a 7 day course, basically alot more classroom revision time with the same set of exams. Howev er, there has been talk that a new two week course format has been introduced, although I don't know anything about that. If your pretty good with the theory side, do the 4 day, if not I would reccommend the 7 day or 14 day course.

Before I explain and break down the course, I would just say that contrary to what some people have said about this course, you can easily fail it and leave without a licence. There is alot of talk on here that it is easy and the tutors help you through it and will not let you fail. That couldn't be further from the truth - well atleast with the tutor we had. Chris, and english guy himself, did not give anything away and 4 of the 10 lads on the course failed. One of the lads must have did that badly on one of the exams that after he handed his exam in to be marked, he sent him home and told him to revise and come back for a re-sit another day. Even after you get through the theory exams, you can still fail the practical exam if you incorrectly diagnose a fault. However, this is just my experience of one of the tutors, the others may be alot more lenient. If you do the workbook yourself and get to grips with it, you will be absolutely fine in the exams.

Areas to practice on are Cable Calculations (Current Carrying Capacity), Max Demand and generally navigating your way around the regulations. Although there is revision before all exams everyday, it is very fast moving and you still need a good grasp before you get there.

Regarding the PEER workbook, they don't check your answers to see if they are correct, but they quickly flick through your books to see you have attempted most of the questions. There are no questions on Section 10 and it wasn't even mentioned so I wouldn't worry.

Regarding exams, they are all written, paper exams, no multiple choice questions and there is an 80% pass mark for every exam. However, if you acheive 65 - 80%, you will qualify for a remedial (just re-do the questions you got wrong), although if you get 50% or lower, you have to do a re-sit of the whole exam, and this is usually on a friday, but if you pass most of your other exams you can do this on a thursday before your practical.

Bring a calculator, a ruler and coloured pencils. If not he will ask you to buy some!! Same goes if you forget your books. They have no spares at PEER.

The course is broken down as follows:

8.00am - 4.30pm everyday.

Monday

8am - 11am - Pre exam and revision

11am - 12pm - Lunch

12pm - 4.30pm - Exams A & B

Exam A

10 Questions and is just about definitions in Section 1 of the regs and an IP ratings question.

Exam B

18 Questions (75 marks) and a bit more involved.

Questions on Earth Fault Loop Impedance, calculating Zs, descrimination, basic and fault protection, disconnection times, overcurrent protection, main switches, MEN system, protective conductor types and sizes, earthing functions (FE nand PE), underground wiring systems and minimum seperation, equipment selection and shutting down for mechanical maintenance and automatic disconnection.

Obviously the papers will change but I'm just giving you a feel.

Tuesday

8am - 11am - Revision

11am - 12pm - Lunch

12pm - 4.30pm - Exams C & D

Exam C

This was another exam testing how good you can navigate the regulations and a bit on calcuating Zs. Just makesure you understand the Zs = Uo / Ia formula.

Exam D

This exam was all about Current Carrying Capacity. It involved questions on Max CSA, Volts Drop, Volts Drop as a %.

Wednesday

8am - 11am - Revision

11am - 12pm - Lunch

12pm - 4.30pm - Exam E

Exam E

This exam was on Maximum demand and a couple of questions on the regulations regarding maximum demand.

For this exam there was a question on a Single Phase Domestic Installation (Question 1 in the workbook) and a Three Phase Installation (Question 6 in the workbook). They are pretty keen on motors, arc welders and spot welders.

If you pass all exams you just come back for the practical on Thursday. However if you have remedials or re-sits, you wil do these on the Thursday before your practical - unless you fail again and then you will be going home.

Thursday

8am - Practical Exam

11am - 12pm - Lunch

1pm - 4.30pm - Practical exam

Practical Exam

This exam takes around 2 hours and you go in groups of three at a time. It is a testing and fault finding exam and you take your workbook and AS 3017 in with you.

You have to go through and conduct every test on an installation that is in Section 12 of the PEER workbook, excluding Test 9, the air-con system as there isn't one. Along the way you will come across some faults that the tutor will put on the installation. I had reverse polarity, an open circuits and a short circuit fault. You just have to write these down and correctly tell the tutor which fault it is when you find it. There are usually about 3 faults.

This exam isn't hard and the tutor told me to test as you normally would, and not to bother following the instructions in Section 12.

After you pass, you take your exam results to reception and wait for your certificate, then go to get your licence!! This is a 20 minute drive from PEER and it cost me $401. You need the following:

100 Points of ID (Passport = 70 points, Drivers licence = 40 etc)
ARTC
Wiring Regs Certificate

That is pretty much the course in a nutshell. I hope it helps and if you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Here is a list of the local hotels closest to PEER, although there are alot of cheap backpackers in the city centre ($25+ per night):

I stayed at the Lindy Lodge. Its ok, not the best though. But towels get changed everyday, the food is ok and it is very close to PEER. My quickest time was 6 minutes one day (no traffic or lights), but usually it takes 10-20 mins. Don't leave later than 7.30am. I left at 7.15am everyday and it made alot of difference to the traffic.

Lindy Lodge
445 Torrens Rd
Woodville Road
SA
08 8268 2333
$104 per night

The Lakes Resort
141 Brebner Drive
West Lakes
SA
08 8356 4444
$170 per night

Seaton Hotel
253 Tapleys Hill Road
Seaton
SA
08 8345 4645
$75 per night or $200 with ensuite

Links Taverner Hotel
346 Tapleys Hill Road
Seaton
SA
08 8356 3111
Single: $55 ($70 upgrade)
Double: $90 ($110 upgrade)

Aviators Lodge (Comfort Inn)
728 Tapleys Hill Road
West Beach
SA
08 8356 8388
$125 per night
Old Sep 18th 2012, 9:30 am
Just Joined

ricky77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: PEER Course (Adelaide, SA) - Details and information

Hi Adam I move out there on oct 31 and have been doing the distance learning but since I arrive on nov 1st Ive missed the last chance to do the 4 day exam and revision. They have now changed it to a 7 day course which I am now booked in to do. Do you think the course will have changed at all, is it still all open book.
Old Sep 18th 2012, 10:07 am

Hi mate. No its all exactly the same but you just get more revision time and time in the classroom where you go over and over things you aren't sure on. Plus the classes are small (we had 10) so you cover alot. But the way he explained crrent carrying capacity is very good. Just makesure you grasp current carrying capacities and max demand (single and 3 phase).

Yes it is all open book. Everyone was writing notes in there regs too! Plus they give you "suggested revision questions" from your workbook - basically these are the exam questions... so just make sure you bring some sticky tabs to put on your regs pages.

If you do the work you will easily pass. The course is just a little intense because its so fast and theres so much to cram in and do in a sort time... but your doing the 7 day course so it may be more laid back.
Old Sep 18th 2012, 11:04 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

Lindy Lodge
445 Torrens Rd
Woodville Road
SA
08 8268 2333
$104 per night
I stayed here a few years back. Never again. Shit hole.
Old Sep 18th 2012, 11:22 am

hahaha I didn't want to put people off because it's so close to PEER, but yeah it is a hovel!! I stayed in a backpackers in Adelaide City (109 Carrington Street) and it was so much nicer and had better facilities.... and for $25 a night!!! Plus Woodville itself is horrible.... that is a hole and reminded me of something like where Im from at home!!